3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Making my "pre-buy" & "after buy" list

Old 03-31-2005, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Making my "pre-buy" & "after buy" list

Hey everyone, I'm making a list of stuff to ask the dealer, and stuff to do to the truck once I finally get it. So far ive got, Take for test drive, see if its got the 70 mph vibe, ask dealer about the (see if I got this right) the overhead re-code, for the better mileage, and white smoke at start up. If anyone can think of anything else to ask or check, before I sign the papers, please let me know.

As far as aftermarket stuff, I cant go crazy. I had alot of responds to my questions about smoothing the ride, and looks like Im gonna go with some 290/70/17 tires on the stock rims, (saw them on KANAD RAM's truck), a set of Billstein 5100 shocks, Cap, might go with the auto dropdown steps when you open the door, found a site with them for $566 for a full size Ram.

My other question is, as far as an aftermarket perfomance mod for the Cummin's, whats a good bang for the buck?? Ive seen the Banks 6 gun kit, and things like that, but thats a little to much for my wallet. Is there a decent deisel mod that will give me a good boost in performance without spending like $1,000 bucks? I dont do heavy duty towing, I have a 68 Nova, with a dual axle car trailer, and maybe once a week (and prob not even that often) I will be towing the combo to a track about 20 miles from my home. Im sure the bone stock setup in the Ram is plenty for what I need, but it wouldnt hurt to have....just a little more.

Last but not least, What aftermarket gauges should I put in? I know some deisel kits have an all in one monitoring system, but If I dont get one, I would still like to have gauges to watch whats going on. I was thinking boost and exhaust temp. And does the Ram have an hours meter anywhere??

This will be my first new truck, and first Diesel, I wanna do things right,.... cause Im going to be paying for it for the next 5 years!!

This is such a great site, and I cant thank everybody enough!! Thanks guys!!
Old 03-31-2005, 03:31 AM

Me again, also forgot to ask, What this leveling kit Ive seen alot of people talk about??
Thanks again
Old 03-31-2005, 12:00 PM
Banned

Hows this Standard Xzillaraider, full set of guages Di procol white faced and afe stage 1 intake with proguard 7 and cool blue hose all in your budget. Pm me or call for actually price not allowed to post on forums
Old 03-31-2005, 12:44 PM
Banned

Where are these retractable steps for 556?
Old 03-31-2005, 12:58 PM

Go for the pricol gauges. They match the lighting already in your truck and look great. As for the hour meter, just turn the key to the on position and hold the trip meter button down and after about 10 seconds the trip will change to hours and show how many hours you've run.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:30 PM

Anything else I should ask??

Can anybody think of any other things to ask or check at the dealer before I sign the papers?? And thanks for the advice on the aftermarket stuff!!
Old 04-01-2005, 09:20 PM

Something to think about .... You mentioned you'd be paying for this truck the next five years. I assume you'd like your full warranty to be in effect all that time? If so, don't put any sort of power box on it. Those force the engine to operate outside the parameters that DC (the warranty provider) has established.

Some will tell you to just remove the box before taking the truck in for warranty service. I have two comments to make about that. First, I've been told by a friend who is a DC factory engineer involved with warranties that the computer knows when it's had a box hooked up and records the parameters the truck has operated under. So, even if you remove the box, the tech will still know it was there. Those boxes will void your engine warranty, perhaps your entire driveline warranty. Second, is it really ethical to expect DC to warranty the engine when YOU forced it to do things that DC decided it shouldn't do for long life and reliability reasons? Personally, I don't think so. I think the 325 hp, 610 ft pounds of torque should be sufficient. Heck, my little old 305/555 is enough. JOIBO.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:06 PM

