3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Took the the Smarty off.........PROBLEMS... Please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Wagner
are you running stock injectors?
Yep.........
Old 11-01-2006, 09:22 AM

I'm sure there was beta testing done, but everyone's truck is different.

Don't forget that the Triple Dog needed a bunch of updates, too. On my '03 the TD set a dealer-detectable code that could not be cleared w/o a DRB-III even when they swore it was undetectable. Additionally there were other traces left by early Triple Dog programs. On my '03, all modes on the TD performed the same. There were later software releases that corrected the key error, the key cycles, and some other issues but I still had a 66hp downloader at the end of the day. I ended up trading it to someone who had better results with it on their truck.

Whether it's a Bully Dog, Smarty, PPE, Diablo or whatever, they've all had teething issues. The people who write the software cannot predict every problem.

Luckily we have Bob and Marco on these forums that are open with us and are willing to work with us. They will listen to your input and try to improve their product.

It seems all the other companies work in a cloud of secrecy and will not divulge anything about their product or help you when you have issues. I speak from personal experience.

If you give Bob and Marco some time to diagnose the issue, they'll hook you up with a program that works. I think you'd be hard pressed to find another company that will work so closely with someone to get their issues sorted out.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:26 AM

Just so EVERYONE KNOWS...

I borrowed the Smarty from a good friend of mine because we saw what good luck he had with it. His truck responds very well to the program.

I tried it because I have an itch to go faster and I thought this might help...

Like I said, it works AWESOME on his truck but TERRIBLE on mine. It is kind of hit and miss in my opinion.

Possibly the new program might have solved the problem but that doesn't help the guys who load the original program that was sold and it won't come off of the truck properly.

It comes off of his 04 fine. It's a completely different animal on my truck.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
reduced timing. checking of codes should be on the the top of the list
Old 11-01-2006, 09:30 AM

wont come of properly? excuse me? please clarify
Old 11-01-2006, 09:31 AM

JCLeary,

Thanks for your input! I know nothing is perfect... Maybe it just strikes me the wrong way because this thing is said to be perfect. And I went into this thinking that it would be.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:34 AM

By coming off properly I mean....

When you take a downloader off.. Whether it is bully dog, Smarty, ppe, whoever....

If the ABS light and the Parking Brake light stay on and your truck is in limp mode... I would guess something screwed up while taking the downloader off.

If that is not the case please explain.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:34 AM

Thank you that is our goal
Old 11-01-2006, 09:35 AM

The answer, "I should be running the new program" is no help after the old program is already loaded onto the truck.

I had no idea this was a "bad" program. It was bought through you.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:39 AM

I would love to help someone out by trying a new program in my truck to see if it works but I really don't have the guts or money to be a guinea pig

If you can't tell, I LOVE MY TRUCK, IT IS MY BABY, and I was VERY NERVOUS.

And I still am...
Old 11-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Luken
JCLeary,

Thanks for your input! I know nothing is perfect... Maybe it just strikes me the wrong way because this thing is said to be perfect. And I went into this thinking that it would be.

dang message minimum requirement.......
Old 11-01-2006, 09:56 AM

One thing everybody needs to understand is down loaders will work with the ecm as well as it can. ECM's are computers, and like all computers you can have the exact same parts in two and one perform normal and the other not so normal. Some get weird memory chips or CPU's, who knows why they act different. Thats why modding these truck with electronics is so hard. ESPECIALLY when stacking. One programmer or box is trying to do one thing while the other is doing something completely different. I've worked with computers for way too long to trust them. Sometimes no matter what you try to do to increase performance you hit a wall and can't get past it no matter what. It sucks. So keep that in mind and try not to bash manufacturers when things get weird. It could be that your ECM is retarded and doesn't like that particular programmer/box. I remember a BDDL toasting somebodies ECM and they had to buy a new one and get the dealer to flash it with their VIN to get the truck back on the road. Crazy stuff happens.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:58 AM

Guys...ease up. You may have a bum hardware or corrupt software. It can happen to any DL. look at it this way...rememember quite a few post about locked, frozen, killed ECM's from the BDDL? It took them a while to sort all the bugs out. Be fair.

Luken...you are having good luck with Scary Larry...stick with it! Tune and build the truck around it...upgrade your TST so you can get a handle on your timing and head gasket problems. Don't just jump ship and try another product and not expect a learning curve so to speak.

BDDL is not for me..being that I have an 04 HO...maybe the Smarty is not for you?

IMHO...once it is all sorted out, the SMARTY could be for you...if you are willing to give it and Marco a chance.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by cquestad
Guys...ease up. You may have a bum hardware or corrupt software. It can happen to any DL. look at it this way...rememember quite a few post about locked, frozen, killed ECM's from the BDDL? It took them a while to sort all the bugs out. Be fair.

Luken...you are having good luck with Scary Larry...stick with it! Tune and build the truck around it...upgrade your TST so you can get a handle on your timing and head gasket problems. Don't just jump ship and try another product and not expect a learning curve so to speak.

BDDL is not for me..being that I have an 04 HO...maybe the Smarty is not for you?

IMHO...once it is all sorted out, the SMARTY could be for you...if you are willing to give it and Marco a chance.

Very good post! I couldn't agree more. The only thing that left me with a bad taste was the fact that it didn't work like advertised. I know Im stubborn but come on... The no timing thing just gets me. How can you have the same rated hp and no timing and not have the EGTS go through the roof. Just like the VA duration only box.

I really hope Marco can get on here and shed some light on the issues that some of us are having so it will help the rest of ya'll out.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:21 AM

I have had the ABS light and brake light probably 3-5 times out of the 50 (? maybe more) times I have loaded softwares onto the truck. It has never thrown the truck into limp mode though. In fact, on one of my dyno runs while tuning for the Fall Brawl event the dyno operator saw the lights on and asked me about it. I just told him to ignore it LOL

Quick Reply: Took the the Smarty off.........PROBLEMS... Please help