3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Smarty & TST Powermax Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty & TST Powermax Question

The new Smarty I recently got basically provides up to 230 HP. I also have the powermax cr R49. I got the powermax first.

Together as a stack do they really produce more power than if just using the Smarty by itself? I almost believe the Smarty would be just as effective withut stacking with the powermax.

I am fairly new using both mods, but for some reason I get the feeling the Smarty would have been fine by itself. Of course, I need to put my truck on a dyno to find out for sure. Anyone tried this stack on a dyno?
Old 02-18-2008, 07:17 PM

Been dyno'd a a few hundred times probably by now. Not by me yet however.

The thing is that there are multiple ways to make power in a cr truck. Fuel Pres., timing, duration, etc. Now the smarty doesnt use all of these ways to make power so you can get back what wasnt added with a different box.

So like if you add an ez or MP-8 that would be preassure only. And I think some boost fooling.

Also With the TST you can set you timing on you own so your not locked into what ever the smarty program has it set at.

It just works different than you would expect.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I am very jealous of your having the Smarty 230hp version.

If you load the Smarty even #s (no Smarty Timing) then you can use the TST to add a little extra timing if necessary and a little more fuel. A little pressure is a good addition to the Smarty and TST. If your R49 has Rail Pressure option the set it a 1 or maybe 2, for add rail pressure.

With your mods I would think you can run Smarty SW #8, TST Timing at 15* Auto, 05TT program and Rail pressure on 1. Set TST hp/tq on about 3/0 and see what happens.

Just my opinion with that stack.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:59 PM

I think he was just saying that he read on the website the up to 230hp model.

So far that I know none of the general public has the new race software. Last I heard was March
Old 02-18-2008, 08:09 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
He doesn't have the 230 race version, that is for sure. But he is starting with a 235 ca emissions engine (like me) which means that by the time he loads the max 130hp tune (standard program for 03-04 models) he will get 200hp more. If he is running a beta version, then it will be around 230... Nice math for us disadvantaged folks!!!
Old 02-18-2008, 08:12 PM

I want a smarty again in the worst way, I KNOW I AM STUPID for selling mine.... I now have the Quad Race and was wondering if the R49 will stack with it? Or is this a no go?
Old 02-18-2008, 09:53 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ShakinRedCTD
I want a smarty again in the worst way, I KNOW I AM STUPID for selling mine.... I now have the Quad Race and was wondering if the R49 will stack with it? Or is this a no go?
NOPE! They are both boxes doing the same thing. Either will stack with the smarty quite well though, because the smarty is a programmer and not a box.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:54 PM

Im pretty sure they do the same things so no go. You would need a preassure box or a programmer to stack with that.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:12 PM

On the Smarty box the label reads "wild". When I ordered the Smarty they said it would be the one that supports 230HP. That's all I know. I have only tried it on #3 & #5. How do I know what program I have?

Before frying my stock transmission the power was amazing.

After the ATS billet trans went in I haven't yet tried the Smarty. Kind of nervous. Just thought I'd give the transmission a couple thousand miles before ripping it up with more power.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:22 PM

I am also curious about the Smarty TST stack?
I have been running Smarty Beta 4.4 on 7 and TST Off 0/0

What I am thinking of trying is Smarty on 3 and TST 1/0

My TST is the older version Serial # in the 1000s so I cannot set the timing.

I am thinking of this more for mileage. Lower Smarty settings for less fueling and then add a little more timing by increasing TST?

Smarty on 3 and TST on 1/0
then try
Smarty on 3 and TST on 2

Does anyone know how much Timing Smarty is at level 3?
How much timing TST adds for 1? 2?

Thanks, Jeff
Old 02-24-2008, 01:07 PM

If your gonna run both and don't have adjustable timing i'd run smarty on an even number...too much timing is a very bad thing. I turned the timing up on tst one time and white smoke poured out my stacks and it sounded very bad That was before i had smarty, now i let smarty do the timing and turn the timing off tst haha.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:15 PM

I agree on to much timing being bad.. That is why I am trying to find out how much the levels add?

If I only have Smarty on 3 would it be an issue with TST on 1 or 2?

What does to much timing do? Would I see it in EGT?

I am not looking for high numbers just thought some extra timing may help my mileage?
Old 02-24-2008, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by DodgeCTD
If your gonna run both and don't have adjustable timing i'd run smarty on an even number...too much timing is a very bad thing. I turned the timing up on tst one time and white smoke poured out my stacks and it sounded very bad That was before i had smarty, now i let smarty do the timing and turn the timing off tst haha.
Haha yea ya gonna wreck your truck!! Better watch that timing!! ha ha
Old 02-24-2008, 02:48 PM

Never.. I won't do anything to hurt the truck. That is why I am trying to find out the timing levels?

If I run on Smarty 7 how much timing is that?
On level 3 how much timing is that?

Is adding the TST on 1/0 more timing that adding 4 more levels on Smarty?
I was thinking this may be less timing than when I have Smarty on 7 by itself?

Does this not make any sense? Am I missing something?

Wish I knew that each Smarty level adds 2 degrees..
TST adds 2 degrees for each level..

I do not know if this is true? Just wish I could do some math to know what would be ok to use, thats all I am looking for.

Thanks, Jeff
Old 02-24-2008, 03:10 PM

I dyno'd both TST alone, smarty alone, and the stack. TST's best 523 hp, Smarty beta 4.4's best was 561, TST Smarty Stack was a few hp less than Smarty alone - I think it was like 556 or so. Multiple runs were made trying to get the best #'s. Best for TST alone was 6/4, auto timing on 12*, standard program. Smarty alone on SW9, Smarty and TST stack Smarty on 9, TST 2/0, timing 0*, standard program. Any higher on the TST and the rail pressure would fall below 22k. I would guess that the TST might be able to be used sucessfully with dual CP3's- Take this FWIW. This only applies to using the Beta Smarty program. With the standard smarty tunes, the TST seemed to add a lot of power to the mix, although I never dynoed with this combo.

Quick Reply: Smarty & TST Powermax Question