Hey everyone, Ive been talking to 3 different dealers, 1 in N.C. 1 in Ohio, and 1 near me in woodbridge N.J. Looks like Im gonna deal with the Ohio guy. Hes pretty much the most flexible on my options and prices. Hes the one that said I can get a Laramie 2500 CTD with the SRT-10 hood, and also Solar Yellow for $225 more. Im pretty much getting everything other than the factory NAV radio, bedliner, and moonroof. He quoted me a price at around $38,000. Hows that sound for a price, and thats having the truck built, they did a search in a 300 mi. radius, and couldnt find one optioned the way I want. Yea, Its a 500 mi trip from my home, but hes like 5 grand cheaper than the other dealers. If any of you's have any more suggestions to ask, or TELL the dealer, please let me know. I was told if I order an 05, it would have to be by the end Of April, cause the 06's will start being built. So im gonna have to move soon. One more question, Whats this leveling kit I see people mention?? Thanks again, and keep the comments coming!!
Old 04-11-2005, 07:19 PM

Question Closing deal end of week

Looks like Im gonna put my order in within a few days. The Ohio dealer said $1035 for the SRT-10 hood painted and installed. Dont know if I'm gonna go for that just yet. Can ANYONE think of anything else I should ask or tell the dealer, I was hoping to get more of a response to my last post. My biggest dilemma now is to get a Red or Black sport appearance truck. Please help me out guys, I gotta take a 5-6 hr drive to get this truck when its done, so, I would like to have a list to go over before I sign the papers and drive back home, than slap myself in the head and say, ****, I shoulda' asked that!!. Look over my other reply's to this post, and lemme know. Thanks again everyone.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:30 PM

Color preference is purely a personal thing, but.... since you asked, red or black? No choice IMHO. Gotta go with red. I don't like anything black. REALLY hard to keep clean, especially up there in snow/salt country. The Dodge Flame Red is a nice bright red that doesn't have the problems that some colors seem plauged with. I've had four Rams since '96, three have been Flame Red. The fourth, a '98 QC 2500 4X4 CTD was burgundy. It was an exec lease truck that I got a great deal on. My '96 Sport, '03 hemi Sport and '04 CTD Sport have all been Flame Red. Take a look at my photo gallery. The '04 is very different with red powder coated wheels. You keep asking about leveling kit. That's a kit that is installed on the front to bring it up level with the rear. I leveled mine by switching the spacer blocks on the rear to lower it level with the front. IMO, the Rams are tall enough without raising 'em more. Besides, you can lower the rear with a bit of work and NO cost. No parts are required.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mud flaps/ Splash guards,save your paint!!
Old 04-14-2005, 07:25 AM

As far as before delivery, the only thing I can add to ask about is extending the bumper to bumper warranty from 3/36000 to 7/70000my dealer offered this to me for about half what DC wants for it directly. You can buy it any time within the first 12/12000. As to after you get it home. Air mods- don't get suckered into $300.00 for aftermarket, just remove the intake muffler (plastic tube between the 2 rubber elbows) & replace it with 5 or 5.5 dia. pipe. modify factory airbox ( use a holesaw to open it up in the bottom) total time less than 1 hour, cost less than $10.00 results same as aftermarket. Exhaust-replace muffer with straight pipe, or if you want less noise, I have heard guys saying a Donaldson muffler breathes real well. I have Bully Dog Outlook for gauges, digital & has everything you need for moitoring. The price they gave you sounds decent, considering it's a Laramie, (they really soak you for that) I paid $32500.00 for my 04 it has just about everthing, except what comes with the Laramie. hope this helps, good luck
Old 04-14-2005, 07:59 AM

Ask them what their policy is for loaners when yours needs service if you expect to have it serviced there. Talk to the service department to verify.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:46 PM

What site did you find the power steps at? That is quite a bit cheaper than anywhere I have found.

Congrats on the new truck. I found one close enough to what I was looking for and will be trading my 03 1500 hemi in on it Saturday. I want the power steps as well, but don't want to drop better than a grand on them.

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:04 PM

Talking Ordered my truck today!!!!

I finally did it!! Found a good deal at a more local dealer, check out my new post if you's want.