3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

SilverStar bulb installation on 3rd gen Ram

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SilverStar bulb installation on 3rd gen Ram

I've had some Sylvania SilverStar bulbs for a few weeks now and need some advice from anyone who has put these or any bulbs in. I read somewhere that it takes anywhere from 10 minutes to 4 hours. Has anyone installed or even changed the stock bulbs on a 2003 truck and if so, how was it done. Might as well get the first hand version from someone who's done it rather than going out there and going at it blind.
Thanks for helping.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:14 AM

I went to buy some yesterday because they were on sale but they were out of the headlight bulbs. I got the fogs and they took about 2 minutes to install. They are definitely brighter than the stock lights.
As far as the headlights, I read that the right side is easy to do and the left is easy if you have small hands. If not then pull the fuse box off and then it's easy. I will probably try to find the headlight bulbs today......
Old 11-14-2004, 07:05 AM

Replaced all 4 on my 04.5 and it was very easy. I followed the instructions in the owners manual. It did help and worth the $$$. Total time for all 4 was maybe 40 minutes and I'm not a wiz kid. Good luck..........
Old 11-14-2004, 01:41 PM

Alright, I found some headlights at PepBoys today and installed them this afternoon.

First, the right side wasn't that bad but just because I have removed my air box for the BHAF. That side went in pretty easily. (10 minutes)

The driver's side took a little more work. Even my little girly hands were too big to fit in there to remove the stock bulb. I pulled the two bolts and 1 screw for the fuse box but I couldn't figure out how to get it free from the battery box. I ended up removing the battery just to discover that there are two slotted holes with pegs holding the fuse box to it. You can just grab the fuse box and slide it to the left and it will free itself so you can move it out of the way. You just grab the big gray round thing surrounding the bulb and turn it counterclockwise and then unplug the bulb. Then just unplug the wiring and then reinstall with the new light. (25 minutes but only because I pulled the battery out.)

I know the fogs are brighter but I won't know till tomorrow if the headlights are better. I'll post the results tomorrow...
Old 11-14-2004, 03:06 PM
abb

All you have to do is take the 3 bolts out of either side you have 1 on the outside by the fender and the others or by the radiater and pull the whole light assembly out change them and do a reverse! Maybe a 15 minute job lol
Old 11-15-2004, 08:09 PM

Ahhh!! I can see in the dark now.. I'd say these bulbs are definitely worth the $$$. Especially the fogs! Man those things are sweet now!!
Old 11-15-2004, 08:48 PM

Well that went good. All sorts of reponses about how to do the bulb change.
Now to get out there and change them.
Thanks guys!!
Old 11-16-2004, 04:11 AM

Bring it over. I'll help you...........
Old 11-16-2004, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Read the owners manual........after screw removal....it takes a little extra pull but the assembly will come right out..........passenger side the worst due to short wire
Old 11-16-2004, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by abb
All you have to do is take the 3 bolts out of either side you have 1 on the outside by the fender and the others or by the radiater and pull the whole light assembly out change them and do a reverse! Maybe a 15 minute job lol
LOL is right. Both sides took me a total of 10 minutes to swap out the main bulbs for PIAA's. A few bolts and the whole headlight assembly pulls out forward, making the bulb change a snap..
Old 11-16-2004, 11:06 AM

So how much brighter are the Silverstars? What about the PIAAs? Any feedback from those of you that are usng them now? I think the reflectors on the headlights suck some butt.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:14 PM

The headlight reflectors are awful and the cause of the problem, you're correct Barrett. I wish there was a HID retrofit kit that looked nice. The PIAA's are great. I don't know how they compare to silverstars, but when this topic first came up, PIAA's were the bulb of choice. I'm not sure if that's because they are better than silverstars or just available first. Regardless, the PIAA's are definitely brighter by a good bit than the stockers, and the beam spread is wider. I like the brightness of the new bulbs, however the reflector angles cause all the problems. Too much light is spread outside the immediate road area, causing the immediate road area to be quite dim. I hate being on two lane roads next to some POS and seeing their headlights light up the road brightly and mine are hard to tell if they're even on.. Especially on rainy roads with streetlights...it's hard to tell if they are even working.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:05 PM

Well I installed one Sylvania Silerstar bulb, the passenger side. A brighter whiter light than stock. I had to look close but the Silverstars are alot whiter.
I only installed the passenger side because while I was putting the bulb in my screwdriver fell down between the radiators. It took me a half hour to get it out and by then it was getting dark. Got out the worklight and finished the job. I would have done the drivers side but the third screw is in there a ways between the bumper and the headlight. I didn't have an extention for the 1/4 socket it takes to get to it.
Tomorrow I'll get one and finish the driver's side by taking out the headlight housing.