3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tst?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tst?!?!

Get this....

TST on 7/5 with XZT (no bullydog)...off idle power totally stock. Made a couple of acceleration runs....had power but wasn't very strong. hmm. Then, made another good run...and on deceleration, the RPM's would hang up and clatter at a few points on the way back down to idle. Nasty noise!! Took the XZT off...same thing. hmm.

Turned the TST to 0/0, put scary larry back on. Excessive...i mean really excessive lag. Barely touch it and it would be a freight train...but not go anywhere...i mean the truck moved, but it got hot and wasn't strong at all. On deceleration again, RPM's hung up and clattered...but not as bad.

I stopped in a parking lot and plugged my XZT back in. Immediately threw P0336, Crankshaft Position Sensor Performance....yes the infamous TST code. tried starting the truck and it clattered bad. unplugged the XZT, cleared the code, and started it. ran really, really rough. drove straight home, pulled the TST. no more codes though?

reinstalled XZT stacked with Scary Larry...all is good again. Smooth idle again...pretty good power.

WHY did it get worse when i re-installed the XZT? i wasn't unplugging the MAP and rail pressure sensor either...i was using the in-cab bypass when installing the XZT.

What is this deceleration hang up/rattle? why does my truck run rough with the TST all the sudden?

I tried calling TST but ofcourse they closed 5 minutes before i called.

I'll call TST tommorrow...but anyone else experienced this deceleration rattle? I've read the infamous TST occasional problems...but not this!
Old 02-12-2007, 09:39 PM

Geez.....We need to get you on a stinking dyno for a day or a racetrack whatever is most important so you can plug a couple of things in and leave them!!!

Ok, here is my take although just from your description it is a little hard to diagnose.

I am guessing something is wrong with the MAP circuit on the TST.

Just a guess. I would not worry too much about the 0336 code as that seems to be pretty normal with the TST. I am guessing whatever is wrong with the TST is making the truck do some weird fueling things. When you hook the XZT up it aggrevates the situation.

Now I am guessing that the MAP sensor problem is messing with the ECM side which indirectly messes with the XZT. Most likely it is trying to do some sort of safe mode and causing the rail to go to a known value. This is not bad normally but, if it has a certain amount of pressure stock the XZT with the TST flash is going to change it and that is probably making the rattle worse at low boost levels and low rpm's.

Now the other theory is that it could have something messed up on the timing circuit but, I did not jump on that because I do not see how that would affect the XZT at all but, I guess anything is possible.

Sounds like you need to keep your Scary Lary and XZT stack and be done with it! I am not sure how much more you are going to get without some serious mods anyways?
Old 02-12-2007, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by qzilla
Geez.....We need to get you on a stinking dyno for a day or a racetrack whatever is most important so you can plug a couple of things in and leave them!!!
I keep trying to tell him but he doesn't listen very well.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Banned

Ok, here is my take although just from your description it is a little hard to diagnose.

I am guessing something is wrong with the MAP circuit on the TST.

Just a guess. I would not worry too much about the 0336 code as that seems to be pretty normal with the TST. I am guessing whatever is wrong with the TST is making the truck do some weird fueling things. When you hook the XZT up it aggrevates the situation.

Now I am guessing that the MAP sensor problem is messing with the ECM side which indirectly messes with the XZT. Most likely it is trying to do some sort of safe mode and causing the rail to go to a known value. This is not bad normally but, if it has a certain amount of pressure stock the XZT with the TST flash is going to change it and that is probably making the rattle worse at low boost levels and low rpm's.

Now the other theory is that it could have something messed up on the timing circuit but, I did not jump on that because I do not see how that would affect the XZT at all but, I guess anything is possible.

Sounds like you need to keep your Scary Lary and XZT stack and be done with it! I am not sure how much more you are going to get without some serious mods anyways?
I was content with Scary Larry and the XZT...until i had what i thought was boost fooling issues. Turns out, it was the walbro. I had no idea that the CP3 would suck enough fuel to boost up to 30psi before it ran out of fuel. If i feathered into the throttle, i could get up to around 40 psi before it ran out of fuel. This seemed like a turbo or boost fooling issue at first...but its clearly a walbro issue after we found the blown fuse.

I know the XZT had nothing to do with my TST problems but it was weird it got worse when i plugged the XZT back in. I am in favor of the timing circuit in the TST. I'll call TST tommorrow and try to get this figured out. Its clearly a TST issue though..

now i need brake pads and 2 tie rods replaced too

and boarbuster....

half of the stuff on my truck you installed so i don't want to hear it!
Old 02-12-2007, 11:10 PM

I know you thought it was a boost fooling issue and I am always open to saying "it could be" but, man I cannot imagine that thing ever not working. It is a pretty complex design for a couple of reasons but, there is nothing on there that should break or not work. It really should be bullet proof.

Before you blame it on the timing circuit I think you should hook the TST up and run it all alone, even remove the XZT wiring harness. I am curious to see if it will throw a boost code.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Banned

I know you thought it was a boost fooling issue and I am always open to saying "it could be" but, man I cannot imagine that thing ever not working. It is a pretty complex design for a couple of reasons but, there is nothing on there that should break or not work. It really should be bullet proof.

