3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Smarty jr drinking oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 01:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smarty jr drinking oil

My truck seems to be drinking oil with the smarty jr on it. With it off my oil consumption was about 20 of what it is now. I took it off because of truck drinking oil. Ran it and really didnt take much oil. Now since it has been back on the oil is disapearing. Any thoughts or what settings i should run it at?
Old 03-10-2011, 10:32 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How many miles on your truck? The smarty in and of itself does not cause the oil consumption. This doesn't mean it can't play a role.

Oil consumption can be caused from a few things from seals leaking, worn valve guides/seals, to piston ring wear and etc.

With the smarty on, you are producing more power. More power equals more cylinder pressure. That pressure can equal more blow by and that blow by can start sending more oil out the breathing tube. Have you noticed more oil there? That extra crankcase pressure will also push more oil past the valves if they are worn. Seals as well. Also the worn rings naturally let more oil past the control rings to be burnt in the cylinder. Extra power from smarty can help facilitate that as well. Do you see blue smoke?

In short, you have a problem of mechanical wear or seals or a combination of all causing the loss oil you are seeing and the extra power is what accelerates the loss.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its got 120k. Now keep in mind I checked while I was installng my strobes. I think I must have started it. And forgot. So when I checked it. it looked to be down about 2-3 quarts. Only had about 1 inch of oil on bottom of dipstick. I added 1 quart maybe a lil more. Now I have been watching it and it was holding steady about 1/3 of a inch below the safe mark xxx safe xxx. Well I checked before I left today and it was about 1/4 into the safe mark. So I am thinking i must have started and oil never drained down, Becuase i would think after adding aquart thats where it would be. No idea I think I am losing my mind

Oh no blue smoke. barely any smoke coming out of oil cap when I take it off. The bottom of motor has some on it. past the pan near tranny. But kinda look old and greasy. Not wet. Like its mixed with dirt. Never a puddle in my parking space. I have clean concrete