3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

turbo vs intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo vs intercooler

If my egt's are too high when I tow, what should I do? It seems that the intercoolers cost about the same as the turbo's. Do they both cool the same amount? Does the intercooler give any power or just the turbo? i will be doing a little towing in a week or so, and I will find out if egt's are really a problem or not, but since I moved the probe to the manifold from after the turbo, I was very surprised at how high it gets just driving around empty.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by J-man
If my egt's are too high when I tow, what should I do? It seems that the intercoolers cost about the same as the turbo's. Do they both cool the same amount? Does the intercooler give any power or just the turbo? i will be doing a little towing in a week or so, and I will find out if egt's are really a problem or not, but since I moved the probe to the manifold from after the turbo, I was very surprised at how high it gets just driving around empty.
ide go with a turbo. the intercooler i dont think is really going to do much for you. but if you are on a budget you could always through in a water spray for when you are towing to help keep cool.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:58 PM

Am I right about the cost and the effect that they both have?
Old 03-18-2008, 12:24 AM

you are not really going to gain much from an aftermarket intercooler. temps might go down a little but not enough to warrant buying one. a turbo, you would gain HP and temp would be cooler, but then you would have to worry about your tranny, its enough to warrant spending the dough for if you plan on upgrading the trans, but for half the price, you could get a water spray kit and your temps would go down a lot too, HP wouldnt change much tho unless you throw in some meth. JMHO
Old 03-18-2008, 01:43 AM

Jman,

The Edge makes a lots of heat and not as much power as a Smarty.

Loose the Edge gets my vote.

The stock turbo is pretty small.....You'll see your best egt reductions there.
Leave the intercooler for down the road.

The only way a diesel can make more power is with more fuel.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:41 AM

I would save the 600 dollars and buy a turbo. I know Smarty is a good programmer but he would benefit more from a new turbo. Even if he does get a Smarty eventually he would have to get a turbo. The edge Hot juice and Smarty both are enough to be out of the stock turbo's effiency range. Even the regular juice you would benefit more from a turbo then just buying another programmer. How much do you tow and is it on a rugular basis. I would say you would be good going with a small 62 14.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:05 AM

turbo for sure,my cooler didn't do anything, what a waste of money.and a poor fit, everything is tight,wish i never did it, too lazy to take it out though,took too long fighting with it to get it in. i kinda said the same thing about the first turbo too, but once you have done one, you learn the ropes pretty fast.bigger difference in the turbo.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:56 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Intercooler is something to worry about last to round out a package. Turbo before that for sure. Your stock intercooler is fine for now.