3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

When will banks have a power kit for our trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:When will banks have a power kit for our trucks?

True but that pump 3 better be a monster to equal the compounding effect of a high pressure and low pressure charger.
The compounding effect is'nt like parallel twins so it need not be as big as both of them put together. Also at low RPM a parallels larger turbo is'nt doing all that much of the pumping. At upper rpm it is doing all the work. For the most part the smaller twin just eliminates the lag a single turbo the size of a big one would have. They do compound but not on a scale that cannot be achieved matched with a single large turbo. A single large non VGT would likely lag and exibit compressor surge.

I have more exp with turbo car engines. What is the output of a HY55 in lb/min?

I have run a 60lb min compressor wheel (garret based turbo) on a 2 liter 16 valve gas engine and made over 500hp at the wheels. I can't realy compare lb a min or CFM correlation to engine size from the gas engines I have cranked up directly to a diesel. The redline is a lot higher I rev the 2.0 to about 9k and it does't phase it. A 2.0 engine at 6k rpm takes in as much air as a 4 liter at 3k rpm. Know what I mean? The stock cummins turbo looks puny compared to the aftermarket one on my car. But maybe something almost that big would work since the car at 9k takes in about as much air as the ISB at 3k?

I really don't think the holset VGT has that much of a durability problem. Compared to a garret VGT it is about 100x simpler but just as effective. If they get alot more for them they are making some good money. The actuator is'nt that much different than a wastgate actuator and the shaft speed sensor just consists of a flat spot on the shaft and a threaded mounting boss.

The Hx and HY55 both have the same compressor wheel and compressor cover. Obviously the turbine wheel and turbine housing are different. I don't think the shaft diameter and bearings are any different. Yes holset does use smaller diameter shafts on all their turbos than turbos like the B1. My guess is people barking them is what kills them. So what wears any different than a non VGT holset? The VGT ring? I doubt it. Now one of garrets VGT's I could see having problems as it wears and gets dirty. Each vane has to pivot in unison with the others. Many moving parts with close tolerances in high heat. Not so with a holset. Just one moving part and it should'nt bind when dirty as it can have looser tolerances yet stay aligned.

Oh well we are a long ways off of the subject which was Banks power packs.

Old 11-02-2003, 07:53 PM

One last thing to consider. Many on this site have repaorted compatability problems with banks equipment. If you get it and it ain't enough you are stuck because nobdy elses stuff works with it. Just a thought.
Jason
Old 11-02-2003, 11:36 PM

Hopefully the competition won't scratch when we roll through the gate.
Who the hell do they think they are? What a joke! Jeff Garmon and his dodge will ALWAYS be able to spank that red thing. Basically I guess they have a 560hp cummins(20% drivetrain loss).
Old 11-03-2003, 08:45 AM

my 99 dodge had a banks kit
one of the first kits they made for the 24 valve (before they tied in the egt gauge to the ottomind)

it worked great, ran smooth (no stumbles) and did what they said it would do
that truck is still running with no problems , on the stock VP and pulls better than my 02 with the comp on it and a new VP

OH YAH , THATS RIGHT, it was rumored that TST had a little something to do with the building of the "ottomind" that was included with that kit and my ottomind was recalled because it put out "too much power for the clutch"
shhh, I didnt send it in

Old 11-03-2003, 08:59 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Do any of you recall a Banks rep posting on the site earlier this year?

He msg'd me stating he wanted to 'Dialog' with me and asked for my phone number. I gave it to him and he called.
He was curious about my Scotty Air II. He then assured me he was going to call me back in one week. No call.

This does concern me.

The comment about TST is a good example of my concern.

Reverse engineering comes to mind. I hope thats not what they are doing to produce another product.

Thats all I will post on this.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:04 AM

Scotty I wouldn't be worried if they reverse engineer an air intake as good as they reverse engineer'd the TST Powermax .

Old 11-03-2003, 10:07 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I was thinking more about the 3rd gen power stuff.

[quote author=Battering Ram link=board=49;threadid=21753;start=15#msg204961 date=1067875489]
Scotty I wouldn't be worried if they reverse engineer an air intake as good as they reverse engineer'd the TST Powermax .

[/quote]
Old 11-03-2003, 10:34 AM
JKE

maybe that is why they are so slow in releasing new product....waiting on others to succeed or fail and then follow suit? :-
Old 11-03-2003, 11:04 AM

I wasnt saying that they copied TST with the first 24 valve ottomind

im saying they bought it from them to be sold as a Banks product

if you look at the connections and everything about the box it very closely resembles TST boxes

I wish they would have stuck with it
it worked great

my brother bought the same kit 2 years later
(different ottomind)(egt defueling)(clutch friendly)
was a pooch in comparison
Old 11-03-2003, 11:19 AM

[quote author=BLUE04 link=board=49;threadid=21753;start=15#msg204767 date=1067824386]
One last thing to consider. Many on this site have repaorted compatability problems with banks equipment. If you get it and it ain't enough you are stuck because nobdy elses stuff works with it. Just a thought.
Jason
[/quote]
I believe this was true if you had a kit that the ottomind was tied into the boost and egt gauges

some of the kits did not do this
I dont know if they are still available
Old 11-03-2003, 02:21 PM
JKE

well, I don't know what they are doing hence the :-.

I have contacted them on several occasions and found the tech guy to be helpful. Their products do seam slightly higher on the $$ scale than others.

I, personally, do not see the advantage.

Everyone has their own choice as to whom they buy from....

John
Old 11-03-2003, 02:23 PM

i've already donated $3,500 to banks on an excursion psd - it runs and sounds great, but i spent too much.
my '03 ctd will get a monster exhaust from banks and that IS IT.
if i could have done the psd different, i would have gone with the banks exhaust, edge electronics, bhaf intake and a ball bearing turbo. would have spent about the same (with BB turbo). but then again, i would have the BALL BEARING TURBO!

scotty has a point - banks preaches massive air, but their k&n drop in filter IS NOT the solution (junk). the scotty cold intake system is what banks wants, but maybe banks is unable to get around scotty's patent - or whatever they call it in canada? do canadian patents matter in the u.s. anyway? i'm sure the sidewinder's at banks have already tried all the "work arounds"
fact: banks named a kit after their business practices, known as the sidewinder ;D
Old 11-03-2003, 03:16 PM

Whe I firsr called Banks about my 03, they wanted $750.00 for the 4' exhaust and another $250.00 to install.

My prices for my mods....

Edge-$400.00
Exhaust-$375.00
AFE-$189.00
Guges-$300.00

Total-$1264.00

Double that price and you will have your comparable Banks setup.....
Old 11-03-2003, 03:42 PM

Lets keep this thread informative and headed in the right direction. I don't want to see any vendor bashing. Things can be said many ways, and sometimes something said can be taken many different ways.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: When will banks have a power kit for our trucks?