3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Rebuilt "built" 48RE lost all gears

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 10:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rebuilt "built" 48RE lost all gears

Well got the trans built dropped 4500 after spending an extra 500 for a case. Done by a very reputable shop with quality parts and skills. Triple disk converter. Precision transmission internals.

Here we are maybe a month after the rebuild

Basically what I'm curious if anyone has any ideas before I get it towed to the shop.

Reverse to drive started banging hard within a couple hundred miles yet I needed the truck to haul camper horses etc to the county fair 6 trips total of 200 miles loaded fairly heavy between 8500 and 15000lbs.

Then slowly but surely I start noticing the 2nd to 1st gear downshift would happen a few seconds after I came to a stop. Or it would hit so hard I'd look in the mirror thinking someone bumped me. Then I started to actually loose drive while I was moving. Examples. Once I was coming up my gravel drive from the barn and got the gravel wheel hop slightly and she revved sky high. Left off the throttle all was well. Had that happen twice. Next I hit a speed bump towing same thing. Third time I was pulling out into a busy road! I assumed adjustment of a linkage was not on the detent the whole way and was needing adjustment so I had brushed it off.

So a few days ago I was driving along and I heard what I swore was my belt shredding on the way back from a doctor appointment for my wife who got hit in the rear end by a texting driver while she was at a stop light and totaled her 13 low mile mint Jetta diesel

Got out mumbling words to myself while the wife gave me the not again look. To my surprise nothing. Figured maybe the fan or ac slipped on the belt seeing as I have a new one and have yet to get it on

The next morning I'm up head off to the barn which is a 5 mile trip, leave the truck idle while I'm there for a half hour feeding. Get about a mile back towards the house and the torque converter full locked coming to a stop in what I believe was 3rd possible second. Hit neutral come back to drive problem solved.

Pull in the driveway to get the wife to go in to the hospital for her wrist surgery from her car accident. Hear this weird noise which at the moment of rushing cause we were late I assumed it was injector noise and kept it to myself as not to upset the wife with another well needed performance upgrade., well that lasted all of about ten seconds. I pulled up the driveway in reverse get onto the road and all gears are gone, absolutely nothing in any direction. Finally BAM kicks in hard yet barely moves. Pulled in driveway wife upset as everything is the "darn tuners fault" (I won't tell her different ) except this time I get the whole " thought he was the best tranny guy around" and honestly in my local area he is. No ones perfect no parts are perfect things happen I'm not upset and I understand. She doesn't....

That brings me to today. Get ancy down at my Polaris garage that I have and decide I need to come look and see what's going on with my truck. Fire it up. Wouldn't you know it all gears are back, well may as well test drive it right, umm..bad idea. I made it back to my Polaris dealership. So here's what happened on the drive.

Pull out of the driveway all is fine for a second. Hit second gear acts like it revs higher between shifts. Remember this is a positive shift tranny there is no wait between gears it's in now. Leave off the gas all is gone even for a few seconds after hitting the gas nothing then smoothly the trans is back. Yet not perfect. Pull up to one of my garage doors and one of our workers comes out confused because I was complaining all day about it. Suddenly the "belt" noise is back. All gears are gone.

Here's the other thing I noticed. I checked my fluid once a week on this truck along with oil levels. Trans is always checked when warm. Always dead on the mark. Today I pull the dipstick it's two inches high. My only conclusions is my pump is dying and when I'm pulling the dipstick it's virtually like checking the transmission fluid cold in park with engine not running. 100 percent incorrect. I can't foresee anything else unless there's many of parts floating in the atf causing it to rise .

Basically all I'm looking for is to give myself some idea of what is going on. Shop is amazing with warranty parts and covering labor on all new parts that they had replaced in the trans. Where I'm scared is in their warranty agreement covererage contract that they will not warranty damage cause by parts not replaced or damage caused by parts not replaced. Yet I know they would cover at leas labor. I'm very mechanically inclined and would have initially had done the rebuild myself yet at the time we just had a new born and boy I never had realized what people meant when they say they have no time after a child! So what I'm looking for is ideas to ask the tranny shop what is and isn't covered to determine if I'll just take next weekend and yank it myself or pay pay pay which I don't wanna do because as of now with the wife laid up the truck isn't of dire need to drag me and her around to the barrel rodeo circuits.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like your pump gear is spinning on the shaft, but you should see metal filings if that was the case. Might want to check the valve body and make sure the oil pressure screw, sticks out about inch and a half and has blue loctite on it. It might need adjusting. Check transmission fluid pressures at the pressure ports.

This service manual can give you all the pressure check ports. http://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/...alogs/48RE.pdf
Old 04-18-2018, 12:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
What was the problem?