3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Who is running an HTT62/71/13?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who is running an HTT62/71/13?

Like the title says,whos running one? I'm looking to upgrade from my HTT62/12 and want to know how this turbo does when towing. Talked to HTT yesterday and one guy said not good for towing and another said okay with my mods.Now I'm twice as confused. I know with my mods I'm working this 62/12 to death when I play at the strip.Boost hits 48-50psi before falling back to 44psi wastegate set point.Looking for that happy medium.Also considering twins but HTT also left me more confused on this as well.They acted as if twins were for hp and dyno numbers,nothing more.I pull regularly and don't want to compromise low end power but would like some more top end.Is this possible with a larger single/twins or am I looking for a set-up that doesn't exist?
Anyone who has some real world experience and has used a 62/12 and upgrade to more?
Not looking for outrageous hp #'s, just more top end without loss of bottom end.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The neww ss turbo is going to be exactly what you want. The larger compressor wheel will make a huge difference!!! Ithink your headed in the wright direction
Old 12-13-2007, 08:59 PM

I stopped by and talked with HTT in person. They told me to get a 64/13 and I would be garanteed to put out 550+ at the wheels and still be able to tow. The 64/13/71 would make even more but is a little laggy.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Banned

I had one on my 03 and couldnt have been happier. The 62/71/13 will be more then fine with your mods to me anything larger then a 64/71/13 is where towing becomes an issue, some say a 64 is okay to tow with when a cam is used 66s just become a pain. Twins are the best of bost worlds fast spool up great for towing and for the strip, their are a few at all shops who are just their to answer the phones and have no right dealing with tech support issues. I will be going back to HTT.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:33 PM

Homewrecker the 12cm exhaust housing you are running is costing you with high egt increases, and limits on hp & top end IMO your best econo upgrade would be to go to a larger exhaust housing 14cm then you can add a 71 wheel and get lower drive pressure better top end lower egt more hp. for your needs with towing if you ever want to get an exhaust brake the cast iron 14cm is going to be better then the 13cm stainless , a lot more reliable & a better bet for your needs. I had a HTT 62/65/14 and it made 511 hp & 975 lbs TQ ran a very high 12s low 13s and towed like a champ worked great on the street very quick, I think it was about the best setup for me without going with twins , by adding the 71 wheel you would have even more top end ! I say For your needs & goals HTT 62 /71/14 this can all be done at HTT you can send your turbo in and get it upgraded relatively cheap !
call High Tech ask for dave, tell him nick from (big power) in ca told you to call him, for a hookup on your turbo.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:10 AM

Appreciate the input fellows.Turbos cost too much to just run out and buy without doing some asking around. It doesn't help when 2 people from the same company tell you conflicting information(HTT)
I've rode in a truck with the 64SS , slow to spool but when it finally did it was awesome.Definitely not what I'm looking for.

How do twins do with a 62-12 on top
Old 12-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
My twins are great with the 62/71/13SS. I would go that route that way you have a quick single, and the ability to go twins with no problem.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:44 AM

I'm running a HTT 62/71/13ss and I'm at 5000 feet altitide and tow up from there. I started out with a 62/12 because I listened to everyone about lag, surge, etc. I wish I hadn't. I upgraded to the HTT and it spools as fast if not faster than stock. I tow a toy hauler with it in the Summer and it pulls just fine, even below 2k RPM with no surge. If I pulled a heavy grade with a little fuel and the stock turbo I could get surge below 2k. It sounded like an old pressure cooker with the steam bell on the top. This HTT ss has been great so far. It hasn't done anything "weird" yet. With the Smarty on there and the MP-8 you should be more than fine. Your cruising EGT's will be slightly elevated but that's about the only thing you'll notice. The HTT's with the 71mm turbine wheel only come in a 13 or 16 cm stainless housing. Don't let that scare you though. The 13 ss will outflow and outcool a 14 cm cast all day long. Send your HTB2 in and pay the upgrade fee, you won't regret it. Besides, if you're like me you now will know that the 13ss will make a great top turbo if needs change. The way mine towed last Summer though I don't see me upgrading to twins anytime soon.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by staarma
I'm running a HTT 62/71/13ss and I'm at 5000 feet altitide and tow up from there. I started out with a 62/12 because I listened to everyone about lag, surge, etc. I wish I hadn't. I upgraded to the HTT and it spools as fast if not faster than stock. I tow a toy hauler with it in the Summer and it pulls just fine, even below 2k RPM with no surge. If I pulled a heavy grade with a little fuel and the stock turbo I could get surge below 2k. It sounded like an old pressure cooker with the steam bell on the top. This HTT ss has been great so far. It hasn't done anything "weird" yet. With the Smarty on there and the MP-8 you should be more than fine. Your cruising EGT's will be slightly elevated but that's about the only thing you'll notice. The HTT's with the 71mm turbine wheel only come in a 13 or 16 cm stainless housing. Don't let that scare you though. The 13 ss will outflow and outcool a 14 cm cast all day long. Send your HTB2 in and pay the upgrade fee, you won't regret it. Besides, if you're like me you now will know that the 13ss will make a great top turbo if needs change. The way mine towed last Summer though I don't see me upgrading to twins anytime soon.
Thanks for the reply.Thats what I've been looking for,some first hand experience with both. I wasn't going to upgrade if I was going to lose alot on the bottom.Twins are still an option but don't really want to go that route at this point.
What exactly is the killer wheel? Is it a low pressure drive wheel?
Old 12-14-2007, 11:46 AM

Yes, the killer wheel/low drive pressure wheel is the 71mm turbine wheel. The standard is 65mm for the HTB2. It just moves the flow through the housing a little better which aids in cooling and spooling. That matched with the stainless metal and the change in grooving in the housing nets a big difference.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:30 PM

I'm running the 62/65/13ss and love it. Cools well, no surge, spools easy and pulls very hard all the way to 45psi - which is what my WG is set at. Great all-around turbo.

Sid