3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

What fuel system upgrade would you buy.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This whole lift pump thing is crazy!!!! I need one but man I am getting about even on the GDP and FASS. Can anyone tell me if the Fass comes with the complete kit or am I going to have to buy anything else. I looked at the GDP and everything is complete. Please help I need to get another LP
Old 09-23-2007, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cloride
This whole lift pump thing is crazy!!!! I need one but man I am getting about even on the GDP and FASS. Can anyone tell me if the Fass comes with the complete kit or am I going to have to buy anything else. I looked at the GDP and everything is complete. Please help I need to get another LP
from the shopping I have done the FASS comes with everything you need......I think I am slowly leaning over to the FASS system for what I want..I really like the clean all in one unit that hides in the rear fender I think I will just plumb mine to take a back up 12volt lift pump for an emergency..just keep it behind the seat....
Old 09-23-2007, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
from the shopping I have done the FASS comes with everything you need......I think I am slowly leaning over to the FASS system for what I want..I really like the clean all in one unit that hides in the rear fender I think I will just plumb mine to take a back up 12volt lift pump for an emergency..just keep it behind the seat....
Yeah the FASS System is nice, and with the GDP you need to buy extra things so the cost is really about the same give or take a few pennies. I think it really just comes down to personal preference. I just have never had to buy one so I still don't know which one to get.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:27 PM

I'm leaning toward a GDP but for the price I would want a decent warranty.

LOL, if the factory junker that cummins ok'd lasted 4 years and 24000 miles so far then you'd think the touted super pumps would all have super warranties.

LOL, I may have to get a hand pump and let my wife do that crazy hand jive when we go down the road.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:07 AM

Now for a little pump **** for you fellas. After all the research I did, I ended up settling on the PSI Components Eliminator kit. I love this fuel system and Shane at WickedDiesels gave me a smokin deal on the kit. I really believe this is one of the best kits available. I am currently running 15 PSI without boost reference and even at WOT throttle with the Smarty and the Quad Race I can't get it to budge off 15. It is a straight forward installation and I still have ready access to the stock system if needed.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:54 AM

i have the F.A.S.S and i love, it is not that loud, granted it is a little loud when u first turn the key, but once the truck is running and u have ur stereo going u can barley hear it, but i am old school so for me i love the hearing all the noises my vehicle and compnents make, plus i like the fact that it is an all in one package, fuel pump, water and air seperator. plus not to mention its beefy design. the only thing i am and i would recommend is changing over to steel braided lines, the pushlock hose is prone to cracking and leaking over time. my lines are leaking were the line meets with the fittings. plus the vibration of the engine can cause wear spots in the lines. just my opinion
Old 09-24-2007, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Justice4all
Now for a little pump **** for you fellas. After all the research I did, I ended up settling on the PSI Components Eliminator kit. I love this fuel system and Shane at WickedDiesels gave me a smokin deal on the kit. I really believe this is one of the best kits available. I am currently running 15 PSI without boost reference and even at WOT throttle with the Smarty and the Quad Race I can't get it to budge off 15. It is a straight forward installation and I still have ready access to the stock system if needed.
the only problem I have with that set up is the water sep and the filter are the same thing...and only 10 micron rated
Old 09-24-2007, 02:03 PM

How much do the FAAS and the GDP run
Old 09-24-2007, 02:28 PM

the only problem I have with that set up is the water sep and the filter are the same thing...and only 10 micron rated
And this is bad because???? There has never been a substantial argument to make me believe that the water separator and the filter have to be separate.

The pump come with a 6 micron filter not 10, but if you want a lower micron rating the filters are available. I run a 3 micron water separating filter on mine.

I just don't agree with everyone limiting themselves to just the FASS and GDP when there are plenty of systems just as good or better for less money.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Banned

The ONE thing that makes me nervous about the FASS in not being able to buy a pump in and emergency...knowing I can get a Walbro pump at the parts store is a big plus....I really like the water separator and BIG filters on the FASS too.... if FASS went bad you would almost HAVE to be towed to the next town....if the walbro went bad you hitch a ride to the next town and pick one up......it's a tough call I think
On the trucks with the intank stock pump, there is no need for a tow. When you install either of these systems the stock pump and lines stay on the truck, they are not used but you still leave them installed, and god forbid the aftermarket pump goes out on the road, all you have to do is hook the stock sytem back up the the filter bowl or injection pump, reinstall the relay and go.

It just might come in handy one day.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:38 PM

I thought the FASS system was put in place of the stock fuel pump. And the GDP was an additional pump added in to the fuel system. For exapmle the FASS sytems on the 7.3 PSD use the stock fuel pump (depending on flow size), there is no pump included in some of those kits. The Prices are about even for the GDP you must add the bigline kit with 2 Micron filter, for those kits to be about even. IF I am wrong let me know, cause I am still on the fence abut which to do before I add my money in more performance parts.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by silverrhino
I thought the FASS system was put in place of the stock fuel pump. And the GDP was an additional pump added in to the fuel system. For exapmle the FASS sytems on the 7.3 PSD use the stock fuel pump (depending on flow size), there is no pump included in some of those kits. The Prices are about even for the GDP you must add the bigline kit with 2 Micron filter, for those kits to be about even. IF I am wrong let me know, cause I am still on the fence abut which to do before I add my money in more performance parts.
When a new fuel system is installed you drill a hole in the tank and install a new pickup tube then run a new larger line from the tank to the pump then to the motor. None of the stock fuel lines or pump are used, so they are still able to operate if you reinstall them to the motor and install the relay but stay dormant with the aftermarket system in place.

The main thing people get confused with the whole FASS systems are, FASS is a model of pump not a brand. Fuel.Air.Seperation.System that is the unit that includes the pump and filters, the pump only is a HPFP (High.Performance.Fuel.Pump) I bet the system on the Powerstroke you are thinking of is a Big Line Kit, which replaces the stock lines with bigger hoses.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Justice4all
And this is bad because???? There has never been a substantial argument to make me believe that the water separator and the filter have to be separate.

The pump come with a 6 micron filter not 10, but if you want a lower micron rating the filters are available. I run a 3 micron water separating filter on mine.

I just don't agree with everyone limiting themselves to just the FASS and GDP when there are plenty of systems just as good or better for less money.
thanks for the input I was not aware of a 3 micron combo...they should sell the kit with that instead of the bf1259.
my thoughts are the combos would need to be changed more often thats all...and thats not a fact just my thinking..I am not knocking any system...I just want as much info on all of them as I can get
shoot I still may end up with a Mitusa set-up???
Old 09-24-2007, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Armstrong Performance
On the trucks with the intank stock pump, there is no need for a tow. When you install either of these systems the stock pump and lines stay on the truck, they are not used but you still leave them installed, and god forbid the aftermarket pump goes out on the road, all you have to do is hook the stock sytem back up the the filter bowl or injection pump, reinstall the relay and go.

It just might come in handy one day.
o really???!?!?!?!?!? I thought you yanked the factory pump and plumbing???
yes, no
Old 09-24-2007, 03:11 PM
Banned

o really???!?!?!?!?!? I thought you yanked the factory pump and plumbing???
yes, no
nope! keep it in, there is no reson to remove it. It might get you out of a bind one day.

Quick Reply: What fuel system upgrade would you buy.