Before you blame it on the timing circuit I think you should hook the TST up and run it all alone, even remove the XZT wiring harness. I am curious to see if it will throw a boost code.
I'm calling TST tommorrow about this....before i officially blame anything

and just for conversation, i have seen the XZT boost fooling not work (but thats because of the bullydog goofy programming....also notice this occurs on an 06, not my 05. The XZT has been flawless on my 05)

And Quad i'm all for trying different ideas and testing stuff out (obviously ) but that TST is not going back on my truck until TST flashes it or I sell it! this is like my 3rd go round with the TST...no more.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:31 AM

hey I live only less than an hour away and they never answer the phone for me anymore. Their service is going downhill. I think they have made too much money is what happened. I never get an answer at all when I call down there for the past year it has been that way. I dont know if I plan on running their box at all on my 06. they released when they still had issues with it for the 07 for a little while and problems were not worked out of it. that was not fair to the truck owners.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:35 AM

WHAT HE SAID
!

jwb600 hey I live only less than an hour away and they never answer the phone for me anymore. Their service is going downhill. I think they have made too much money is what happened. I never get an answer at all when I call down there for the past year it has been that way. I dont know if I plan on running their box at all on my 06. they released when they still had issues with it for the 07 for a little while and problems were not worked out of it. that was not fair to the truck owners
Old 02-13-2007, 12:13 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
97, this is just a thought, BUT get rid of all your extra stuff and run the SL and XZT. If you feel the need for more power run your water/meth.

If you decide to go big, run an upgraded cp3 or better yet twin cp3s and a set of sticks. Or maybe try a little spray.

I am not being sarcastic and I too understand how pricey the above idea is BUT you truck seems to do well with what you got and pretty much nothing else.

I may be off on this too but I a pretty sure Timinva only had sticks, twin cp3s, a downloader (smarty or CL) and a little pressure and is making some big, big numbers. Hes got a cam springs and head work to but I think he might be a step or two higher than you want to go.

Point is, I think the SL and XZT is all you need. Next step go mechanical or drugs.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:21 PM

maybe by adding the XZT back on cause dthe noise because of additional timing issues?? I do not know anything about the XZT, jsut that most boxes like that add timing.. Maybe the combo between the scary larry, xzt, and tst caused the injectors to be popping to soon or to late??

I dunno, I am just throwing possibilities out there..

Personally, two electronic gizmos is the max for me when it comes to stacking, anything more and I think there are to many wires crossed..
Old 02-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wap
97, this is just a thought, BUT get rid of all your extra stuff and run the SL and XZT. If you feel the need for more power run your water/meth.

If you decide to go big, run an upgraded cp3 or better yet twin cp3s and a set of sticks. Or maybe try a little spray.

I am not being sarcastic and I too understand how pricey the above idea is BUT you truck seems to do well with what you got and pretty much nothing else.

I may be off on this too but I a pretty sure Timinva only had sticks, twin cp3s, a downloader (smarty or CL) and a little pressure and is making some big, big numbers. Hes got a cam springs and head work to but I think he might be a step or two higher than you want to go.

Point is, I think the SL and XZT is all you need. Next step go mechanical or drugs.
I guess yall have talked me into calming it down a bit.

Scary Larry and XZT is what i'm gonna keep running....BUT sometimes boost fooling quits working. It's because of the Bullydog...not the Quad. the MP8 did it to me first with the Bully.

Yes next step would be CP3 upgrade and injectors (from DonM only!) might need to upgrade to silverbullet then too.

Originally Posted by HappyGA
maybe by adding the XZT back on cause dthe noise because of additional timing issues?? I do not know anything about the XZT, jsut that most boxes like that add timing.. Maybe the combo between the scary larry, xzt, and tst caused the injectors to be popping to soon or to late??

I dunno, I am just throwing possibilities out there..

Personally, two electronic gizmos is the max for me when it comes to stacking, anything more and I think there are to many wires crossed..
I have the pressure only XZT....its called the TST stack version. Yea 3 power adders is a bit much. but hey, gotta try! Luken gave me the idea....his 3 made him 659hp.

And for yall not liking TST customer service...i agree. I called 3 times and got no answer. I did leave a message....they better call me back!
Old 02-13-2007, 01:08 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good deal, I just wanted to make sure you understood I wasnt bustin your chops or anything, just tryin to help.

It looks like I am gonna be tryin out a SPS 66 pretty soon, so I can give you some idea about a SB. I know, I know, I was gona do a 62 but what the heck, you only live once right?
Old 02-13-2007, 02:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wap
It looks like I am gonna be tryin out a SPS 66 pretty soon, so I can give you some idea about a SB. I know, I know, I was gona do a 62 but what the heck, you only live once right?

yea, only live once. So i gotta try every module and programmer out there! Thats my exact philosophy behind my actions...see!!!! you're just as bad as me!
Old 02-13-2007, 03:47 PM

Sounds like a TST harness....been there done that. TST seems to rely alot on its dealer network.....I showed up there out of the blue one day and they upgraded my unit while I waited and it was done. There are only two people who answer the phone but they have a phone system. Patience is a virtue I guess. If the harness was edited by admin than trust me nothing else is gonna work... ya probably went to limp mode and fooling with fueling in limp mode is gonna give you a bigger pile of crap. ks

Last edited by Totallyrad; 02-13-2007 at 09:27 PM. Reason: language
Old 02-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by abc4yew
Sounds like a TST harness....been there done that. TST seems to rely alot on its dealer network.....I showed up there out of the blue one day and they upgraded my unit while I waited and it was done. There are only two people who answer the phone but they have a phone system. Patience is a virtue I guess. If the harness was edited by admin than trust me nothing else is gonna work... ya probably went to limp mode and fooling with fueling in limp mode is gonna give you a bigger pile of crap. ks
I agree about the harness...but can't get anyone on the phone at TST. all i get is a voicemail. I'll wait another day before i call again.

Quick Reply: Tst?!?!