3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

When will banks have a power kit for our trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:When will banks have a power kit for our trucks?

I heard beginning of november bout a month ago.

just called today and they said december :'(

Can't decide if I want to wait and see what they come up with or go with someone else ???

They good thing about Banks is that they are about 15 miles from my house. And they do everything for you, even gauges ;D

BUT you pay for it

BUT there stuff works
Old 10-31-2003, 01:51 PM

Got an Edge EZ chip, 4' exhaust, Magnum Force AFE, Gauges for about a third of what Banks will charge. Just my 2 cents
Old 10-31-2003, 02:47 PM

Sounds like you got some good power with what you got, but lets add up what you spent ;D

Edge EZ $600
4" exhaust $400
Magnum AFE $200
Gauges $200

TOTAL $1400

Just guessing on the above prices. I might be off a few bucks

That sounds like one of the starter kits from Banks. The "Stinger Kit"

I beleive those run about $1700 ;D

PS the "Stinger Kit" comes with a new wastegate maybe that is were the $300 bucks went ;D
Old 10-31-2003, 03:09 PM

Bank$ charge$ too much imo. If you're waiting on them, then you must have way too much $$$$$$ burning a hole in your pocket. That is not necessarily a bad thing though......... :P
Old 10-31-2003, 03:16 PM

Did you read the post above comparing the prices :- ???

Looks like your paying bout the same
Old 10-31-2003, 04:08 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stinger kit doesn't come with a fuel module though does it? Now we are at $600 + $300... Hmmmm :

J-eh
Old 11-01-2003, 04:25 PM

You are kidding about getting a Banks kit right??? IMO, their kits suck. Some of their intakes have actually been proven to lose hp on the dyno! Their "awesome" dakota with "700hp" barely broke in the 12s w/ nitrous. Garmons diesel had a stock 12v 465hp dakota that ran 12.0. Something doesn't add up. Point is, take your truck to the local tuning shop or better do it yourself. Chips and gauges are super easy. Banks doesn't deserve anything, they are not pushing the limits like Enterprise, Schieds, or Piers. Save your money and get more bang for your buck!!!
Old 11-01-2003, 08:36 PM
Chapter President

The Banks truck might not be as fast as others at the drags, but it did do what it was built for. It did get the land speed record. I am not a Banks fan, and their stuff does cost a lot of money, but no reason to slam them.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:44 PM

Banks had over a year head start with the 3rd Gen. engines before any other performance company even got to see one. But don't be expecting anything out soon. Banks in known for taking an extremely long time to come out with upgrades. I would definantly be looking at the other programing companies out there such as TST and EDGE.

Horace
Old 11-02-2003, 02:52 PM

but no reason to slam them.
I think their 700hp claim is bogus! and it shows at the track!
Old 11-02-2003, 03:33 PM

Their "awesome" dakota with "700hp" barely broke in the 12s w/ nitrous.
From http://www.bankspower.com/sidewinder-dragrace.cfm

A couple of footnotes:

First, nitrous oxide injection and propane injection are legal and allowed for diesel drag competition, as are multiple turbos. The Sidewinder made its 12.16 pass with a SINGLE TURBO and NO NITROUS oxide or propane injection – just straight #2 diesel fuel.

Second, driver Sheldon Tackett is brand NEW to drag racing. He's still learning how best to stage the truck at the starting line and how to best apply throttle for best performance.

And third, Bandimere is at an ALTITUDE of 5860 feet. Runs closer to sea level will also be done with the Sidewinder in exactly the same configuration in the near future to compare clockings.
So no NOS

Newbie driver

High altitude.

Oh yeah rear end ratio. They still had the salt flat gears in the pumpkin.

The rearend used for both the street and drag racing is a Currie Track 9 unit. It was fitted with a 2.75:1 ring and pinion ratio for the initial drag runs. A more aggressive ratio will be used for future
You need to compare apples to apples.

I'm not pro or anti any company just scientific.

I do think that the truck makes 700hp easy. 12.16 with a 2.75 rear end at high altitude... I bet it is a good bit over 700hp at sea level.

A single large VGT is better than twins if you can control it. I like what they did with that.

