3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

WHAT "BOX" WOULD YOU BUY ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHAT "BOX" WOULD YOU BUY ??

......EDGE or this one http://www.rpmoutlet.com/ds994603ins.htm
Old 11-06-2003, 06:54 AM

Re:WHAT "BOX" WOULD YOU BUY ??

On a different web site I had read that the volumizer worked with 90% timing and 10% fueling. Also the numbers on a dyno were very impressive. The following is a link to the discussion: http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...threadid=83407
As soon as I beef up the tranny, I will be going this route. 8)
Old 11-06-2003, 01:10 PM

I saw the same post. But now i am reading where some are saying that timing is not such a good thing for these motors. If that is the case, then raising fuel pressure only (EDGE) would be a better way to go. I also saw a post that said somthing about the VALUMIZER throwing a code in CA. trucks. Anyone have any info on this ?
Old 11-06-2003, 02:10 PM

The volumizer is essentially a bullydog box. They (bullydog) raise rail pressure more than Edge EZ, but the timing helps with egt's. It is not my choice of boxes, mainly because of the codes and white smoking etc. These are my findings, companies will disagree. If you want a timing box wait.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:45 PM

WTTD knows what he is talking about
Old 11-07-2003, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTTD I have the Bully Box and was told there is minimal pressure increase in Level 1 and more in Level 2. Do you know how Level 1 compares to the Edge box? In Level 1 there is quite a jump in power on my truck so I never use Level 2. In fact I wish there was a step between Off and L1. When I originally got my box Bullydog was going to set it up where the 1st position was timing only and then 2 levels of added fueling/timing.

I don't think the Bully Box does Pulse Width modulation which IMO is the best approach (timing and pulse width without increasing pressure). When these start coming out and proving themselves on the market I plan to switch over.

Vaughn
Old 11-07-2003, 09:27 AM

Your correct about the Bully box, no pulse width. I have it from two separate sources now that the rail pressure drops due to the greater pulse width when you stack one of the new timing boxes (Edge, TST) with the EZ. There was some concern before that absolute rail pressure might climb when stacked. I am curious how much advance these guys are going to be using. Too much advance is definitely hard on an engine. Quite a few questions will be answered pretty soon. I'm looking forward to trying these things, its the last piece in the puzzle for me outside of the possibility of a cam. I know I have given Santa plenty of hints so I'm hoping one of these things will find its way under my tree.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:00 AM

[quote author=Goodys1ton link=board=49;threadid=22055;start=0#msg206410 date=1068123290]
On a different web site I had read that the volumizer worked with 90% timing and 10% fueling. Also the numbers on a dyno were very impressive. The following is a link to the discussion: http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...threadid=83407
As soon as I beef up the tranny, I will be going this route. 8)
[/quote]
Might be a dumb question, but what are you going to beef up on the tranny? Please be specific with items and what you think it will cost. I see some items out on the web Torq Converters, but I don't see specific information. I need someone to say, hey if your going to put more HP in you you CTD you'll need to do this _____ to you tranny. I would hate to destroy my tranny because of my lack of knowledge on the subject. All help is appreciated. ;D
Old 11-07-2003, 12:54 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone had any trouble with their "boxes"?? I have heard some people having codes tripped and some rough idling by the Bully box in particular, though I can't confirm it..

The Edge stuff seems to be the ticket for the Dmax from what I have read, same here??

Just wondering if I am being told the right stuff, cuz I don't have a gen 3.

J-eh
Old 11-07-2003, 01:21 PM

Vaughn,
My scanners will not read rail pressure on the 03 Dodge, that is the only way to be sure what the box is doing. Talking with guys at the LSTDR rally that had been to visit Bullydog and Edge is my only source of info on the pressure increases. Pulse width is going to be the stink, I hate to say it but the Duramax with a combo of Edge and a programmer is BAD. Pulse width made that one work.

Major,
The tranny question is a good one, however the answer is not a simple one. If money is no object it is a much easier choice. Plenty of threads on that one.

Lil-Dog
I got several of the Bullydog 03 boxes when they first came out. The first 3 or 4 non adjustable boxes I got did absolutely nothing. I finally got them traded for some adjustable boxes, of which I still have one. The others set codes and caused rough running, white/grey smoke, a miss etc. The one that I still have has set codes once, but has not screwed up since.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:44 PM

Vaughn..I may be in the market for the Bullydog in the spring, I haven't been satisfied with the power of my truck since Muddy let me use his Bullydog. Of course I'd expect a substantial discount ;D

Myra says HI!!