3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bully Dog Triple Dog

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bully Dog Triple Dog

I just got my bully dog triple dog last week and i absolutly love it! The extreme setting really wakes the truck up. Before i had a edge 3pos easy that gave it some nice power on the very low end but fell on its face at higher rpms. I tested it out the other day and raced my buddies 04 350Z. I did a boosted launch(about 9-10psi) in 4wd, and he hooked up pretty good, we were neck and neck untill i shifted into 2nd, he pulled ahead of me about half a car length untill i got into 4th and i pulled ahead of him about a 1/4 of a car lenght and stayed their untill we reached the agreed finish line, when we hit the finish line i was doing about 95, i couldnt belive my truck actaully beat the Z, and neither could he, now hes trading his car in on a cummins!! My question is how many of you are running the crazy larry tune with a stock auto? How often do you drive with that tune, and how many miles do you have on your truck with that tune, and total miles? I kinda want to load that in for a dyno day, and the opening day at the track so i have a chance of getting close to my brothers 6 leaker.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have a triple dog but I drove a truck with it once. I can tell you that truck ran like a scalded ape!

And, that truck was all stock otherwise except for a straight pipe exhaust.

I think that is crazy. This particular truck was running stock air, stock fuel supply, stock turbo, and stock 48re transmission. To me, you need to prepare the truck to handle that kind of power. I think the triple dog is a little to radical for a stock truck and you risk tearing something up.

It's your money, but I vote to do some other upgrades....particularly fuel supply and tranny before romping on it to hard with the BD TD.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Banned

I know it will tear up the tranny, ive ordered a set of IdahoCTD twins, im looking at different trannies, pump mods, a FASS system, and flux 2 injectors. But before they go on i was wondering how long the tranny would last with the crazy larry, i know itll tear it up but i just dont know how fast it will. I have 6K miles and i want to use it at the track on the 15th for a few runs, and for a dyno day on the 22, i was just wondering if it would hold for those 2 events(the tranny).
Old 04-08-2006, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad someone is happy with it. You are using it for what it seems to be made for WOT. My truck very seldom sees WOT, so it just is not what I'm looking for.

When I got a kid at the stop light next to me in his little bumble bee sounding rice burner. I like to give just enough throttle to stay a 1/2 truck ahead. His bumble bee sounding mad at 8000 rpm trying to find away to get around a pick up truck. While the Cummins pulls hard, without cranking out 3000 rpm, and the only sound the kid hears is that turbo singing to him.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:48 PM

I have had my Triple Dog for a week now and I absolutely love it. I run performance, middle setting all the time. Some say it is not responsive enough for them but with the 6 speed I think it is very responsive even when I am not WOT. I had the Edge/Attitude and sold it after trying the BD TD. Power is great but I am sure it will have it's toll on the stock clutch if I am not carefull. I use mine for towing but sometimes I like to be the first to leave the redlight.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Booger
I have had my Triple Dog for a week now and I absolutely love it. I run performance, middle setting all the time. Some say it is not responsive enough for them but with the 6 speed I think it is very responsive even when I am not WOT. I had the Edge/Attitude and sold it after trying the BD TD. Power is great but I am sure it will have it's toll on the stock clutch if I am not carefull. I use mine for towing but sometimes I like to be the first to leave the redlight.
It does seem the guys with the 6 speeds are happier with it. I suspect it is because the 6 speeds don't down shift automatically. With the auto, you have to push the throttle hard enough that it forces a downshift.
I considered the 6 speed, but plowing with a stick is not much fun. It can be done, I have done it. Wife don't like stick shift, so that would have been a bonus.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Banned

i have a stick and i love my bddl ive gone thru one stock clutch so far. i will be putting in a con fe on the next go round. just needed it to get around for now. im not saying that i am not beating on it because ill will be dynoing on the 29th and i run it hard just about everyday. the stock clutch will hold up pretty good as long as you dont do repetitive hard launches.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:43 PM

If your going to keep running the BDDL go buy some gauges. The EGT's increase faster than the boost with the BDDL's and you could damage the truck if you don't pay attention to them. The torque conv. on the auto's doesn't hold up to the BDDL very well with the Crazy Larry program, the extreme is pushing it a bit from what I felt for the short time I had the downloader. I'm not kidding about you needing gauges.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:14 AM
Banned

Look at my signiture, i have guages
Old 04-09-2006, 07:08 AM

Me too, me too, I have guages.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:38 PM

Hey guys,

I've been running my Tripple dog for about one week now. One crazy larry you can drive right through the converter.

I think the guys that are complaining about no bottom end haven't updated the Dog yet. When I first installed mine it had 2.2.2 on it. It was slugish off idle unless I throttled it. Once I upgraded to 2.2.7 (Crazy Larry) I have a TON of off idle barly on the throttle power. Even in the lowest setting (Tow) there's a ton. I absolutly love this thing. I thin the key is updating it to so the throttle response and top end is were it needs to be and should be.

PS Crazy is not for stock trans's that's for sure.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Nitro71455

PS Crazy is not for stock trans's that's for sure.
or stock clutch 4 long
Old 05-09-2006, 02:59 AM

im not feelin a stinking thing, and the outlook isnt reading any HP or TQ at all...***?! ive looked over it again and again...seems kinda hard to install it wrong.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by acook
I just got my bully dog triple dog last week and i absolutly love it! The extreme setting really wakes the truck up. Before i had a edge 3pos easy that gave it some nice power on the very low end but fell on its face at higher rpms. I tested it out the other day and raced my buddies 04 350Z. I did a boosted launch(about 9-10psi) in 4wd, and he hooked up pretty good, we were neck and neck untill i shifted into 2nd, he pulled ahead of me about half a car length untill i got into 4th and i pulled ahead of him about a 1/4 of a car lenght and stayed their untill we reached the agreed finish line, when we hit the finish line i was doing about 95, i couldnt belive my truck actaully beat the Z, and neither could he, now hes trading his car in on a cummins!! My question is how many of you are running the crazy larry tune with a stock auto? How often do you drive with that tune, and how many miles do you have on your truck with that tune, and total miles? I kinda want to load that in for a dyno day, and the opening day at the track so i have a chance of getting close to my brothers 6 leaker.
Thats on stock tranny and turbo and all you have is the chip, exhaust and intake?? Is that with the crazy larry upgrade?
Old 05-12-2006, 02:21 PM

still not feelin it, dealer put the 2.2.6 on it and no smoke and just a lil more power, and only at 2500+ rpms. not very happy. gonna swap it out for a new one today or monday. pyros arent workin either. still go to zero at WOT..

Quick Reply: Bully Dog Triple Dog