3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Traction bars(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cquestad
jrussell...

Why so down on bars? In theory they work (but we know that is not enough). In SOT and "feeling" they work (but we also know that is not enought either). Most important yet...hard cold numbers prove they wrok.

Quicker launches and longer pulls.

If they are designed right...there is really NO bind in the twisty's or in up down.

I personally don't support the reduced sag theory or less squat/weight transfer theory...because my truck behaves exactley the same in those areas.

The main difference is ZERO wheel hop...or erratic tire spin.

For aft axle movement is zero...up down stayed the same. The truck drives SO much better.

Tranny is very happy (or it might be just the tranny I have...lol...but I think bouncing causing massive shock loading and funky bending cyclic motion of u-joints in my drivetrain used to be a big no no).

Try some...

I sure you can fab...I spent $75.
I'm not down on bars at all, but going back and reading my posts I could see how it looks that way. I'm just a little tired of hearing how "magical" these particular traction bars are.

I agree with what you posted. Bars are great for reducing axle wrap, which is going to help with launches and sled pulls by keeping the rear tires planted. I also agree that with a properly designed bar there shouldn't be any increased stiffness to the rear suspension.

As far as the bars being easier on the driveline, I agree that would be the case on a high HP truck that has serious traction issues at the track. Bad wheel hop will definitely break stuff. However on a truck like mine or one with less power (that don't really have traction problems), I think the bars are going to prevent the leaf springs from absorbing some of the shock at launch.

Believe me man...I HATE axle wrap just as much as the next guy, but in the case of a truck like mine I think it might actually be more beneficial than detrimental when it comes to launching at the track.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:24 AM

Move back up to Idaho and I will make you a pair for testing...lol.

Energy is definately getting absorbed when the axle moves forward and twists.

I agree that it dampens...

I prefer to let my tires be the only fuse in the link.

2wd on the beach is fun again! Like a sand rail with no hop!
Old 11-04-2008, 11:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think any one who uses these traction bars attributes their effectiveness to "magic"...

Quite simply, there is a finite amount of energy available at the pinion gear; any portion of it required to deform the leaf packs will by definition not be available at the tread surface.

The increased risk of parts breakage due to spring wrap is even more clear. The uncontrolled bending/release of the leafs causes very high shock loading of the entire driveline.

The guys without suspension mods at the track or the strip are crowd pleasers... everybody loves to watch hillbillies tearing up their trash!

Snaf Off - if you know how to weight-jack with bags or coils, you already know what to do.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
I don't think any one who uses these traction bars attributes their effectiveness to "magic"...

Mike, I disagree! I think mine are "Magical"...

Old 11-04-2008, 03:52 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm going to get my own traction bars here in finland from a welder. He is using uniballs and I want those rear brackets to be bolt ons, either under the overlenghted U-bolts or on place of the stock sway bar. The frame mount can be welded.

Basicly I want a home made copy of Texas CTD bars.

I'm thinking of 5 foot/1,5meters long bars. Is there something that I should know?

I want also threaded bars so I can twist the rear axle straight on, It's about an inch wrong now because the bent u-bolts.

You know, 600hp, four 84.2lbs tires + 80 lb rims + a 9" lift does affect a little...
Old 11-04-2008, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD

Geez, you're a big help!

Erska - you're on the right track... don't forget to adjust the bars' angle for Finland's latitude...
Old 11-04-2008, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD

Me too...definitely magic involved
Old 11-14-2011, 12:23 PM

Those lazar bars look good. Just what I have been look for