3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Timing Code

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Code

Recently have done the Timing Mod and drove over 100 miles, no problems. Good results from the changed timing. This was with Banks system on #1. I now drive 100 miles or so with Banks on #4. Still no problem. I am getting low on fuel and while stpped in traffic the low fuel light comes on and so does the Malfunction Indicator Light. I check the code 0016 and the dealer tells me it is a timing code. After starting it a few times the MIL is gone, but I also put the Timing Wheel about 1/2 way back. Does anyone have any ideas why the code.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chief2
Recently have done the Timing Mod and drove over 100 miles, no problems. Good results from the changed timing. This was with Banks system on #1. I now drive 100 miles or so with Banks on #4. Still no problem. I am getting low on fuel and while stpped in traffic the low fuel light comes on and so does the Malfunction Indicator Light. I check the code 0016 and the dealer tells me it is a timing code. After starting it a few times the MIL is gone, but I also put the Timing Wheel about 1/2 way back. Does anyone have any ideas why the code.
There is a rationality between the crank sensor (what you modified) and the cam sensor (which is the back up if the crank sensor fails). If the difference between the 2 is past a certain setpoint (not sure what that is), the fault is set.

I was wondering when this would pop up.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:56 AM
zog

Rokktech Crank Sensor Installed

I installed the Rokktech Crank Sensor about 6 weeks ago....does seem a little smoother and better low end (slightly), though no MPG increase....

This post makes me wonder it I should reove the sensor and go back to stock....I use my Ram for daily driving and can't afford down time for something like a 2 degree timing advance....am I being paranoid?????
Old 11-30-2005, 12:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zog
I installed the Rokktech Crank Sensor about 6 weeks ago....does seem a little smoother and better low end (slightly), though no MPG increase....

This post makes me wonder it I should reove the sensor and go back to stock....I use my Ram for daily driving and can't afford down time for something like a 2 degree timing advance....am I being paranoid?????
I have been running the Rokktech for over 4 months now with no issues. Chief2 issue is he has a performance box that does timing also and with the tone wheel mod the computer sensed a rationality issue between the crankshaft and camshaft sensors.
So I wouldn't worry about it on your truck if running stock.

MikeyB
Old 11-30-2005, 04:00 PM

The six gun has been known to throw a crankshaft code intermittently.......that's probably what it was.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:13 PM

I get a code like this every once in a while does anyone no what it means.
Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance
I have not mod my ring tone either. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2005, 08:07 PM

PC, as stated above its a six gun thing, I used to get them on the old TST harness at idle. New harness no problem. ks
Old 11-30-2005, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by abc4yew
PC, as stated above its a six gun thing, I used to get them on the old TST harness at idle. New harness no problem. ks
Yup yer right because I now have a TST chip w/edge ez so I guess I should contact TST about it. For some reason I can't change my sig from banks to tst?

And the harness is built in to the chip?
So how do one gets new harness.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:48 PM
Tire Hater

My TST's harness plugs into the chip?
Old 12-01-2005, 01:23 AM

I have had a couple of trucks come into the shop for the same code P0016. Some of the trucks had Banks and some had Edge Juice, when I called Banks to find out why the code came up, they could not answer my question, they said that this the first time hearing about that code. When I called Edge they said that it was a soft check engine light, meaning it goes away after a few engine starts. But they still could not answer the question of why the code came up. So I contacted a freind of mine who works at the only dodge dealership here on the island in Hawaii, and he said that a truck was in the shop for the same code, I went to the dealership and spoke to the owner of the truck and asked him a couple of questions (how,when,what,his driving habits are when the code appears) and this is what my friend and I came up with: The code P0016 is like you guys said earlier (crank sensor/cam sensor). Meaning the crank sensor and cam sensor cannot read each other. This code only happens when the truck's rpm is close to redline. Then the truck's computer resets itself after a couple of starts. It doesn't seem to harm the truck as far as we can tell. Hopefully the techs at Banks or Edge can find out more information on why the code comes up.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:04 PM

Timing Code

Its all good,
The strange thing with mine was that I was sitting in traffic at idle and the same time the low fuel light came on the Malfunction Indicator Light came on. Initially the dealer thought it may have been an emmission problem with the low tank and vapors to the vapor canister. He changed his mind when he got the code. I haven't had a problem with it since then, so who knows.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by John Rodriguez
My TST's harness plugs into the chip?
Yer right my bad mine does too!
hmmm so a old harness will cause a crankshaft sensor code?
Interesting very interesting!