3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Smarty Jr. And DDP 50's. Expected Whp and Wtq? Start to a project thread......

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And a few more Sorry about the random order. My picture library needs to be sorted through!

These ones are of the gaguge senders installed, top view of the -8 to the CP3. and the relay and fuse installed for the Raptor pump next to the TIPM. I found it odd that the Raptor didnt come with a relay, and moreso that the spade you were supposed to"plug" into the fuse box was for standard blade fuses, not Mini's like this era Ram has. I added a relay using power from the TIPM feed terminal, using the TIPM only to switch the relay with the key on. I didnt want the fuel pump load on the TIPM itself, they are unreliable enough as it is. A 20 dollar relay kit and 20 minutes and were golden, using only a 10 amp fuse and a draw of just 5 amps the Raptor runs.
Attached Thumbnails Smarty Jr. And DDP 50's. Expected Whp and Wtq?  Start to a project thread......-183.jpg   Smarty Jr. And DDP 50's. Expected Whp and Wtq?  Start to a project thread......-166.jpg   Smarty Jr. And DDP 50's. Expected Whp and Wtq?  Start to a project thread......-164.jpg   Smarty Jr. And DDP 50's. Expected Whp and Wtq?  Start to a project thread......-169.jpg   Smarty Jr. And DDP 50's. Expected Whp and Wtq?  Start to a project thread......-040.jpg  

Old 10-10-2011, 08:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeap, your gonna need a turbo if you want to be able to use the fuel. EGT's can get out of hand with the stock turbo.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:05 PM

I was just reading through the instalation instructions for the EMS and Dynatrac free spin kits. For a single wheel application the kits would be a wash in my opinion, other than the obvious cost difference. For a dually the EMS kit is hands down a better choice. Heres a picture of the EMS DRW kit and a small clip of the instructions for the Dynatrac kit.

3. This kit MAY NOT be compatible with Dual Rear Wheel (DRW) trucks.
Trucks equipped with the
DRW wheels WILL require a special DRW adapter. These can be purchased through Arrowcraft. (248)-280-0210 Ask for part number AA4DDT as these parts have been made to work specifically with Dynatrac’s Free-Spin kit.
Test fit the DRW front wheel adapter on the new hubs
BEFORE installing the kit. If the adapter does not fit STOP!! DO NOT weaken the adapter by removing material from the inside! DO NOT remove material from the new Dynatrac wheel hub. At this point you may return the kit to the place of purchase for a full refund. Contact Dynatrac if you need assistance.
WARNING: Removing too much material from the inside of the Stock DRW front wheel adapter may weaken it, and cause the wheel to separate from the vehicle without warning. This may cause property damage, injury or even the death to your vehicle’s occupants and those in vehicles around you. You may choose to stop now and return this kit for a full refund. Or you may replace the stock adapter with a suitable aftermarket part. Contact Dynatrac if you need assistance.

By the time the adaptors are purchased and the shipping is paid in the parts your going to be 800+ more for the Dynatrac kit.

That would be very hard to justify the money for the job at that point.

Notice on the EMS kit the adaptor is a 1 piece machined assembly and the brake rotor bolts to the back. Very simple and effective. No extra parts and 8 less bolts holding the wheel on.....

Attached Thumbnails Smarty Jr. And DDP 50's. Expected Whp and Wtq?  Start to a project thread......-ems.jpg  
Old 10-11-2011, 03:09 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Got Soot?
I removed the OEM canister and went right to the CP3 with the -8 line. I live in Mn. There is not alot for hills around us, I dont forsee any mountain towing with heavy loads. At least its a quick switch to change tunes if the need arises.

How do you feel about a HE351 compounded with an S474?

Thanks for the information!
There are a few kits that add an S400 based primary turbo under the stock turbo and would be effective with the other mods you have listed (50hp stix/smarty jr).

The drawback to that setup always comes down to high drive pressure from the small 9cm exhaust housing and smallish turbine on the stock turbo. You can get close to 600hp out of that setup if done right.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:34 PM

I did some searching with little result on the board. Does anybody have much experiance with the BD killer B or AFE bladerunner turbos? If I could find something thats a direct bolt in and priced in the 1250-1500 range I would order it tomorrow.

I dont want to slow the spool alot, and Id like to be able to not sacrafice towing. The specs on the BD look like a nice all around piece. The AFE folks dont seem to advertise much, id like the wheel info as well at housing info on that one.

Id love to do compounds, but this is getting to be a sickness already and I want to keep some reliabliity to this rig. Maybe a nice single upgrade would do it.

The BD claims nice power increase over stock at 40 PSI. The AFE folks claim nice gains as well.

Oh the choices
Old 10-11-2011, 06:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The AFE has a smaller comp wheel than stock, which itself doesn't mean much but its MAP is also smaller.

The Killer B is getting good results.

Take a look at the Garret Powermax Stage 2, its a few bucks more but will spool faster than either of those two.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:25 AM

With a smarty S06 and some sticks I may want to consider something a touch bigger than the Killer B, after doing some more reading last night it looks like it will be outside its efficency range with an S06 cranked up and some 50-75hp sticks. Ill look into that garrett turbo as well. I e-mailed Tom at Turbosource and am waiting for a reply. I had been in touch with him earlier about turbos, and he had spoke of a hybrid jobber he did that made great power at low boost. Im going to get more specifics on that turbo and how it will be as far as daily driver and a heavy tow turbo.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:39 PM

The EMS free spin kit and Bilsteins just showed up. EMS kit was very well packaged and all contents very organized. Bearing races pre-installed and all parts individually wrapped and padded. Machining looks nice on the Yokes and hubs. Ill post some pictures and more info tonight. I plan on completing the install on the LF tonight