3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Yet ANOTHER Stack Question!....Sorry!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Yet ANOTHER Stack Question!....Sorry!

I have been seriously contemplating stacks and think I am getting ready to pull the trigger; I have to set up a ride with another member who lives near me to make sure, but here are my two questions.

(1) Will putting "big-rig" exhaust flaps on my stack solve the problem of having to worry about rain or snow getting inside? Are there any drawbacks to using them?

(2) I want to have a custom fuel cell put in and would have it shaped around the stacks so nothing in the bed got near them. My question is: Is it safe to have a fuel cell wrapped around hot exhaust pipes? I will have the Jet Coated black so that should reduce some of the heat but I wanted some people's opinions who actually knew what they were talking about-unlike me.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Banned

(1) They will solve the problem but they look dorky and sound awful at idle. They make a constant clanking noise.

(2) I'd jet coat them and then wrap them in header wrap and that should be good. Maybe.

(3) Do the stacks.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
...that should be good. Maybe.
What a vote of confidence !!!

I didn't realize that they clanked around. That is definitely NOT what I am going for!! Hopefully, with a muffler and some 7 or 8" stacks, the EGTs will be not much different than my 5" turbo back!
Old 11-07-2006, 07:09 PM

With the stacks, just put a small hole at the lowest point in the pipe, all the water will just drain out, and you wont hear a thing

As for the gas tank, shouldnt be a problem at all, although I would do like Big Blue suggested and do a wrap on your exhaust pipe. I would do this for a couple of reasons, a) It is much safer, less chance of accidental burns b) Less chance of discoloration from heat. And last of all, I really like the looks of a good wrap job.

Kevin
Old 11-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Banned

I strongly recommend going with anything bigger than a 6". Reason why is that the 7 and 8" stacks are going to resonate more and make more noise not to mention that they will look just plain goofy cause they are so big. You ever seen a 7 or 8" stack on a pickup? It looks plain retarded IMO. I went from 4" straight pipe to 4" exhaust into a 5" y-pipe with 5" stacks and my EGT's did absolutely nothing. The little bit of restriction that is there from stacks is not enough to have any effect on EGT's.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Banned

I strongly recommend going with anything bigger than a 6". Reason why is that the 7 and 8" stacks are going to resonate more and make more noise not to mention that they will look just plain goofy cause they are so big. You ever seen a 7 or 8" stack on a pickup? It looks plain retarded IMO. I went from 4" straight pipe to 4" exhaust into a 5" y-pipe with 5" stacks and my EGT's did absolutely nothing. The little bit of restriction that is there from stacks is not enough to have any effect on EGT's.
Hey Blue c'mon man you ain't gotta chop me down like that.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:19 PM

I take it you meant that you strongly recommend AGAINST going with anything larger than 6". At least, that seems to be what the rest of yoru post says. How big would I have to go so that a muffler wouldn't hurt my EGTs becaus eI figure a muffler would eliminate the drone sound and keep the stack from being "too loud".
Old 11-07-2006, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by morkable
With the stacks, just put a small hole at the lowest point in the pipe, all the water will just drain out, and you wont hear a thing

As for the gas tank, shouldnt be a problem at all, although I would do like Big Blue suggested and do a wrap on your exhaust pipe. I would do this for a couple of reasons, a) It is much safer, less chance of accidental burns b) Less chance of discoloration from heat. And last of all, I really like the looks of a good wrap job.

Kevin
Have any pics of stacks with said "good wrap job" ?
Old 11-07-2006, 07:23 PM
Banned

Wiggs there is no way around it if you put 7" stacks on there it will be very very loud I ran around for half a day with no muffler and it was so loud It would rattle the facia on the front of my house when ideling, with a muffler it is better but it still will still rattle my dash under acceleration and it vibrates the rear view mirror so bad you cant see anything out of it. So if you think you can hang with me than get them if you can't than it ok I understand.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by JD Dearden
Wiggs there is no way around it if you put 7" stacks on there it will be very very loud I ran around for half a day with no muffler and it was so loud It would rattle the facia on the front of my house when ideling, with a muffler it is better but it still will still rattle my dash under acceleration and it vibrates the rear view mirror so bad you cant see anything out of it. So if you think you can hang with me than get them if you can't than it ok I understand.
Look at you. Always causin' trouble ! Here's the thing. I like the noise, because I am the driver. My fiancé would love the noise except she tries to sleep most of the time, and my Great Dane Diesel, well, he is just the biggest baby on Earth and would probably freak out!
Old 11-07-2006, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
Have any pics of stacks with said "good wrap job" ?
You know what I mean by the wrap though right, just the bottom part that isnt chromed. To see some good wraps look at some harley sites, or some hot rod sites,,

Kevin
Old 11-07-2006, 07:43 PM

I should be available this weekend if you want to hook up for a ride in my goofy 7" stacked Dually. It is loud but, you'll just have to hear for yourself how loud. My rearview mirror also vibrates at certain RPM's like having a pair of subs in the back.

Is the Lambo operational?
Old 11-07-2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by morkable
You know what I mean by the wrap though right, just the bottom part that isnt chromed. To see some good wraps look at some harley sites, or some hot rod sites,,

Kevin
Yeah, I know what you mean. I am jet-coating the stacks black, so hopefully that along with a wrap-job would work wonders. I take it you do not have any pics then ?
Old 11-07-2006, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by J Double
I should be available this weekend if you want to hook up for a ride in my goofy 7" stacked Dually. It is loud but, you'll just have to hear for yourself how loud. My rearview mirror also vibrates at certain RPM's like having a pair of subs in the back.

Is the Lambo operational?
Lambo is operational; however, it is in Pittsburgh. When are you available ? At all early on Friday? I only ask because I might be going back to Pittsburgh again this weekend. If not, I will be home the following one.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:49 PM

No sorry about the pics, but I have seen them lots, it is real important to get someone that is good to wrap them, cause it looks like crap if they arent fussy. It is a fine line

Kevin

Quick Reply: Yet ANOTHER Stack Question!....Sorry!