3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

South Bend Clutch installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up South Bend Clutch installed

My stock clutch slipping pretty bad with the Quad module I had installed. I had to back it off to the 50HP setting to keep it from slipping. I finally purchased a South Bend MU 1947 Con. OFE clutch.

I called South Bend to get an idea of which clutch would be best for me. I asked about the FE, but was instructed that the best clutch isn't the most expensive clutch. Also, the OFE would be more than enough to make 400-450 RWHP. That's the one I went with.

I am not quite out of the break-in yet, but I can say that with my BDPP on the Performance setting I am unable to get the clutch to slip on the highway in 6th like the stocker used to do. I am impressed with the performance so far. Pedal feel is very different than stock. The SB starts to grab as soon as I start letting it up from the floor. The stocker wouldn't grab until almost to the top of pedal travel.

I have some pics posted in my gallery for anyone to check out.

-Muzzy
Old 04-11-2005, 05:42 PM

looks good,
I am wanting to trade in my truck for a 6 spd so i am curious on how much that clutch cost?
suprised to see you slipped your stock clutch with the quad module, wut level were you running on? any other boxes on with it? thanks for the info
Old 04-11-2005, 06:39 PM

The price for the SB Con OFE is about the same anywhere you buy it $904. Some places offer free shipping on it. The kit comes with the clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, pilot bearing, and alignment tool. I ordered mine from SB directly since they were the closest to me.

There are cheaper kits out there like Centerforce, LUK Cerametallic and Spec, but I have yet to hear anyone say anything bad about SB. I figure if I am going to put a clutch in, I only want to do it once for a long time.

I was running on the 100HP setting of my Quad module (the 0-50-100 Tow module, not the new one). I also ran the perfomance setting of my Bully Dog Power Pup and had my stock clutch slip on me. All my clutch slipping occurred in the higher gears where the torque load was highest.

With all the clutch slipping I did with the stock one, there was no wear on the flywheel. I ran a dial indicator across it and other than the stock conical machining to the surface there was no wear to the flywheel area where the clutch engaged.

-Muzzy