3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Truck mounted air compressor.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 11:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Truck mounted air compressor.

I want to install a small compressor on my truck. Mostly for use during the summer at the river. That way I can inflate rafts and stuff at the boat ramp. What would be the best setup. I would like to mount it under the bed or cab and also have air hose connections near the bumber.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm? I was reading in one of the threads here on how someone wanted the Pacbrake for the onboard compressor cause he said air would come in handy I wonder how that would work exactly? Figured I would throw that up there as an option if its possible?
Old 02-10-2007, 08:23 AM

Air Compressor

Originally Posted by Vinceg99
Hmmm? I was reading in one of the threads here on how someone wanted the Pacbrake for the onboard compressor cause he said air would come in handy I wonder how that would work exactly? Figured I would throw that up there as an option if its possible?
Pacbrake and BD Power exhaust brakes use a small compressor to close the butterfly valve. The problem is that it's not very large volume but up to 100 PSI. You would be quite awhile filling up a raft. You might look into an RV store for a portable high volume low pressure pump.

L8r,..........dogger
Old 02-10-2007, 09:52 AM

What about using a compressor used for air bag setup?
Old 02-10-2007, 11:36 AM

http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/KE-3100-K.htm
Old 02-10-2007, 01:17 PM

A little pricey, but if you need a winch too, this looks pretty cool. A winch with air compressor built in.

http://www.warn.com/truck/index.shtml
Old 02-10-2007, 02:44 PM

Ebay has a "buy-it-now" price of $1189. That doesn't seem too bad. How come every accessory I want is over a grand?
Old 02-10-2007, 07:21 PM

try a portable compressor

http://www.viaircorp.com/

i have one of these
Old 02-10-2007, 09:47 PM

if you are looking for something to air up rafts then don't waste your money on a expensive compressor... Go to wal-mart and get a $7.00 hand held inflator that is used for rafts, air mattresses, etc... You need a low pressure high volume inflator. If you use one of the compressors others mentioned then you will spend the entire day sitting there with a air chuck plugged in and eventually a burnt up compressor.

Now if you want something to air up tires and other high pressure things than go with the above ideas.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for all the great replys so far. Looks like I have a lot of research ahead of me.

Does anyone know if I can run one off the PTO port on the nv5600?
Old 02-14-2007, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Vinceg99
You are probably talking about me.

The Pacbrake uses a low flow Viair air compressor good for 150 p.s.i. and 2.03 c.f.m. @ 0 p.s.i. It has a max duty cycle of 25% at 72*F and 100 p.s.i. Not the best stats but could get you out of a jam. Installed on the compressor is a quick connect valve dedicated to providing air. The Pacbrake kit even includes about a 10-ft section of coiled air hose with a variety of fittings and it's own carrying bag.

My goal is to install it Monday. When I do I'll take some pics of the setup.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:20 AM

What exactly do you wish to do?

Originally Posted by masterphreak
Thanks for all the great replys so far. Looks like I have a lot of research ahead of me.

Does anyone know if I can run one off the PTO port on the nv5600?
Your original post lead us to beleive you wanted a air compressor to air up rafts and such at the river. Now if you wish to air up tires and such then you my wish to look at the following website http://www.kilbyenterprises.com they have air compressors that run off your serpentine belt with an electric clutch just like your A/C compressor. I'm sure you can get a PTO driven compressor but how much money do you wish to spend and what are all the applications you wish to use the compressor for? You could probably get a small portable gasoline powered model with a medium size tank that you could put into your pickup bed that will do everything and be moderately priced. Good Luck!

L8r,..........dogger
Old 02-21-2007, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
You are probably talking about me.

The Pacbrake uses a low flow Viair air compressor good for 150 p.s.i. and 2.03 c.f.m. @ 0 p.s.i. It has a max duty cycle of 25% at 72*F and 100 p.s.i. Not the best stats but could get you out of a jam. Installed on the compressor is a quick connect valve dedicated to providing air. The Pacbrake kit even includes about a 10-ft section of coiled air hose with a variety of fittings and it's own carrying bag.

My goal is to install it Monday. When I do I'll take some pics of the setup.
Yeah it probably was you if you know what im talking about

And now I do remember the Pac stating that it comes with all the stuff.

I'd be interested in seeing these pics as well.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:48 AM

Well, my plans to install it Monday were foiled by a Father-In-Law in need, but I have been able to spend an hour or two hear and there to get the majority of the install done. All I have left is wiring into the ECM and the switch.

Here are some pictures of my progress thus far:

Overview:

Compressor and GDP MK-2 + Big Line setup:

Close-up of compressor showing quick-connect for air hose:

View of the tank taken from above looking through gap between bumper and radiator area:

View of the tank from underneath:
Old 02-21-2007, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
now THAT is cool and yet very funcitonal.

Quick Reply: Truck mounted air compressor.