3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Resonator or second muffler

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Resonator or second muffler

OK, so I'm a misfit and I'm trying to get my truck as quiet as possible! I already have a 51" Nelson stuffed with FG insulation but it's not as quiet as stock and I have a little 2k drone. I talked to a Nelson rep today and she suggested their 4" resonator ahead of the muffler. I asked about using another muffler (because resonators are so tiny) but she thought the resonator would do better. I felt like she wasn't sure cuz 2 mufflers is kinda uncharted territory. It seems to me that if a little resonator is good that another big muffler would be better. Anybody know? TIA! Craig
Old 07-09-2007, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sure sounds like alot of restriction to me. I know you want it quiet but im gonna guess your getting into the actual powerloss situation if you put a necked down resonator of some kind. I would atleast look into a straight thru style of muffler that might add to the quiet without taking from the power.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Banned

Get a stock resonator from a Mega Cab and I bet it stops your drone. Should be able to pick them up cheap since so many upgrade to aftermarket exhaust.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:02 PM

stock mega resonators are straight through so they have as much restriction as a straight pipe the same size and length...
Old 07-09-2007, 06:12 PM

sounds like a good plan to me.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:49 PM

I didn't know what the Megas have. I'll start looking. Craig
Old 07-09-2007, 06:53 PM

I'm pretty sure Shane has his resonator off his mega lying around still???
I just sold mine......
Old 07-09-2007, 06:58 PM

here is a pic of mine...from when I took it off for my stack install.....it's the one that is still attached to the tailpipe/tip still..(far right of pic)

Old 07-09-2007, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by C Schomer
OK, so I'm a misfit and I'm trying to get my truck as quiet as possible! I already have a 51" Nelson stuffed with FG insulation but it's not as quiet as stock and I have a little 2k drone. I talked to a Nelson rep today and she suggested their 4" resonator ahead of the muffler. I asked about using another muffler (because resonators are so tiny) but she thought the resonator would do better. I felt like she wasn't sure cuz 2 mufflers is kinda uncharted territory. It seems to me that if a little resonator is good that another big muffler would be better. Anybody know? TIA! Craig
I'm like you, got tired of the drone so I installed a second Magnaflow 5" muffler. Its a little more restriction but I can't tell any difference power or EGT wise. Made a WORLD of difference inside but still has a nice tone outside. I'll take a pic and try to get it posted up.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...pe/Muffler.jpg
Old 07-09-2007, 11:07 PM

It sounds like the resonators stop the drone but I'm kinda leaning towards another muffler cuz I also want it quieter inside. I probably won't do anything til fall - summer isn't the time for working under the truck or welding around here. Craig
Old 07-10-2007, 07:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by C Schomer
It sounds like the resonators stop the drone but I'm kinda leaning towards another muffler cuz I also want it quieter inside. I probably won't do anything til fall - summer isn't the time for working under the truck or welding around here. Craig
The resonators also make it quieter inside. You originally said you have drone at 2k. You already have one muffler that isn't stopping the drone so why add another one? There's a reason even the muffler company suggested a resonator over a 2nd muffler.

You could probably find a stocker off a Mega Cab with the tailpipe section still in tact. That way all you have to do is swap the rear tailpipe sections and then you have a resonator installed. There's no way you're going to fit a 2nd 51" muffler anyway.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:25 PM

I just thought if a little resonator is good, a big muffler would be better - maybe not. The lady told me to put the resonator ahead of the muffler for best results. I wonder why DC put it in the TP. So, if the resonator will also make it quieter that's what I'll do. Craig
Old 07-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 53 ******
I'm pretty sure Shane has his resonator off his mega lying around still???
I just sold mine......
I wish.... I was giving mine to a fellow on here went to the shop and some edited by admin loaded up my whole exhaust sytem muffler(s) and all and took it???? Who would need that??? Some people kill me!!

Last edited by Totallyrad; 07-10-2007 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Profanity S/L
Old 07-10-2007, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Luvnacumns
I wish.... I was giving mine to a fellow on here went to the shop and somebody loaded up my whole exhaust sytem muffler(s) and all and took it???? Who would need that??? Some people kill me!!
probably one of those dang 2nd gen guys wanting a cheap 4" set-up
Old 07-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the one off my truck. has like 250 miles on it. Where you live at?

Quick Reply: Resonator or second muffler