3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Smarty jr

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty jr

Hey guys new to the site, I have a 2005 dodge cummins with a 6 speed manual, 4" turbo back exhaust an silencer ring is Mia! Everything else is stock, just installed the smarty jr an clutch slips a bit WOT! Just wondering if I should turn it down or if messing with the tq an tm settings might help! I want better mpg an still have that smarty feel when I want it, any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks
Old 08-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to DTR!!

How many miles on your clutch? What level are you on?

My truck has 111k miles and It started to slip around 75k miles on SW3 and long story short, with the latest update I run SW2 now (see my sig for settings) and still slip a little if I'm not careful.
A new SB dual friction dual disc is in my very near future!!
Old 08-24-2012, 11:15 AM

Yep, if you have a stock clutch the smarty will kill it quick if you are not careful. You need to add more TQM to help the clutch, you will still get the smarty feel but it is more useable power at part throttle. Timing is good for the engine, higher timing will produce lower EGTs, if the smoke is not bad I would leave it on the highest setting.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:39 AM

Welcome to DTR Colby...

Yes, ^^ what they said!
SW3 (if that's what your are running...) is a little aggresive for the stock tranny. Dial it down to SW2 and "roll into the throttle" rather than stomping it from a dead stop (not assuming you are doing this...but you know).
As a result, you will find the additional power is consistant and smooth through acceleration as you get up to speed.

Fortunately, (or unfortunately) you are going to find yourself in the same boat as many of us if you want to utilize the full potential added power behind even the Samrty Jr...In short, start putting your pennies in a tranny fund brother!
*Rackcrawler (and my wife) can tell you...I'm about a year deep into mine!

Fill out your sig so everyone knows what your working with...it helps the guys on here (much more informed than myself) give you solid advise. You will find there are a lot of helpful folks on here!

Good luck and enjoy your Smarty!
Old 08-24-2012, 01:10 PM

Hey guys thanks for the info, so maybe I should bump down to sw 2 an mod my tq an tm! What setting y'all think I should try first? Thanks again
Old 08-24-2012, 01:14 PM

Maybe sw2 an 2 or 4 on the tm an 2 on tq?
Old 08-24-2012, 01:39 PM

Just seeing if my sig is working, thanks for the help again guys, hope to get some photos up soon!
Old 08-24-2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Colbydean4786
Just seeing if my sig is working, thanks for the help again guys, hope to get some photos up soon!
Yes Sir...your Sig is up!

To answer your "settings question", you may want to play around with your settings for what best suits you. However, if you are looking for a "quick fix", you can run SW2, TQ2, TM2, POD 99 (POD 99 is the default...) if you want the most aggresive power and throttle response with respect to the TQ & TM settings.
Again, I have found that I can safely run this setting for daily driving. This setting offers "me" PLENTY of daily driving power and the tranny can handle it just fine without wanting to throw-up every time I roll into the skinny pedal (again, as long as you are not drag racing from every stop light you should be fine...). In short, until you get an upgraded clutch/tranny...I think you will find that there is plenty of additional power to take advantage of even with your current stocker.
However, whenever I know I am going to be heading out on a trip with a lot of Interstate miles I will dial her back up to SW3. At HWY speeds, with just a light touch on the throttle she will climb from 60 to 80 in a flash . Personally, I enjoy the diffrence that Smarty makes on the HWY as much or more than the daily driving round' town...
Hope this helps! Seems like only yesterday I was asking these guys the same questions!
Ya'll have a great weekend!
Old 08-24-2012, 02:47 PM

Thanks for the info again, my truck runs awesome on sw3 just when ya push her a little hard she slips! When you do turn yours up to sw3 are you running default on tq an tm or what have you found to work the best? I really just drive 50 miles a day to work an want mpg, if I tune sw3 an keep my foot out of it would that be a better option for mpg or what would you recommend?
Old 08-24-2012, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Colbydean4786
Thanks for the info again, my truck runs awesome on sw3 just when ya push her a little hard she slips! When you do turn yours up to sw3 are you running default on tq an tm or what have you found to work the best? I really just drive 50 miles a day to work an want mpg, if I tune sw3 an keep my foot out of it would that be a better option for mpg or what would you recommend?
Yes, when I run SW3 I leave it at TQ2 & TM2...
As for getting the best MPG? Good question...
To be honest, I really don't get too excited about MPG (Not that I'm rich...I just don't have a long commute on a daily basis).
I know a lot of guys that are concerned about MPG run SW3 for daily driving where they have a lot of HWY miles. This is claimed to be the best setting to acheive this...
However, when it comes to the preffered TQ & TM settings to get the best MPG I really would not be the best source to ask considering I clearly have been more interested in going in the opposite direction (throttle response & overall power). Don't worry though...you will find your answer pretty quick on here with some easy searching, and or someone will speak up that knows better than me!
Sorry, but I try to keep from being "that guy that doesn't know, but will certainly give you the answer"...I already have enough of those boneheads buddies around me (hence, I get all my info from the wealth of these guys on here).
Good luck!