3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Tuning the twins with DRB and Drag Racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now with Video!Tuning the twins with DRB and Drag Racing

Just got back from the track....Lots of Hot Air and not enough supply fuel.

Best 1/4 mile 14.447 best top speed 93.59 best rt .571 best 60 1.894

best 1/8 9.23.

This truck needs to go Jenny Craig....It's fat. In DRB testing the rail was pulling down to 6k from 26k at WOT on TST twins 5/2

Tonight my best runs were on 3/0 because the low pressure fuel kept keeping the hp pump lean.

The tranny was great for about 6 runs and then it got hot when I stopped locking it up. Once it got to 205 the 1/2/3 shifts got slow.

Another tranny cooler, insulating the cold lines....and a reliable 40 to 50 psi fuel system, and a water spray and we'll be into the 12's.

Drew a big crowd as the smoke cloud was awesome.....Gotta get stacks. Kerry

Last edited by abc4yew; 07-27-2006 at 08:42 PM. Reason: additions
Old 07-26-2006, 08:28 PM

did you have any problems with the smoke keeping the lights on at the line?
Old 07-26-2006, 08:36 PM

somthing is not right there. you should be in the low 13,s with your setup no problem. i just did a truck for a guy same as yours ( 03 SO 3500) and he was running the same times as you just about. his only mods were tst regular ,ez , bd rad ,fass 150 and htb2 turbo. stock sticks. your 60 ft's are great for your size truck by the way. when i was tuning my truck for racing i pulled my hair out for months trying to figure it out. i only race with the tst twins and and ez. ez is always on 4 at the track and the tst gives the best power and times at 4/2. 5/2 was almost a half a secong slower and egts were through the roof, because of draing the rail pressure. your doin it the right way though with the drb. makes life alot easier. good luck with it.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by abc4yew
In DRB testing the rail was pulling down to 6k.......
Wow Kerry....Your injectors and TST on level 5 pulled pressure down to 6K? Am I reading that right? That is a serious problem. So you have an idea on how to fix that?

Yep, nice 60 ft........your r/t sucks though. Were you taking a nap?
Old 07-26-2006, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think something is not right also. With that 60' time I would expect low 13's. I run low 13s with that 60' time. I know you weigh more than me, but you also got a lot more HP potential with your mods than me too.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:07 AM

Guys, The R/T times sucked because the guy staged me for 5 to 9 seconds....it was pathetic.....I'd ramp up to 10psi boost and try to hold it then I'd have to let off before the tranny imploded. Twice I couldn't hold it and fouled. For the first 60 feet I was flying then low fuel pressure would drop to 0 and the truck would fall flat and then .5 second later it would rocket and then flat and then between the 1/8 and 1/4 I was flying...I just need tons of low pressure fuel....this hp pump drains a ton of fuel...It is like feeding a double stage 2. Everybody thought I had a standard with a paralysed clutch foot . The twins were awesome when the fueling was constant. The best run was on TST 3/0 because fueling held the whole way and the twins kept full spool. On run 3 which was my highest top speed the cool pipe joining the twins popped of at just over the 1/8th so I was coasting across the line at 20 psi on the little turbo. The fastest 0-60 was a 10psi launch in 4wd with the shortest stage of the nite at 5 seconds. I was letting off the brake on the second yellow and the one front and rear tire were spinning for about 50 feet on the fastest run and for about 150 on the worst. Once the tranny got hot the times 1/8 th times dropped.

These turbos were on the bench last week just a figment of my imagination.....to put them on and run as strong as they did was a freaking miracle. There is way too much heat in the compressor sides and intake. Water injection is not an option it is a necessity with this much fuel.

The only problem I had was the shortage of fuel.....The tranny held, shifts were crisp while cool. To me I Left at least 2 seconds on the table. IF I had solid fuel on 7/7 to 7/5 which this truck should be easily able to support...I'd be solid low twelves.... Give me a couple of weeks to get the air supply cooled and the fuel cranked and we'lll se what she can do...The truck needs to loose about 500 lbs too. The front bumper, the junk in the truck, the subwoofers and a full tank of fuel didn't help. The worst the EGT's got was less than 1650 and this was when the fueling dropped and then came back on hard and spool dropped. I'm very happy with the tuning so far.

