3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

What is the best set of injectors to Upgrade to?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the best set of injectors to Upgrade to?

Hi all,
I just bought my first ctd: all I've done to it so far is added a new stage 2 intake and a bullydog downloader. Now I'm looking to upgrade the injectors.
There's a lot of info here about upgraded injectors, but there's no concise information on what to get to have the most safe and reliable hp gain, or where to get a set. Anyone with experience in the subject please respond.

Also, what is the FSS system alot of you here mention and what will it do for performance, how much does it typically cost?

Thank you all in advance for your reply.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:36 PM

With a common rail, generally you would use a much smaller set of injectors than you would use in a second gen. I have a small set and still can manage some decent power, and still get great fuel mileage.... I know that there are guys on here that disagree with me, but I feel that if you do any towing, or are just looking for a street monster, a smaller set of injectors is the key, between 50 and 90.

A FASS is a fuel pump that you use instead of the factory lift pump. It ensures that your cp3 will never run into a lack of fuel

Kevin
Old 02-17-2007, 11:44 PM

morkable: I like your headlights, where did you get them?
What do you mean by a small set of injectors? I only tow on occasion, I'm just mainly looking for a fun to drive truck that will blow some soot on the mustangs and rice burners in my town.
Would my cp3 likely run out of fuel, if I'm not doing heavy mods? Also, do you recommend the fuel tank vent upgrade, have you done it?
Old 02-17-2007, 11:45 PM

You dont want too big of injectors without an upgrade to the fuel pump. But what size of injectors is going to depend on what you want out of your truck and what are its primary uses?
Old 02-17-2007, 11:57 PM

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...&postcount=329

Check this out for smoke,, thats me, I ran a 632 on that run!

Kevin
Old 02-17-2007, 11:58 PM

The headlights I got off of ebay. I havent done that mod, I actually just really learned about it today, I am going to look into it.

Kevin
Old 02-18-2007, 12:02 AM

Nojo,
Don't you think a set of guages would be a wise purchase before upping your injector size? Also what tranny do you run? An upgrade will be needed there if you start bombing you truck to this extent.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:46 AM

you need to get a good set of guages first especially with that BDDL then start saving for the tranny . there are alot of other things you can do before injectors. that smoke blowing crap is what is getting us all strapped with emissions laws. the more efficient you make it run the faster you are to spank the little ricers.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:03 AM

What they are saying is true, if you are going to want more power, you have to do the supporting mods first, (tranny, guages, fuel system etc) And I also agree with the statement about the smoke, but he has to remember, that if you are pulling big power you will get big smoke. I try very hard not to let the smoke happen while I am driving on the street, I usually run my edge at level 1 which still leaves a lot of power

Kevin
Old 02-18-2007, 08:53 AM

I know with big power comes big smoke. I'm all for smokin' out certian little 4-bangers, but all I'm sayis there is time and place. Riding around blowing big smoke at every stoplight gives every diesel a bad image. God knows we don't need to give the treehuggers anymore amo. They are already trying to pass a city law against driving with a dead animal carcass (coming home from hunting) and hanging it to butcher it yourself. Sorry for the rant!
Old 02-18-2007, 10:47 AM

"you need to get a good set of guages first especially with that BDDL then start saving for the tranny"

Oilburnerardon the ignorance, like I said I'm new to this. What is BDDL?
I understand about gauges, I've looked into a set of gauges with pillar mount on Ebay. But what do I need to do to the tranny? I've seen tranny's sold for $4-5K, I just don't think I want to spend that much on this mod. What can I do?
Also, will the FSS have to be done next? if so, what kind or what setting would I need.
Morkable: we seem to have the same year truck, but I have no idea what half the stuff in your list of mods mean, can you explain what you've done in layman's terms, please?
thank you all.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nojodas67
"you need to get a good set of guages first especially with that BDDL then start saving for the tranny"

Oilburnerardon the ignorance, like I said I'm new to this. What is BDDL?
I understand about gauges, I've looked into a set of gauges with pillar mount on Ebay. But what do I need to do to the tranny? I've seen tranny's sold for $4-5K, I just don't think I want to spend that much on this mod. What can I do?
Also, will the FSS have to be done next? if so, what kind or what setting would I need.
Morkable: we seem to have the same year truck, but I have no idea what half the stuff in your list of mods mean, can you explain what you've done in layman's terms, please?
thank you all.
BDDL is the Bullyd Dog Downloader. If you want good guages and all the supporting hardware done right get them at deiselmanor.com.

For the tranny you will need to start with the VC, billet shafts, and a one peice torque converter. You will need the Fass system if you get a larger chip you will drain your rail pressure thus you will not have enough fuel to get to your larger sticks!

Morkable's sig - Diablo Predator is a downloader, Hot Juice w/attitude is another chip but not a programmer, silver 62 is a turbo, I know what the fluid damper is but can't explain it. Afr intakie is the air tube and filter, 4" mbrp is the muffler. Billed nadp is the tranny along with a suncoast flex plate mand maghytec deep pans. Fass is the fuel system upgrade. AM phantom is guages, Dipricol rail guage monitors fuel pressure so that you don't drain the cp3.

I am shure kevin can explain more for ya. He is a pretty knowledgeable guy!!

Shane

03 2500,20's, Diablo Pred, Hot Juice w\ Attitude , Silver 62, fluiddampner, ARP's, AFE Intake, 4" MBRP, Billet NADP Tranny, SunCoast Flex, Mag Hytec Pans,DPP 50ish sticks, ATS Copilot, Fass 150/95, AM phantom (FP,Tranny, 60psi boost)DiPricol Rail Guage. LED tailights, 3rd brake, and Fire and Ice tailgate light, black headlights, Britebox, Lightforce Driving lights, ISSPRO turbo saver,Banks IC and High ram, soon to happen, pacbrake, cp3, pressure box.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:02 PM

I got my guages from desielmanor, very good setup .comes with everything you need . I'm not familiar with the bullydog so as far as the fass I couldn't tell you. If I were you I'd be puttin' alittle away for a tranny with the mods you're talkin' about it's gonna be hard to stay out of the go pedal, It would for me anyway
Old 02-18-2007, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like they are steering you in the right direction, I mean you gotta lay a good foundation. The gauges and tranny work will do that.

As far as injectors go, I have my eye on a set of F1's. I am not looking for anything too crazy, just a reliable built rig.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:32 PM

Thanks Shane, saved me alot of typing. The fluiddampner is an awesome upgrade, I paid about 500 bucks for it, dosent really give you much hp, (they claim about 35) but it sure smooths out your engine. If you are doing mods to your engine, or especially if you have a standard and put in a dual disk clutch you should have one. The factory harmonic balancer is just a big peice of metal on the front of your crank, it provides an outward force to help "balance your engine" from harmonic distortions. What the fluid dampner does is that it has some form of fluid inside which will go to the spot most needed. It is very noticable, the first time I started my truck after the install I went,, woah, hope this helps

Kevin

Quick Reply: What is the best set of injectors to Upgrade to?