3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Which way gets me more power?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which way gets me more power?

Ok, so I was going to put in a set of 90hp DDP tips. If I get 70hp out of them, that would put me at 570 on diesel only. So here are a couple of questions.

1. Even with the mp-8, the truck still doesn't have a ton of power down low. Do the injectors help this?

2. If I sold the HOT Juice, got a SMARTY and TST and kept the mp-8 and did NOT do injectors, would I see more or less than 570? I'm thinking about the same, but with a little more on the bottom since the SMARTY does torque management. What do you guys think?

By the way, I don't need room to grow here. I absolutely have no desire to go over 600hp. Which ever decision I make here will be my last step in power making modifications.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by omaharam
Which ever decision I make here will be my last step in power making modifications.
Why do I find this statement so funny?

I just wish I had some real experience so I could help. Someday....
Old 02-09-2007, 07:57 AM

If you get the TST you wouldn't need the mp-8 since it already has a rail pressure adjustment. Also running lots of rail pressure is hard on stock injectors. If you stay with the stock ones and add pressure you might be replacing them anyway.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by t-boe
If you get the TST you wouldn't need the mp-8 since it already has a rail pressure adjustment. Also running lots of rail pressure is hard on stock injectors. If you stay with the stock ones and add pressure you might be replacing them anyway.
I'm running pressure now. The biggest thing with the pressure is to make sure the fuel is good and clean. I have a 2 micron set up to take care of that. But yes you're right, I guess I wouldn't have to run the mp-8. However, it seems like there are several guys running a seperate pressure box with the TST.

Really what I'm wondering, is the SMARTY and TST with some pressure (however you add it), good for at least 570hp.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:30 AM

Ill let you know after the 17th, as you can see from my sig, I am running the hot juice and predator stack, I am also going to fool with the dr performance unit. I will post the numbers after we are done. I kinda get scared of the mp8 when running bigger injectors. Its a problem of how it adds the pressure, it dosent ramp up, it just kinda hits it, which has a tendancy to blow out injector nozzles (ask D.Wiggs)

Kevin
Old 02-09-2007, 10:58 AM
tcr

Ok, so I was going to put in a set of 90hp DDP tips. If I get 70hp out of them, that would put me at 570 on diesel only. So here are a couple of questions.

1. Even with the mp-8, the truck still doesn't have a ton of power down low. Do the injectors help this?

2. If I sold the HOT Juice, got a SMARTY and TST and kept the mp-8 and did NOT do injectors, would I see more or less than 570? I'm thinking about the same, but with a little more on the bottom since the SMARTY does torque management. What do you guys think?

By the way, I don't need room to grow here. I absolutely have no desire to go over 600hp. Which ever decision I make here will be my last step in power making modifications.

How do you feel you are holding up w/ just a VB & TC, if I'm reading your mods right. I feel we are in the same boat w/ about 500ish HP, how much longer are these trannies going to last?
Old 02-09-2007, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by morkable
Ill let you know after the 17th, as you can see from my sig, I am running the hot juice and predator stack, I am also going to fool with the dr performance unit. I will post the numbers after we are done. I kinda get scared of the mp8 when running bigger injectors. Its a problem of how it adds the pressure, it dosent ramp up, it just kinda hits it, which has a tendancy to blow out injector nozzles (ask D.Wiggs)

Kevin
Wiggs had a problem with his and it was set on 100%. John at Floor It said I would be fine with the mp-8 and stage 1 cp3 with 90hp injectors as long as I keep my 2 micron filter changed. He hits over 30k rail pressure on his truck. Either way, I will be monitoring the rail pressure with either a DiProcal unit or the TST if I go that route.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by tcr
How do you feel you are holding up w/ just a VB & TC, if I'm reading your mods right. I feel we are in the same boat w/ about 500ish HP, how much longer are these trannies going to last?
My tranny has been holding fine at 530ish hp (assumption of power with Snow working). I was even towing about 9k lbs with 475hp. Will it hold 600hp? I personally believe it will as long as I behave myself.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:32 AM

Wiggs had a problem with his and it was set on 100%. John at Floor It said I would be fine with the mp-8 and stage 1 cp3 with 90hp injectors as long as I keep my 2 micron filter changed. He hits over 30k rail pressure on his truck. Either way, I will be monitoring the rail pressure with either a DiProcal unit or the TST if I go that route.
How is he measuring his rail pressure, neither the tst or the diPricol unit will read that high (limits in the map sensor) I thougt that DWiggs had his on 50%. But I have heard of other people complain about that problem, I think that the ts people are on to a good thing with the mp8, they just need to remap it a bit JMHO. Thats why I like the DR Performance unit, it ramps up the pressure from a lower point, making for less stress on all orifices

Kevin
Old 02-09-2007, 12:01 PM

Ditch the Juice...and Get a TST. You can make 550 plus with the TST and the modded CP3 easily. I would use the MP-8 to dial in the pressure instead of the TST...it comes on sooner too with the boost fooling.

PM me if you want a hint on the settings.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:14 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by morkable

Kevin
If you think the mp8 just hits it, try the tst pressure. That is why I have the mp8 even though the tst does pressure, if I want.

And as cquested says it seems to fuel better down low.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad
Ditch the Juice...and Get a TST. You can make 550 plus with the TST and the modded CP3 easily. I would use the MP-8 to dial in the pressure instead of the TST...it comes on sooner too with the boost fooling.

PM me if you want a hint on the settings.
Have you dynoed?

And yes I assumed I can make 550 with the SMARTY added in there, but are you talking 550+ with just the TST, mp-8, cp3, or were you including the SMARTY as well? Remember, if I add injectors to my current set up i should be 570 or maybe more on just diesel. Unless someone can convince me that switching to the TST and SMARTY will net me at least 25hp more than that, it's not worth switching everything. Then again, with the way people talk about the SMARTY, I could end up at the same power level but still have a faster truck because of the bottom end power with torque management.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:03 PM

Did you have to back your Rokktech off with your Edge?
Old 02-09-2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by t-boe
Did you have to back your Rokktech off with your Edge?
No. And there is a performance shop guy on here that says he has tested the Juice with an oscilloscope and says that it doesn't even do timing, only duration.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:48 PM

Good to know. Does it help with the lowend alot?

Quick Reply: Which way gets me more power?