3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Be very carefull with aftermarket tips/nozzels(long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Be very carefull with aftermarket tips/nozzels(long)

Well I got some bad advice from some people(not from this site) and had nozzles installed on my truck. I was told it was not a big deal it is done all the time, come to find out in the older trucks maybe but with the new ones at the pressure they are running you have to be perfect. I had my tips installed 3 months ago and everything was fine, truck wasnt real strong, smoked a bit but ran fine.
I recently found a real mechanic from this site, and took my truck to him to get some work done and upgrade to Flux-3 injectors for more power and piece of mind. Sent off my injecors to F1, only to find they idiot who did the install over-torqued everything, none of the seats on the tips were flat and one was dumping over 2X the fuel it should.
Got my flux 3s and floor it pump installed, and the truck sounded horrible. Decided to stop and run a leak down test on the cylinders and found #4 is loosing about 50%. WONDERFULL!!! Truck has 20,000miles and the wife is going to kill me, for real she is.
We think the old injectors damaged or dropped a valve valve seat? (im not a mechanic) in # 4 and the drive down of about three hours, took its toll.
The truck is in good hands, and has top of the line products in F1 injectors and the Floor it Pump now so we just got to pull the head and see the extent of the damage those stupid other guys tips did. I hope if a valve gets stuck it doesnt always mean that you destroy the piston and cylinder wall cause that will be costly and time consuming.(pullin the head saturday).
So for all the guys out their dont be an idiot like me, if your going to do injectors go F1, or someone well known that takes your entire injector, repairs it, puts a tip on it and flow tests it before they send it back. I would have saved myself alot of time and money had I had any idea before-hand.
Anyone ever heard of a valve sticking and not damaging anything else, or should I be ready for the worst and prepare for a #4 sleeve or bore????? To top it all Im paying for a rental as we only have two vehicles !! Sorry for the long post Im just upset at myself.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you took it to who I think you did then you are definitely in good hands...

Sorry to hear about your troubles. That definitely sucks! When I did the injectors in my 03 I had heard bad things about some companies tips so I opted for the F1s even though they were lots more money. Some things are worth the $$$......

Good Luck....
Old 12-06-2006, 11:38 AM

Even stock these trucks have a tendency to drop the exhaust valve seats eventually and then bend a valve. If it wasn't so common the repair wouldn't be so detailed in the service manual.....I dropped a valve seat but the valve was barely bent even though it hammered a boo boo into the piston. If you can find a shop with a boroscope that will fit in the injector hole then you can inspect the cylinders and valves without taking the head off. I hate to say it but if you mod you better have a second job cause if you play you will pay. There is a reason Dodge and Cummins caps the performance on these trucks.....durability. I'm sure I could plot the gained horsepower versus dollars on repairs and miles to a major failure and all the trucks on this site would land pretty close to it. My truck has 320,000 kilometers/200k miles on it and it is now getting a fresh engine and the old one is going to be dedicated to play once it is running again Don't get me wrong...I'm a dedicated modder but you gotta respect the rules of power. If this was my work truck and I needed it and it alone every day.....it would be Exhaust, Intake, Gauges, and a TST on the low settings with NO PRESSURE. Even with a built tranny the engine is the big ticket loser. ks
Old 12-06-2006, 12:00 PM

Hey Ryan,

Are these the tips you installed the other month when you broke the pin on the injector body?
Old 12-06-2006, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by lmills
Hey Ryan,

Are these the tips you installed the other month when you broke the pin on the injector body?
Why yes they are, not only did the guy break one, he over torqued everything. The worst part is I paid more for these than I did for the Flux .
Old 12-06-2006, 12:07 PM

I'd say who ever did it didn't have a clue what he was doing LOL
Old 12-06-2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by lmills
I'd say who ever did it didn't have a clue what he was doing LOL

I was in a pinch, trying not to have to pay a core charge on my stock tips, called a well known shop west of me, and they were no longer doing in house injectors.
Found This guy local, and he had done some 2nd gens, so I went with it. In hindsight I would have done alot different...
Old 12-06-2006, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by RyeThomas
So for all the guys out their dont be an idiot like me, if your going to do injectors go F1, or someone well known that takes your entire injector, repairs it, puts a tip on it and flow tests it before they send it back.
I didn't think repair parts were available?