3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Yet ANOTHER Stack Question!....Sorry!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by morkable
No sorry about the pics, but I have seen them lots, it is real important to get someone that is good to wrap them, cause it looks like crap if they arent fussy. It is a fine line

Kevin
I am not surprised. That is the case with so many aesthetic things!
Old 11-07-2006, 08:16 PM

yep, aint that the truth of it. Good luck with it , I am anxious to see pics when you get it done, from your northern freind

Kevin
Old 11-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Banned

As long as you get a straight through muffler you won't have any problems with EGT's no matter how big or small you go. You could do 4" exhaust with a 4" straight through muffler and you won't notice the difference. I used to run a muffler once upon a time and then I removed it and there wasn't any difference in spool up or EGT's. Just noise.

And yes, I suggest NOT doing anything bigger than 6". Just looks unproportional.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DWiggs - your situation is unique.

You want best performance, best aesthetics, best sound, lowest maintenance and safest operation.

No flappers - like BB said they'll clack you right out of the truck: just drill a small hole(s) at the low point of the exhaust for a drain.

Go with a 4" or 5" inner diameter system to keep exhaust velocity high since you drive so much on the street.

Use a double-wall from the bed floor up. This would allow you to insulate the annular space with high-temperature ceramic fiber or mineral wool insulation and keep the fuel tank from soaking up the heat. Also, the outside diameter could be a big as you'd like for that special look that flips your Wigg.

Obviously, everything must be fabbed out of SS...

p.s. one inch of space between the walls would be ideal
Old 11-07-2006, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R

You want best performance, best aesthetics, best sound, lowest maintenance and safest operation.

No flappers - like BB said they'll clack you right out of the truck: just drill a small hole(s) at the low point of the exhaust for a drain.

Go with a 4" or 5" inner diameter system to keep exhaust velocity high since you drive so much on the street.

Use a double-wall from the bed floor up. This would allow you to insulate the annular space with high-temperature ceramic fiber or mineral wool insulation and keep the fuel tank from soaking up the heat. Also, the outside diameter could be a big as you'd like for that special look that flips your Wigg.

I think you hit the nail on the head, but like you pointed out, I don't want much !

Are you saying have two pipes, one that is the actual exhaust and one that shields the actual exhaist from anything it comes in contact with ?
Old 11-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Banned

Bingo. Darn 10 word minimum.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Bingo. Darn 10 word minimum.
Ingenius! Would the two pipe solution start at the Y or only on the vertical part of the stacks? Should I jet coat both of them and header wrap the inside stack in addition? How much would a muffler reduce noise if I did 5" from the turbo back and then 5" actual stacks with 6" 'stack covers' do you think?
Old 11-07-2006, 09:52 PM

i wouldnt put on stacks if you tow very much especially a boat, it has a tendency to turn it #2 black
Old 11-07-2006, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by strokethis600
i wouldnt put on stacks if you tow very much especially a boat, it has a tendency to turn it #2 black
I only tow my Lambo, my BMW, or some quads/snowmobiles/jet skis, and I figure it should be pretty easy to wash the trailer off.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
Ingenius! Would the two pipe solution start at the Y or only on the vertical part of the stacks? Should I jet coat both of them and header wrap the inside stack in addition? How much would a muffler reduce noise if I did 5" from the turbo back and then 5" actual stacks with 6" 'stack covers' do you think?
I'd do it on the y-pipe and then up the side of the bed and stop it right under the bed rails. With the double pipe you oughta be able to get away with the jet hoat coating and header wrap but if it puts your mind at ease then go ahead and do it. It's only money. Hard to say on the muffler cause that's a personal preference kinda thing. Do a search on here for mufflers and you should be able to get an idea on what you need to run.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:00 PM

I have been contimplating 6" mitred stacks but, the drone of the 4" straight is bad enough as it is. No cat, no muffler, std. cab, stacks ! About 8" behind your head. I don't know about it, I average 350-400 miles per week.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:08 PM

heres a link to a thread of a truck with header wrap around the Y-Pipe for ya..https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ks+header+wrap

I know theres a couple of other photos of a wrapped y pipe that looks real good all wrapped up. Cant find it at the moment.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R

I think Ive found a solution to the annoying CLANKING. rig up some sort of small nipple that keeps the flap from hitting the pipe..thus stops the clanking. It could be done. I personally like flappers and 7" stacks on an 8' bed.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:14 PM

The Nipple is not a bad idea at all. Also, NHDodgeman, I agree; that looks great!
Old 11-08-2006, 09:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
D. - if it was my truck, I would keep the Y under the bed and run the stacks straight through to the desired height.

Everything should be stainless steel, 304 or better (no 400 series)
No jet-coating or wrap required.

With a 1" annular space, a 5" exhaust will get you 7" stacks.
The insulated doublewall will absolutely eliminate drone.

It's possible to double-wall the Y, but prohibitively expensive for the average Joe.

If you are set on flappers, use high-temp gaskets to deaden the sound - they should be internal for aesthetics.

BTW - if you wanted to go high-tech, you could run a smoke-eater in the stacks' outlet to clean up the smoke - but I wouldn't recommend it.

Quick Reply: Yet ANOTHER Stack Question!....Sorry!