3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Whats the skinny on water meth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so I guess, if I am reading this right, I should run just straight water, and maybe drain it for the winter and run nothing? I know that the -35 and -40 washer fluid dosent freeze here, (and if it was going to freeze I am sure it would do it here) but now I am worried that it might have too much methanol in it. Im going to have to do more research on this

Kevin
Old 12-07-2006, 12:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Don M
Im pro water and even agree with some meth added for additional temp control. The idea here is to keep cylinder temps under control that in turn keeps your engine alive.

I dont like too much meth added because it can ignite way too early and cause a detonation ( "nailing" is the less used Diesel term ) problem. You may not always be able to hear it either.

There is undoubtedly some confusion on the EGT and the cylinder temps between the older Cummins and the newer CR engines.

In the past we could run 12 Valves off the gage many many times and not do as much harm as we do with the CR pistons, rings, valves, etc.

The cylinder temps are much higher on the CR VS the 12 and VP44 24 with the same EGT in many conditions. This is why we have so many CR engines dropping valve seats, scoring cylinder walls and melting stuff. Seems like every time I turn around someone has roached a CR engine. Not becasue they are not as durable. Actually the opposite is true. But because the thermal loads are so much higher.

Looks like im going to get some water/meth for my truck! Anything to increase reliability, and durability of the engine. Would running the regular windsheild washer fluid work(25% i belive) or is that to much meth, im mainly interested in cooling things down but i wouldnt mind picking up a few ponies while im at it as long as its safe.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Don:

Thanks for the help on this water/methanol discussion! I may have had the engines "reversed" on what you were talking about, but still know that I had TERRIBLE detonation on my 96' when I added a 20% mixture about two years ago! With the timing at 21+ I don't think it is a good idea. It scared me enough that I will never put it in my 96' again!

I will stick with the distilled water and the "lubricant" for now. If it gets real cold here in eastern N.C. I will just drain the system, flush the tank and lines with antifreeze and wait until it warms up.

Thanks again Don!

-------
John_P
Old 12-07-2006, 02:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John_P
Don:

Thanks for the help on this water/methanol discussion! I may have had the engines "reversed" on what you were talking about, but still know that I had TERRIBLE detonation on my 96' when I added a 20% mixture about two years ago! With the timing at 21+ I don't think it is a good idea. It scared me enough that I will never put it in my 96' again!

I will stick with the distilled water and the "lubricant" for now. If it gets real cold here in eastern N.C. I will just drain the system, flush the tank and lines with antifreeze and wait until it warms up.

Thanks again Don!

-------
John_P
Darn trailer queens!!!