As for things like performance gains vs loss on the manifolds you may have to look at the dyno across the entire rpm range to see what the manifold was really designed to do. Sometimes making a high peak hp is less important to making it across the entire power band.

Old 11-02-2003, 04:26 PM

First off their 700+ hp is not bogus... but you have to remember that that is at the flywheel and with dual air to water intercoolers and large injectors. The injectors hey had at the track are smaller than the ones they ran at the salt flats. Also they have the air to air intercooler on. A single Large VGT is not better than twins just because you cannot move the air needed to burn than much fuel. If you watch their video you can see their EGT's hit about 1600 degress... thats with a highly ported and polished head and dual air to water intercoolers. To compare this to what we see in the high performance world think of Nathans truck (IDAHO CDT) He is probably running around 800 fly wheel hp and doesn't see close to 1600 degrees. Or look at MADOG's truck thats probably over 900 fly wheel hp and he has EGT's around 1400 degrees. Banks definantly has a great truck and ya gotta love what they did with that Big Hoss head and that VGT turbo. But they could have definantly done a whole lot more with the budget they had with that project.

Back to the subject at hand... I bet 3rd gen upgrades from Banks is still a long way away. And I honestly dont think that you will be able to beat the mods that are comming soon from TST and EDGE in quallity or power.

Horace
Old 11-02-2003, 05:46 PM

A single Large VGT is not better than twins just because you cannot move the air needed to burn than much fuel.
Why not?

A turbo is in effect a pump.

pump 1 + Pump 2 can indeed = pump 3

Are you thinking parallel or sequential twins?

One big turbo can be as big as two smaller ones. If I only had a compressor map for the hy55 and some of the twins.. Oh well.

I like the VGT since it is alot like having sequential twins but with just one turbo. If you get one with a big enough turbine housing when the geometry is open all the way is just like.. if not better than an external wastegate.

Twins are nice too.. IMHO especially sequentials on the street. Anything sequential twins can do VGT can do better if sized properly. Anything parallel twins can do a properly sized VGT can do with less lag.

VGT is a good concept their is just alot more R&D on the twins as it has been around longer.

The hightened EGTs is likely just a tuning issue... Just running rich... Yes they changed injectors but I do believe that tuning for that elevation was the issue. I bet if some of these other trucks were tuned and geared for a landspeed run at low elevation and then run on a drag strip above 5k ft elevation in thin air they would run a bit hot as well. I also mean even when you start to tune for it. The first changes you make may still be a bit too rich.

I agree that with their budget many could have done more.. I guess I'm more of a fan of VGT than banks.

I would'nt buy a banks kit (maybe not even one component) and I'm the one describing the reasons for the quirks in their rig. I guess that says alot.

For exhaust I'll weld up my own. For an exhaust mani ATS.. ETC... I guess I'll be looking over the market for the best individual component. A little of many mfgs under the hood but chosen for specific reasons.

Old 11-02-2003, 06:49 PM

pump 1 + Pump 2 can indeed = pump 3
True but that pump 3 better be a monster to equal the compounding effect of a high pressure and low pressure charger. I am of course talking about sequential chargers mine being an HX40/18 and HT4B which spool every big as fast as any single HX50 or HX55 out there. Of course they move much much more air without comprimising spoolup. The VGT's are awsome... but reliability and cost is the limiting factor right now. Buying a $4000 charger that has an expected lifespan of less than half of the HX series chargers is not a good idea in my opinion.

As for Banks EGT problem it was on the salt flats not at the track. They set the truck up differently for the track by installing the air to air cooler, smaller injectors, and an auto trany. The EGT problem was definantly caused by how small the compressor on that HY55 is for the amount of fuel they are trying to burn. Yes the HY55 will run cooler and spoolup faster than the HX55 but thats only because of less backpressure at the same amount of boost. They both move the same amount of air. Even by increasing the airflow of the Cummins engine itself by heavy porting, polishing, and a camshaft you still need a lot of boost to burn fuel and cool EGT's. With the budget and the fuel system they had to work with they should not have even unbolted that thing from there engine dyno untill they put down 900+ hp.

Quick Reply: When will banks have a power kit for our trucks?