Oh yeah the water separator was absolutely full this morning and the filter was probably fouled which made the fuel pressure even lower. No one had the filter in stock so I had to run what I had...The old FASS is probably a little weaker after those runs......I'm going to put on a FASS 200-50psi or a custom Glacier....This hp pump is very special so I need a special fuel supply.
PM's are graciously accepted if someone has a good deal for me in this regard. ks
Old 07-27-2006, 02:10 AM

Oh yeah, I have it on video......Well all you can see is alot of smoke....can anyone walk me through putting the video file on putfile or something. ks
Old 07-27-2006, 11:33 AM

low 12's would be awsome man. im not aware of any 3rd gen duallys in the 12's at all on # 2 only.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:24 PM

I know of another Dually in the twelves and he's shooting for the 11's and he has the resources and budget to do it ....Barry at NADP in Edmonton,AB,Can. I don't know if he runs with drugs are not....I'm trying to do this without drugs.....pure water is not a drug....its a natural resource. I'm starting another thread as I have an appointment booked....ks
Old 07-27-2006, 12:36 PM

am i misreading your signature or do you have a fass with the 50 psi spring?if so i would gues pump gooing bad,fuel filter is supper clooged,air or you are blowing your pressure relief valve open...
Old 07-27-2006, 12:58 PM

KingD, Yep Jess, the pump has the old motor so yep....its having a hard life right now.....this morning is sounded close to death. 50psi on it lowers the flow down to the old man bad prostate flow rate... Plus my fuel filter was a little doubtful...plus tons of water in the fuel....condensation I guess with this God awfull hot weather. Dumped the water yesterday and it was full...dumped it today....and it was full. 100L of Fuel 1/2L water. That can't help my fueling situation. I think with the new FASS...Dual 3/8th tank pickup lines and 1/2inch to the HP Pump and we'll be alot happier.

I forgot about the pressure relief valve yesterday....Even though I don't have a pressure box the Rail Pressure was pegged at 26k+ on the DRB when the truck was commanding 23k at WOT. This 3.4 has a long pressure run on it. So yeah the rail valve is probably screaming for pain. My Rail cap and second hp feed line will be here on Friday so when I dyno on Monday (see my other post) all will be good or the pressure sensor will be blown due to overvoltage. ks
Old 07-27-2006, 06:44 PM

Video is on Putfile

Guys, Try this

http://media.putfile.com/best-60ft-1...99-in-3rd-gear

It would have been an awesome run if I wasn't messing around and forgot to shift out of 3rd until the last 2 seconds. ks
Old 07-28-2006, 07:34 AM

I bet you'd lose 400lbs if you got rid of that moose bumper

Maybe your fuel problems are caused by de-fueling? A RAD might be in order?
Old 07-28-2006, 09:47 AM

Panterra, Yep the bumper is being replace with a to the ground Bumper / Air Dam for Track play....Current bumper is big but only weighs less than 240# with the Dodge bumper mounts, lights, and tow hooks. I have a RAD and some of my best times were with it on....but it made my fuel problem even worse....My best run is the one in the video but I forget to hit the od button till about the last 2 seconds so the et was 14.99. The 60 foot looked and felt sweet....launch was at 12psi and the started didn't hold me too long. Most of my other starts were only 4 to 8psi which is about 1 second from 12psi. When I started at 2 psi my 60 foots were 2.7 seconds....easy on the tranny at least. I was tuning so I was trying to solve the pre 1/8 problems so I only high boost started 5 times.....2 fouls when the starter held me too long and I couldn't hold the second stage and 3 runs in the 14's. Even on a low boost start my trap speed was 92mph....leaving a lot of mid track seconds on the table. ks