3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Thinkin about goin with Bully Dog - have ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinkin about goin with Bully Dog - have ???'s

Well I am in need of a new programmer, I had the trial version for a few days there and really liked it. What setting is the trial version? I am guessing tow? What is the difference between the power pup and triple dog? How easy is it to shift on the fly? Do any of you guys have the unit mounted on your dash somewhere and how does it look being hooked up all the time? How is the smoke on the higher settings? I really liked the amount of smoke on the trial, very controllable. Please let me know of your overall experience.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Banned

Had the bullydog dumped it for the Smarty.. Hands down the best IMO..

But the bullydog is adjustable onthe fly smoke is hugely insane in the higher settings... Nice product they had problems with them when I got my 06 so I ditched it the smarty is sooo much nicer...

I have a pic in my gallery with the outlook mounted next to the autometer's
Old 11-10-2007, 12:27 PM

I had the trial period on mine as well. The shop told me that it was about 90hp. Which was the performance setting on the programmer, next up is extreme or crazy larry if you have it downloaded. The triple dog works on all three diesel trucks, ford, chevy, and dodge. The power pup works on specific model only. You must be talking about the outlook monitor being mounted, you dont have to mount the programmer, the shift on the fly is awesome. I dont think smarty has that option yet, dont know about ppe either.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BDPP is a good beginner programmer, and satifies most. When you want more (as you usually do) you step up and spend big $$$$ like what I did. I had teh BDPP, liked it, wanted more, and went TST.

BDPP is a good starting out programmer with nice power, I liked mine.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Banned

Bullydog is a good product imo. We did testing to compare the triple dog vs. smarty vs. diablo. Smarty hands down won, then came diablo then triple dog. Buddy is a great guy and head dodge technician he along with bob from smarty are on this website and provide great tech support that is why they are my favorite 2 programers Diablo on the other hand dont care about the customer at all but thats a whole nother story. The difference between the tripledog and the power pup is the on the fly adjustability isnt available with the power pup nor is their ability for udating via update agent like the triple dog you have to send it in they reflash it and send it back. Buddy is working on some killer programs hopefully to be released very soon. The standard trial tune on the master downloader is tow mode, however some shops have found ways of loading the performance, extreme, or crazy larry software into the master downloader. Sometimes the trial tune wont erase itself either I should know has happened to me several times in the past.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:37 PM

Tow Mode? Why would they load tow mode, you cant even tell its on. That wouldnt sell alot of bullydogs programmers.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:22 PM

according to bully dog the free download tune is actually somewhere between tow and performance-something you can feel but not enough that you can do any damage if you have no air mods or clutch/trans. mods.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pos dodge
Tow Mode? Why would they load tow mode, you cant even tell its on. That wouldnt sell alot of bullydogs programmers.
Well if they downloaded crazy larry to your truck and you spun the rear tires in they're parking lot smoking your tranny or clutch that wouldn't look to cool either... Power does crazy things to your right foot!!!
Old 11-10-2007, 10:26 PM

I was actually very impressed with the trial version from Bully Dog. Diablo just ran terrible on my truck. So am I going to be impressed with the power compared to the trial? One thing I'm not understanding is how do you actually shift on the fly? Thats why I thought you would have to have the unit mounted somewhere.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by spooling
I was actually very impressed with the trial version from Bully Dog. Diablo just ran terrible on my truck. So am I going to be impressed with the power compared to the trial? One thing I'm not understanding is how do you actually shift on the fly? Thats why I thought you would have to have the unit mounted somewhere.
You just keep the downloader plugged into the odb port and I ran the cord over the steering wheel and tucked the downloader under or beside the two seats and when you wanted to crank her up just pull it out real quick and hit performance or extreme...
Old 11-10-2007, 10:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
plug in the downloader or outlook monitor push the up or down button to select the power level and hit y button next push pedal to floor and smile
Old 11-10-2007, 11:31 PM

nice, so is the extreme power a lot more than the trial?
Old 11-11-2007, 07:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spooling
nice, so is the extreme power a lot more than the trial?
yes especially since you have a 05 (CReed and myself and a few others) have the original scary larry racing program that is killer lost of power
Old 11-11-2007, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Luvnacumns
Well if they downloaded crazy larry to your truck and you spun the rear tires in they're parking lot smoking your tranny or clutch that wouldn't look to cool either... Power does crazy things to your right foot!!!
I still would be alot more impressed, thats why people buy downloaders to tear chit up. Every person says the same thing, whether it be ppe, bullydog, smarty, edge, quad, joe schmo, it doesnt matter, they all say im going to leave it down to protect my tranny, and within a week or two they are tired of lower levels and are running it wide open. If your tranny breaks in the parking lot, hey your already there to get a built one. Win-WIN situation.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:43 PM

I have the BullyDog Power Pup with the Crazy Larry program and have not had any problems with it in the 1.5 years I have run it. The smoke is pretty insane at the 90hp level and and the 230hp level the truck is absolutely ridiculous. I run it on 90hp all the time.

Quick Reply: Thinkin about goin with Bully Dog - have ???'s