3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Xillarader is Visible!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jrussell
This is really what it comes down to!

They can refuse to work on your truck because they don't like your shoe laces...and there's nothing you can do to change it. Sure you can get an attorney and fight them, but if you actually did win, would you even want them working on your truck against their will?
Plus the attorney fees probably cost more then the original repair would cost
Old 09-17-2007, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, but I'd rather fight for what's right.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
Plus the attorney fees probably cost more then the original repair would cost
To fight DC? Probably more than you paid for the truck!
Old 09-17-2007, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Yeah, but I'd rather fight for what's right.
not to start fight...but getting DC to warranty engine parts on a truck that has had a box or programmer is not "right"
Old 09-17-2007, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
not to start fight...but getting DC to warranty engine parts on a truck that has had a box or programmer is not "right"

You're right. I meant for the people who don't have a power adder but DC suspects they do and denies warranty. 'Cause that's where this is leading.....
Old 09-17-2007, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
You're right. I meant for the people who don't have a power adder but DC suspects they do and denies warranty. 'Cause that's where this is leading.....
gotcha
Old 09-17-2007, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by omaharam
I don't know how to use the DRBIII or the StarScan, so tell me if this is true or not. I was told that you can look up history on the truck from just about every snesor. It would seem to me that they could look at compression history, emissions, oxygen readings, etc. and know that the truck has been running more fuel and air than stock. So the ecu never shows boost was higher than 36psi and rail pressure never higher than 24k, but it would seem to me they could look at compression history and know that it has had more air and fuel injected into the combustion chamber.

To everyone else.
Again. Everyone says they have to PROVE it. That's not exactly the case. If they tell you they think you've had a box/module/whaterver on it and they aren't going to work on your problem under warranty, what are you going to do about it? Nothing. There is nothing you can do.

Umm, there's no "compression sensor" on a Cummins, therefore, no way to monitor it!

Boost and fuel/rail pressure, yes...but as Quad said, there are ways to hide almost anything

Chris
Old 09-17-2007, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by signature600
Umm, there's no "compression sensor" on a Cummins, therefore, no way to monitor it!

Boost and fuel/rail pressure, yes...but as Quad said, there are ways to hide almost anything

Chris
Not true. My dad's 06 was just in the shop because he had a CEL for low compression. It is sensitive enough that due to a worn rod bearing and the tiny amount that would cause the piston to come up short of normal TDC, it knew there was compression loss.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:40 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The code wasn't for low compression, it was for a cylinder misfire. The ecm is able to detect a misfire, but not able to detect WHY there is a misfire. The ecm has no sensor for fuel pump pressure from the lift pump, spark ( whether it is there or not ) on a gasser!, compression, broken valve spring, ect. ,tons of variables. It can only tell that one cylinder is not providing the power that the others are. It is the technicians job to determine the why. People ( not everyone and not intended to the poster ^ )think that these scanners are magic and "tell" the technician what to replace. All the computer is able to do is report a problem. It is then the technicians job to determine if it is a mechanical or electrical problem or a combination of both. The computer keeps track of tons of certain things, none of which are able to prove whether or not there is a box on the truck. The scanner is only as capable as the person who is holding it. Just like a personal computer - garbage in= garbage out! LOL
Old 09-17-2007, 12:47 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Are you saying that the ECM was showing a cylinder imbalance? I guess you could check the buddy cylinders by the firing order and find out which one is bad. I didnt think the Chrysler ECM's were that refined. I work mostly on ISX's and thats how you do it on them. I have a Snap On scanner which is supposed to be full function, and it does not show cylinder imbalance. I think I need to TALK to the Snap On ma. this week
Old 09-17-2007, 02:38 PM

Never heard of a compression sensor...other than a MAP sensor

Seems like it would be costly to put 6 of them on there!

Chris
Old 09-17-2007, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by vzdude
The code wasn't for low compression, it was for a cylinder misfire. The ecm is able to detect a misfire, but not able to detect WHY there is a misfire. The ecm has no sensor for fuel pump pressure from the lift pump, spark ( whether it is there or not ) on a gasser!, compression, broken valve spring, ect. ,tons of variables. It can only tell that one cylinder is not providing the power that the others are. It is the technicians job to determine the why. People ( not everyone and not intended to the poster ^ )think that these scanners are magic and "tell" the technician what to replace. All the computer is able to do is report a problem. It is then the technicians job to determine if it is a mechanical or electrical problem or a combination of both. The computer keeps track of tons of certain things, none of which are able to prove whether or not there is a box on the truck. The scanner is only as capable as the person who is holding it. Just like a personal computer - garbage in= garbage out! LOL
I'm telling you what they told him. They said they plugged it in and it told them that #5 had low compression. So now they would have to start looking into what caused it. After some other testing (there was also a noise present) they decided to pull the pan and discovered it had a bad bearing. Why wouldn't they say #5 had a misfire rather than low compression if that's what the scanner told them?
Old 09-17-2007, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by omaharam
I'm telling you what they told him. They said they plugged it in and it told them that #5 had low compression. So now they would have to start looking into what caused it. After some other testing (there was also a noise present) they decided to pull the pan and discovered it had a bad bearing. Why wouldn't they say #5 had a misfire rather than low compression if that's what the scanner told them?
Because they're dealer techs...and the probably didn't have a clue, so they told you something. I just find it hard to believe that there is a sensor, inside the cylinder, measuring compression, and that it's been tested enough to maintain accuracy out to 300K miles!

But if the dealer said it, it has to be true I guess!

BTW, not picking on you personally, I just can't stand most dealers!
Chris
Old 09-17-2007, 03:20 PM

They plugged the scanner into my ecm and told me I have to loose 20lbs. I told them they better check the seat sensors
Old 09-17-2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by 05HDRAM
They plugged the scanner into my ecm and told me I have to loose 20lbs. I told them they better check the seat sensors
thats funny

the only thing a scanner can see on a cylinder is a injector misfire....
there is no compression sensor/s.

Quick Reply: Xillarader is Visible!