3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

what chip to buy ? any suggestions ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what chip to buy ? any suggestions ?

I have a 2004.5 dodge quad cab with an automatic trans and ive been looking at tuners and i cant make up my mind what i want to get nor where to buy from. i want something that wont be to hard on my trans and i can get mileage and some power any suggestions please help me out thanks.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:01 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here we go again...

Seriously this subject has been

But since you are new, and we wish to welcome you,

There are a number of good choices for you. Smarty Jr. may be just the ticket or a Quadzilla X2. Others include Edge, Bully Dog and Diablosport....

Do some thread searches for more info before you decide. This is a Smarty dominated site, but for good reason. The Smarty jr is about the most you can get without starting to really harm your tranny. I prefer to stay away from "pressure boxes" (those that gain power primarily from the increase in injector pressure) as a primary tuner (Like banks six gun, Dr P, Power Puck and others) as these tend to shorten injector life over time. I use these only as a "stack" with other tuners to add power momentarily like in a passing situation or at the track.

Some of the products listed can be bought right here on this site (helps to support the free site) or there are Advertisers here that you can reliably purchase from.

The site owners/operators are pretty strict about folks operating above the board here, so if you buy from an advertiser here, you are pretty sure to get good service or they will hear about it.

Regardless of what you decide to get, please do yourself a favor and invest in some good gauges to monitor your engine and tranny to ensure a long life. Chief among the gauges is a tranny temp gauge and an exhaust gas temp (egt) gauge.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:09 PM

If you are going to "chip" your truck, you're going to want to get guages to go along with it. For something easy and safe, you should look at the Edge Juice with Attitude set up. You get a great, safe performance module with gauges all in one nice package.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:17 PM

Location: Well I thought I lived in America, but its looking more like france every day.
smarty jr all the way do a search you will find all u need to know