3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

tuner /gauges what do i need?

Old 09-29-2013, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tuner /gauges what do i need?

sorry for the dumb question, have been a first gen guy forever but finally upgraded (?) to a 07 3500 for work. I am not into setting it on kill just want a few extra mpg and a bit more power.

I am liking the on screen monitor feature on the bully dog, edge or diablo but I read that the smarty jr everybody seems to love

so whats the best of both worlds? do I buy a JR and a monitor?
Old 09-29-2013, 03:21 PM

Which motor do you have?
Old 09-29-2013, 06:04 PM

5.9 auto
Old 09-29-2013, 08:26 PM

I recommend the EFI Live running. I replaced the smarty with this time after 3 yrs. amazing difference better mpg 's better power all around. Do a search on the site. I pick up a full 2 mpg and truck is much more efficient. I have the 2007, 5.9 mega cab.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Norfolk
I recommend the EFI Live running. I replaced the smarty with this time after 3 yrs. amazing difference better mpg 's better power all around. Do a search on the site. I pick up a full 2 mpg and truck is much more efficient. I have the 2007, 5.9 mega cab.
Smarty Jr is a great tool...I too ran this for a couple years (It's the only tuner I would reccommend with respect to what you mentioned earlier)
Similar to Norfolk here; I switched to EFILive and love it! It is similar in nature to the Smarty (plug and play with no monitor/ no real need and or function for the "on the fly" programming capability).
That said, if you are not interested in getting involved with EFI right now; I would suggest a Smarty Jr, gauges, and "pigeon hole" account for your trans upgarde (not that you will necessarily need it with just the Jr on the 70 hp tune). Again, it makes for a great daily driving tune that will lower EGTs, and improve throttle response/ driveability / mpgs...
Good luck...I loved mine!
If you are interested in EFI (which is fantastic)...there are plenty of good tuners out there that can build you a tune on an autocal that will suit you just fine...
PM me if you want more info on this...
Later
Old 10-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cstewart
Smarty Jr is a great tool...I too ran this for a couple years (It's the only tuner I would reccommend with respect to what you mentioned earlier)
Similar to Norfolk here; I switched to EFILive and love it! It is similar in nature to the Smarty (plug and play with no monitor/ no real need and or function for the "on the fly" programming capability).
That said, if you are not interested in getting involved with EFI right now; I would suggest a Smarty Jr, gauges, and "pigeon hole" account for your trans upgarde (not that you will necessarily need it with just the Jr on the 70 hp tune). Again, it makes for a great daily driving tune that will lower EGTs, and improve throttle response/ driveability / mpgs...
Good luck...I loved mine!
If you are interested in EFI (which is fantastic)...there are plenty of good tuners out there that can build you a tune on an autocal that will suit you just fine...
PM me if you want more info on this...
Later
I agree 100% ^^^

I have the Jr now and love it. Although I do want more power and everything the EFI live offers so after I replace my tired clutch I will be going EFI.