3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Triple dog, not impressed

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolngthun
Decided to try the Crazy Larry. Download went in fine. Got to the point where it says turn on key and set power level. Turned on key and no power level choice. Truck now won't run, and can't hook back up to it because the Dog says vin number mismatch.

If it has to go to the dealer, it is not going to be paying for the wrecker and then paying for the reflash, and losing the warrenty that will bother me. It is the having to admit to them I did it myself messing around with a brand new truck that is going to be the killer.

they came out with a new program, dont know if you have it. but mine did the same thing and froze every time. i just took it to a shop that had the ne software.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:30 PM

Yes I put it back to stock before doing anything. I learned to make sure I did that from the guys here. Guys at Bully Dog were great and already got me going again.
I have the ABS light on now and I think I lost my TSBs. I will get them lads down at Dodge to reflash it with the newest programing and go from there.
Too bad International programing won't work.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:00 PM

Also they told me I should have went with the Power Pup for better throttle response.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:21 PM

I had the power pup on my 04. It had a great bottom end fill to it. I tryed the tripple dog on my 06 and needless to say. I did not like it at all. ( not neer the bottom end that the power pup had on my 04). It has nothing to do with the trans or engine. One of my good friends works for bullydog. Here is what he says is the reason for the tripple dog not having as much power as the power pup on the bottom. They had customers complain that with the power pup installed there was a noticable surge when going freeway speeds w/cruise on. Bully dog reprogramed the tripple dog so it would not have the surge when on cruise control. With that said, They must have left the bottom end neer stock so the surge would not be noticed. I hope this helps and by the way. No I do not have the tripple dog on my 06.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:47 PM

All sounds about right to me Goose.

Even if after over 500 for the downloader, probally a 100 to reflash, will have to explain why I need a reflash, so warrenty will be dead,if I could reload the Triple Dog and be happy with the way it runs. I would be happy and go on to something else. But I don't like the way it runs. So I will be with you, no Triple Dog on my 06 either.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:42 AM

I just installed the Triple Dog last night and I have to agree, you really have to push the go pedal to feel it, I actually pulled over to make sure I was selecting the "on the fly" mode correctly b/c it felt completely stock under normal throttle conditions. I too had a 2nd Gen w/ a fueling/timing box and it was wonderful from a dead stop to get you moving quick. I don't race my truck and I use it everyday for work and I could really care less about WOT and high RPM's so I too will join you in some disappointment, guess I should have went the EZ route for the low end throttle response like I was use to, I miss my 2nd Gen truck sometimes b/c it definitely was more responsive. I was going to download "Crazy Larry" but now it seems people are running into problems doing that too, if it freezes up as described earlier I will be quite upset, what's the deal w/ this re-flash from the dealer? what a bummer.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:54 AM

I need to get it reflashed, because I really messed up truck. It wouldn't run, BullyDog had to set me up with a recovery program. Now the truck runs. But it had an air bag light, that went away after several key cycles, and an ABS lamp that won't go away. I want to make sure it is right before moving on to something else.
I will say BullyDog, was great and had me going in no time. I told them exactly what I did step by step and asked them what I did wrong. They told me it happens at times when you download off the net and upgrade your truck.

I'm thinking TST now. It appears to be very adjustable, low end torque as well as high end power.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:45 AM

pup and triple

I had the pup on my 04.5 and loved it great bottom end didnt have to use more than 1/4 throtle most all the time. now with the triple on my 06 (both with auto's and 3:73) it seams like it has to be to the floorboard all the time. Will Bully dog ever address this? is there a Pup for the 06?
Old 04-22-2006, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by barracuda
I just installed the Triple Dog last night and I have to agree, you really have to push the go pedal to feel it, I actually pulled over to make sure I was selecting the "on the fly" mode correctly b/c it felt completely stock under normal throttle conditions. I too had a 2nd Gen w/ a fueling/timing box and it was wonderful from a dead stop to get you moving quick. I don't race my truck and I use it everyday for work and I could really care less about WOT and high RPM's so I too will join you in some disappointment, guess I should have went the EZ route for the low end throttle response like I was use to, I miss my 2nd Gen truck sometimes b/c it definitely was more responsive. I was going to download "Crazy Larry" but now it seems people are running into problems doing that too, if it freezes up as described earlier I will be quite upset, what's the deal w/ this re-flash from the dealer? what a bummer.
you have to get the new software down loaded in the programer, the power is completeley different
Old 04-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So if i go to their sight and get the new software downloaded to my triple dog itll give me the low end power? I had an edge ez before this, at WOT this is much better, but i wish i had that low end kick, will this give it to me in all the programs??
Old 04-22-2006, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by acook
So if i go to their sight and get the new software downloaded to my triple dog itll give me the low end power? I had an edge ez before this, at WOT this is much better, but i wish i had that low end kick, will this give it to me in all the programs??
The Crazy Larry version of the software is better. I run mine on Crazy all the time since the low end is SO responsive.... I mean, the truck can lay a patch of rubber accross an intersection at 1/3 throttle. Running Crazy will give you the low end you need and all the power you need @ 1/2 Throttle.... Just don't use WOT or your tranny will not be happy with you.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Banned

Yeah i dont want to take the chance of it ripping the tranny out, if i have full throttle im gona use it. It looks like you only have 2700 miles, wait till 5K or 10K and even at part throttle it will probably kill it.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by acook
Yeah i dont want to take the chance of it ripping the tranny out, if i have full throttle im gona use it. It looks like you only have 2700 miles, wait till 5K or 10K and even at part throttle it will probably kill it.

If you have a little self control, you can have the best of both worlds. The way I drive my truck on crazy larry will not hurt the truck. Give it a try you'll see. You will also see there is no reason to give the truck full throttle with that program. Just because all the power is there doesn't mean you have to use it.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:24 PM
Banned

Thats the problem, i dont have self control, if i did i wouldnt be smoking, chewing or drinking!!
Old 04-22-2006, 05:32 PM

I had the 2.2.7 when I bought the triple dog, it still didnt have the lowend that the pup had on me 04.5, I just downloaded the crazy larry, I hope it has the better bottom end on the lower settings as well.

Kinda off topic, does the MP8 stack with the triple ok, does the MP8 help the bottom end response?