3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Rail Pressure Fooling

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rail Pressure Fooling

Is there a product out there that fools the ECM into thinking there is lower rail pressure than what you're running so you can run higher? Details pls.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:03 PM

Isn't that what most of the pressure based boxes do??

Like the TST??
Old 12-17-2007, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well not necessarily TST except new rail pressure option, but yes the pressure only boxes are at least in most cases intercepting the rail pressure sensor and varying that signal to the ECM to allow for higher rail pressure at parameter readings that would normally not request that much pressure.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:12 AM

I hear ya,...

But you know what,.. it/they raise rail pressure,... but NOT that much. Put a gauge on it,.. an accurate one, and you'll see a very moderate raise in pressure in the rail. I recently ran a Dr. P lvl 4 and I have an EZ and it's only a couple thousand psi difference and it's not getting into that area that is needed to make huge power. I know the newest version of the TST will simply let you arrow up to a point you can actually blow the rv valve (I have mine capped) but I'm not interested in testing the failure point of other items in my fueling system. What I want is an alternative product that will JUST fool/& then raise the rail pressure to the 26k to 27k range which is what I understand to be the place you need to be to make the huge power.

Apparently what's happening is you can have overkill, as I do, on lift pump and cp3/modded cp3/or dual cp3s and until the gate keeper of the release of that power (the ECM), then significant pressure increase in/to the rail,...... which will then open the gate to that power, then you're not where you'd like to be if you want to push that power up significantly.

Sooooo that brings me to my original question,... is there a product out there that does what the TST will do relative to FOOLING the ECM on rail pressure. Thoughts?

Last edited by OT-OF-Here; 12-18-2007 at 06:18 AM. Reason: sp
Old 12-18-2007, 11:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Still not clear on why you want "RP fooling" in order to attain ~26Kpsi in the rail... boxes/downloaders already do this - by increasing the rate of RP rise/throttle position.

For instance, the Quad box ramps up to maximum RP faster & sooner with each higher power setting.
Smarty also ramps up RP more quickly...

Is this what you're asking?
Old 12-18-2007, 08:41 PM

I don't really know how your measuring rail pressure, but my mp-8 will fool the factory computer into thinking that full rail pressure is never achieved after about 3/4 turn of the ****. That right there will make the rail pressure run 100% of what the pump / pressure relief vavle is capable of.

Tested this by using a DRB and running the truck down the highway... I could stand on it, (stock setting) watch the RP max out and then turn the **** on the MP-8 and it would acutally make the computer (and DRB) read a lower rail pressure, but the truck was runnig twice as strong...

SO if your trying to read RP from the computer then your getting a false reading, the only way you could acturately measure RP is from a stand along gauge hooked directly to the rail.

When we had the "dyno day" up at Lou Fuze, someone grabbed a DRB and was plugging it into the trucks on the dyno... He kept telling everyone that they where running out of fuel because of low rail pressures, but if any of them had a pressure box installed then the DRB reading was false...
Old 12-18-2007, 09:05 PM

can i run a fooler with an edge juice?
Old 12-19-2007, 06:17 AM

rail fooling

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Still not clear on why you want "RP fooling" in order to attain ~26Kpsi in the rail... boxes/downloaders already do this - by increasing the rate of RP rise/throttle position.

For instance, the Quad box ramps up to maximum RP faster & sooner with each higher power setting.
Smarty also ramps up RP more quickly...

Is this what you're asking?
I have tried the EZ and the lvl 4 Dr. P which is a Mac Daddy pressure box and it will not drive my rail pressure as high as you are indicating so the fooling factor is NOT achieved with at least those two boxes. I seriously doubt then an MP8 will do it when most people can only run it on 25% to 40% of it's capability. The feature for this on the TST can do this virtually alone as you can turn everything else all the way down or maybe even off and still raise the rail to rv failure levels. So if this Quad box can do that and NOTHING else,.. no timing,.. no duration,... then it would be a product I need to ck out.

Mark Chappel indicated that each level of increase to the rail pressure over 23.5 will yield power increases above and beyond the same setup with lower levels of pressure.

I'm pretty much happy with the power I'm making but I would like to stay with the combo's I'm running but feel a need to increase the rail pressure itself maybe by 3k psi. The result should be rewarding.

Any product that will do JUST that?
Old 12-19-2007, 04:23 PM

MP-8...nuff said.

You could put a resistor of some sorts if you knew the size.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:02 AM

WHERE ARE YOU MEASURING RP FROM???

If the MP-8 can't get you to where you want to be, then you might have pump issues... Call Denis at TS and talk with him, he will flash what ever you want into the box.... but to be honest I think he already has pretty much eleminated the "cut-off" limit on the current box...

I am pretty sure (others can confirm) but the MP-8 is the highest pressure box out (definately higher than the quad), so if this doesn't fill your needs then you have to address the issue mechanically, not electronically...
Old 12-22-2007, 10:59 AM

Rail pressure fooling

If you ever wondered what rail pressure above 23.5 can do then read Gunnar's posts on this same thread over on Comp D. He's a Cummins engineer. Nuffffff said.

Tks for ya-allllls input.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:27 PM

you could always wire a ground switch into the pumps were as when you fkip it he pumps will supply as much fuel and pressure as they can.will only work well for all out performance
Old 12-22-2007, 12:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by king d
you could always wire a ground switch into the pumps were as when you fkip it he pumps will supply as much fuel and pressure as they can.will only work well for all out performance
explain on how to do this and not throw a cel??
Old 12-22-2007, 02:13 PM

Pressure measuring

I have not recently had it measured and my local shop is just covered so I'm waiting for the opportunity,.. but in the past when he has measured it then it was at the computer plug-in,... in the cab with his Snap-on monitor.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by OT-OF-Here
I have not recently had it measured and my local shop is just covered so I'm waiting for the opportunity,.. but in the past when he has measured it then it was at the computer plug-in,... in the cab with his Snap-on monitor.

If that is the case then ask him how can he get a true reading if you are running a "pressure fooling box".. because the sensor that measures pressure is being intrupted with the pressure box, and lying to the computer. BUT if you are only running a programmer then you are probably getting a true reading....

with a pressure box you get:

sensor---> pressure box (lying to the computer/altering signal)-----> computer ----->data port plug---->DRB scanner... So you can not acturately measure pressure from that plug with a DRB...

Quick Reply: Rail Pressure Fooling