3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

turbo bark now

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo bark now

After installing box I now have turbo bark. I understand it comes from letting off suddenly under hard acceleration, thus its produced by me. Its weird how it started after installing box (higher boost now?) is there anything I can do to reduce it and should I be concerned?
Old 11-27-2005, 07:56 PM

same here...dont know why...i know what the normal blow off sounds like...but this bark you are talking about is much more harsh than blow off caused by the waste gate ...
Old 11-27-2005, 08:01 PM
Banned

are you sure you are not just more aware of hearing it now due to the afe air box also? My Quad box is off right now for some tuning but the bark is still there, afe torque tube and a BHAF, the stock airbox baffles baffle sound on the way into and out of the turbo, making bark less noticeable. imho
Old 11-27-2005, 10:07 PM

I believe the bark is the air goin back and forth in the turbo. it is not the best thing for your turbo, just try not to let off your skinny pedal fast. keep it to the floor
Old 11-28-2005, 01:35 AM

You might want to condsider a Blow-off valve. BD calls the a "Turbo Guard". Here is a link:

BD Turbo Guard
Old 01-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Chapter President

Anybody know of any options a little more affordable than the BD guard? I am gonna have to do something to mine before the turbo dies. I'm still waiting on the autometer phantom II gauges I ordered so I don't know what I'm boosting, but I know the wastegate is not working anymore. Must be the boost blocking with my quad box. It wouldn't be so bad if I had an auto, but everytime I change gears mine barks if I'm turning more than about 2,000 rpms, even with the quad on stock, i'm guessing since it has boost blocking on the stock setting also. Anybody have a fix for this? I need help quick!
Old 01-06-2006, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Big Bob
You might want to condsider a Blow-off valve. BD calls the a "Turbo Guard". Here is a link:

BD Turbo Guard
This is my next option for my truck Bob!! I started getting the turbo bark more often after my afe stage two air intake install.When I pull my trailer it is more pronounced.I find if I use the tow haul button from take off until around 55 mph and go back to normal shifting OD it won,t bark at all.coobie
Old 01-06-2006, 10:56 PM

i get it even with evrything zerod out. but its probably due to the injectors. turbo bark is where the turbo is actually backspooling. its not good at all on it. in the end you can actually end up snapping the turbo shaft in 2 pieces. it's caused due to an exhaust housing restriction somewherein the line. im not worried right know due to the fact that im trying to blow my turbo up. but my turbo has been doing this for about 40k miles know and i cant blow the dang thing up. wish me luck on blowing it up before spring. lol.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:08 AM

I dont know about it backspooling, because its spinning at like 120,000RPM so i think it would be hard to get it to just suddenly spin backwards, but i suppose its possible being how a turbo works.

I can only bark mine when i sit at about 45mph then get on it pretty hard and it shifts into OD about 55 and just "sh sh sh sh sh" is all you hear
Old 01-07-2006, 11:25 AM

I found that you have to learn to drive by boost levels. If you let off the throttle at 2k rpm and 20lbs of boost or more, you're going to bark the turbo. Either don't accelerate as hard when shifting at 2k, or rev it out more before you shift. If you wait until 2500, you'll skip the bark. I'm having a difficult time teaching this to my g/f.

She likes to feel the acceleration, but she's always short-shifting the thing. Short-shifting is good for mileage, but it's best when using small throttle applications and relaxed driving.

Also, when accelerating in gear and your boost is up, roll off the throttle slowly. That will keep enough exhaust flowing to keep the compressor from stalling.

I noticed my truck became a LOT more prone to barking after installing the TST elbow on my stock turbo. I think the stock elbow is a better option.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turbo bark is when air is going backwards through the turbo, and the turbo is still going forward. The air stalls going through the turbo. if you think about it, you have mabye 1 cubic foot of air between your exhaust valves, and your turbine. You have significantly more, maybe 7 between your compressor and intake valves. Let off the gas really fast, and your engine stops driving the turbo. You still have all that air compressed inside your intercooler that has to go somewhere.