3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

short throw shifters need feedback

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
short throw shifters need feedback

i saw that geno's is stocking short throw shifters for manual trans are they worth it or not?it says no more missed gears,need some feedback.thanks
Old 02-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Banned

They are nice. We've heard nothing but good things from our customers who hav them, as well as from folks oh these forums. With the more positive feel, 5th is a lot easier to find.

I don't actually have one on my truck, yet. I have other things to buy first (got keep the autocross car at the top of National compeititon heap, and $2k wheels cut into the truck budget a bit. But sooner or later I will have one, just not a pressing part for my particular needs.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:17 PM

I have one on mine and really like it. It shortened the throw quite bit. I would do it again if I got another truck.

Johnny
Old 02-11-2005, 08:58 PM

i put the BD short throw on my truck about 2 weeks ago.. after first putting it in i thought it was crap... it was hard to find the gears at first, but now after relearning the new locations of the gears, shifting is ok... it is a little harder to gets the gears in while sitting idling at a light, but it's been cold up here, and it was a little stiff before the shift kit.. if you try to drive it like a sports car, the shifting is pretty easy, but if you are puttering along granny shifting, it almost seems harder to get the gears into mesh.. the install is pretty easy [took me about 2 hours on a cold monday morning, stopping to take pictures every so often, still haven't uploaded them though...]

would i do it again, i think i would now that i have gotten use to it, but it is a little odd at first
Old 02-12-2005, 07:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nickleinonen,
Good feedback. I have heard the same about relearning to shift with the kit installed. Since the throws are shorter and having less leverage. I bet cold mornings can be a pain.
Might try the kit since I'm in a warmer climate.

MikeyB
Old 02-13-2005, 10:46 AM

I have had mine in for a few months ... Its was a little harder to shift than I thought it would be. I had a SB DD 3600 installed yesterday and now its REALLY hard to shift. I was told that it will get better when the clutch breaks in. If it dont I am going back to stock throw and see what that does ........

Why did I have to have a 6-speed
Old 02-13-2005, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about cutting the stock shifting handle off a few inches? This would make your hand move less. I'm thinking about doing this. What do you think?
Old 02-16-2005, 02:23 AM

Originally posted by HighTen
How about cutting the stock shifting handle off a few inches? This would make your hand move less. I'm thinking about doing this. What do you think?
you could also bend it in 2 spots, moving the handle closer to you, and will intern, shorten the effective length of the shifter stock [line of sight from the handle to the fulcrum] there was a guy selling some oem ones that were bent [whiplash shifter i think? google it and see what you get] for like $50 or $75...

i plan on making my own shifter shafts for the 4x4 and 6speed... get them powder coated or anodized... just need to get some supplies and add it to my project list...

i think the thread is 14x2.0mm on the shifter shaft, so i need to find a coupling nut in that size..