3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tire Size Question w/ 4-5" Lift

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tire Size Question w/ 4-5" Lift

I can fit a 255/70/22.5 tire on my truck without any lift. That's a 36.9x9.9" tire. If you do a 4-5" lift, what is the tallest and widest tire you can accomodate in the front, and then in the rear with a dually.

I appreciate the input!
Old 09-26-2006, 05:49 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its gonna have more to do with width than how tall they are. A 37x12.50 is about as big as you can go with a 4.5" with 8-10" rims and propper backspacing. I think you will have to decide how wide you want them and then get the tallest you can fit OR vise versa, decide how tall you want em and then see how wide you can fit. But with the 22.5s you may be limited in width choices, I not sure on that but I doubt you will have a lot of choice.

I am sure plenty of big wheel guys will chime in.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the response. Width is not that crucial to me. If it's only 10 or 11" wide, that is fine. I was just wondering how much taller you could go than a 36,9 if you did that small of a lift to see if it would be worth it when I talk to Kelderman.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:56 PM
wap

It doesnt always work this way but if you were to keep you same rims and run a 255-265, basically the same width you have now, it would be POSSIBLE to run a 39-40" tire. I aint sayin it will happen as I dont mess with big truck wheels so I cant say for sure, but I know you can run a 38x12.50s with a 4" lift and 8" rims on a superduty so it should be possible on a 10" wide tire for you. It also depends if you want to take it off the pavement or not. If you are gonna be stuffin the tires you may want to run a little smaller.

Oh and no prob on the responce.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:18 AM

If I got about 4" of lift form Kelderman, do you think I could get away with running 295/75/22.5s ? I would really love to beef up the tire. Accoriding to Sumitomo, the tire is a 40.7/10.7" tire. I think that would look AMAZING on the truck. Any thoughts?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:13 AM

Leave it the way it is...use the lift to slam the truck. Duals are a waste of time to lift IMHO. Truck looks good.

BTW...you can give me the money you just saved...I got a new project/idea for mine!

LOL
Old 09-28-2006, 10:16 AM

I am looking into doing something along these lines in the spring as well...A 4.5" lift with a Centerline Blackfoot 20 X 8.5 and a 36" (325/60/R20 BFG) tire. I am questioning if this will fit too, I believe it will due not having too wide of a rim. Anyone have thoughts on this??
Old 09-28-2006, 06:41 PM

I think it looks perfect with the 255's IMO, not too big, not too small. Maybe add a 4.5" lift or so just to open up the fender wells a tich. You don't want to kill all of your new found power (even though I doubt that would happen with the goods you've added) with massive tires.

I just put on some BFG 315's and it took more power than I anticipated. Granted i'm not heavily bombed, but still. Power I can add, but the mileage loss with turning 6 315's was around 2.5 - 3 MPG, which is a little more than I expected. I was hoping for a push, since I have 4.10's I thought with the 315's the MPG would stay the same. I guess that rolling resistance really matters...
Old 09-28-2006, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by RatherBeMuddin
I think it looks perfect with the 255's IMO, not too big, not too small. Maybe add a 4.5" lift or so just to open up the fender wells a tich. You don't want to kill all of your new found power (even though I doubt that would happen with the goods you've added) with massive tires.

I just put on some BFG 315's and it took more power than I anticipated. Granted i'm not heavily bombed, but still. Power I can add, but the mileage loss with turning 6 315's was around 2.5 - 3 MPG, which is a little more than I expected. I was hoping for a push, since I have 4.10's I thought with the 315's the MPG would stay the same. I guess that rolling resistance really matters...
That's a little extreme for just tires, and not terribly heavy ones at that. Did you have the speedo recalibrated because that could be throwing off your results badly?

I like the "tucked" look of the tires, I am just a little mad they aren't wider.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
That's a little extreme for just tires, and not terribly heavy ones at that. Did you have the speedo recalibrated because that could be throwing off your results badly?

I like the "tucked" look of the tires, I am just a little mad they aren't wider.
Never had the speedo recalibrated. It seems to be off by 5mph, going by GPS and police radar check points. The power loss wasn't extreme, but I can deffinetly tell. Fuel psi reduced a tad, and egt's went up a little, from the extra strain of turning them, this is compared to the stockers. But the ride has greatly improved, fuel prices are plummeting, so all in all I will call it a fair trade. Once again I have a lot of work in the North during the winter months, I thought I would give the BFG's a try since everyone swears by them in the snow. With just a 2" leveling spacer in the front, the truck clears them very well.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:12 PM

Your truck looks great! I don't know if 42's will clear in the rear (the smallest super single I can find is a 385/65/22.5), but it would be a cool look. Are your wheels powdercoated or painted ?
Old 09-28-2006, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
Your truck looks great! I don't know if 42's will clear in the rear (the smallest super single I can find is a 385/65/22.5), but it would be a cool look. Are your wheels powdercoated or painted ?

They're just painted, I have thought about powder coating though. If they ever get scratched, a quick shot of Krylon gloss black brings it back to new. I ditched all the chome and going all black or body color, it just makes for more of a utilitarian look.

I have a set of 22.5's that I am thinking about having powder coating. I've only seen one other truck with black 22.5's, I believe it was on a white Superduty, it looked pretty slick.

I wouldn't go the super single route on your truck, the F-650's are the only thing I think they look decent on. I seen a 3rd gen Ram that had 11R's mounted, I am trying to dig that up for you at the moment. I'm not to sure what the specs were on the lift, I don't remember there being a vast amount of space in the fender well.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:38 PM
wap

RBM, what kinda flares are you runnin?
How hard were they to put on the back?
Old 09-28-2006, 07:50 PM

They're just painted, I have thought about powder coating though. If they ever get scratched, a quick shot of Krylon gloss black brings it back to new. I ditched all the chome and going all black or body color, it just makes for more of a utilitarian look.

I have a set of 22.5's that I am thinking about having powder coating. I've only seen one other truck with black 22.5's, I believe it was on a white Superduty, it looked pretty slick.

I wouldn't go the super single route on your truck, the F-650's are the only thing I think they look decent on. I seen a 3rd gen Ram that had 11R's mounted, I am trying to dig that up for you at the moment. I'm not to sure what the specs were on the lift, I don't remember there being a vast amount of space in the fender well.
I would LOVE to see bot the black 22.5 pic AND the 3rd Gen Ram that you are looking for! I agree that the F-650 are the best SUper Single looking trucks.

I found great news. Goodyear makes a 295/60/22.5!!!
I may have to check this out.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:00 AM

Never had the speedo recalibrated. It seems to be off by 5mph, going by GPS and police radar check points. The power loss wasn't extreme, but I can deffinetly tell. Fuel psi reduced a tad, and egt's went up a little, from the extra strain of turning them, this is compared to the stockers. But the ride has greatly improved, fuel prices are plummeting, so all in all I will call it a fair trade. Once again I have a lot of work in the North during the winter months, I thought I would give the BFG's a try since everyone swears by them in the snow. With just a 2" leveling spacer in the front, the truck clears them very well.

your truck looks awesome!!did you have to run a spacer in the rear to prvent the tires from rubbing?

Quick Reply: Tire Size Question w/ 4-5" Lift