3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

removing two piece plastic steering column

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 09:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
removing two piece plastic steering column

installing my dual guage pod steering column mount today. i want to take the upper plastic piece of the column off, since i am going to drill holes in order to attach my mount. i took the two bottom tork screws out form the bottom of the column-but i can not get it off?? any tricks?? am i missing something?? you know how it is with plastic- i am trying to be gentle as not to break anything! thanks.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:59 AM

come on guys!!
Old 02-04-2006, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rjm022
installing my dual guage pod steering column mount today. i want to take the upper plastic piece of the column off, since i am going to drill holes in order to attach my mount. i took the two bottom tork screws out form the bottom of the column-but i can not get it off?? any tricks?? am i missing something?? you know how it is with plastic- i am trying to be gentle as not to break anything! thanks.
It's been so long sense I did mine I can't remember the details, but I remember I had to play with it quite a bit to get it off. I had to cut two big holes in the original cover to get the necessary clearence for the gauges. Then I glued the two together before reinstalling.
Just wiggle it around, and move the tilt stearing wheel in different positions, and try different positions for the shift lever. You'll get it. It aint rocket science.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is from the 2004 Dodge DR Manual, I have to go, but if you need I can cut post the Figure images late tonight.

REMOVAL
WARNING: BEFORE SERVICING THE STEERING
COLUMN THE AIRBAG SYSTEM MUST BE DISARMED.
REFER TO ELECTRICAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM
FOR SERVICE PROCEDURES. FAILURE TO DO
SO MAY RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT OF
THE AIRBAG AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.
CAUTION: All fasteners must be torqued to specification
to ensure proper operation of the steering
column.
(1) Position the front wheels straight ahead.
(2) Disconnect the negative (ground) cable from
the battery.
(3) Remove the two switches from the steering wheel.
(4) Remove the airbag, (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/RESTRAINTS/DRIVER AIRBAG - REMOVAL).
(5) Remove the steering wheel with special tool CJ98–1 or an appropriate steering wheel puller.
CAUTION: Ensure the puller bolts are fully engagedinto the steering wheel and not into the clockspring, before attempting to remove the wheel. Failure to do so may damage the steering wheel/clockspring.
(6) Remove the steering column opening cover (Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/STEERING COLUMN OPENING COVER - REMOVAL).
(7) Remove the tilt lever.
(8) Remove the column shrouds (Fig. 2).
(9) Remove the clock spring, (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/RESTRAINTS/CLOCKSPRING - REMOVAL).
(10) Disconnect the wiring harness to the column.
Fig. 1 STEERING COLUMN
1 - LOCK CYLINDER
2 - GEAR SHIFT LEVER
3 - MOUNTING HOLES
4 - STEERING COLUMN
5 - TILT LEVER
Fig. 2 UPPER & LOWER SHROUDS
1 - UPPER SHROUD
2 - LOWER SHROUD
(11) Remove the shift cable from the column shift lever actuator (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - 32RH/GEAR SHIFT CABLE - REMOVAL). (Fig. 3).
(12) Release the shift cable from the column bracket and remove it from the bracket.
(13) Remove the SKIM module in order to disconnect the electrical connector.
(14) Remove the upper steering shaft coupler bolt and slide the shaft down (Fig. 4) & (Fig. 5)
(15) Remove the brake light switch and discard
(Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/LAMPS/LIGHTING - EXTERIOR/BRAKE LAMP SWITCH - REMOVAL).
(16) Remove the four steering column mounting nuts (Fig. 6).
Fig. 3 SHIFT CABLE CONNECTOR
1 - Shift lever
2 - Cable Connection
3 - Overdrive Electrical Wiring
4 - Mounting Screws
Fig. 4 COUPLER SHAFT
1 - MOUNTING HOLES
2 - COUPLER BOLT HOLE
Fig. 5 UPPER STEERING COUPLER
1 - STEERING COUPLER
2 - PINCH BOLT HOLE
Fig. 6 MOUNTING HOLES
1 - MOUNTING HOLES
19 - 8 COLUMN DR
(17) Remove the steering column assembly from the vehicle. (Fig. 7)
Old 02-04-2006, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rjm022
There are 3 screws. i asume you have tilt wheel? if so you need to pull off the handle and underneath there is a torx screw. then there are 2 more one in the middle and 1 on the edge.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:02 PM

i got it! stupid me missed the third torx screw-above the tilt steering lever!