3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Questions about doing a Smarty update

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 02:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Questions about doing a Smarty update

OK, I still have my 04.5 in my signature. It currently has 175K miles and has been running a Smarty S-04 since about 50K miles. I updated my Smarty once a long long time ago. Basically I've been very happy with the Smarty as is and haven't bothered to update it. Since it has been updated I have had Flux 1.8 injectors installed.

My truck has become a bad smokey pig. It has plenty of power but in this Texas heat, it leaves a black cloud with anything less than a light throttle on take off. Sometimes it will haze. Since I use my truck for daily driving and towing.....smoke is not my goal here. It's fine at the track, but otherwise I'd rather it not.

Anyway, I guess im looking for advice on doing an update to try to stop some of the smoke.

It's been so long since I've updated....like probably 4 or 5 years ago...I honestly don't remember what to do. I know I need do a "zip" file thing of some sort.

Do I need to remove the tune on my truck and go back to stock before doing an update? Am I going to be limited because mine is a "S-04" smarty?

Im still running the stock turbo for now. I want to upgrade but "life" keeps getting in the way. Also, I have an MP8 which I keep at zero percent unless im a track or dyno...which is far and few between lately.

Thanks for any advice from those that have been there/done that.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:42 AM

http://madselectronics.com/DownloadS04A.html

I guess I found most of what I need here. But any advice to give or comments about the newer software would be appreciated. Thx.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TexasCTD -
Once you download the updated software from the MADS site, upzip the file. You will be looking for a .Smt file extension once you have unzipped the file that you download. The .Smt file will be what you download to your smarty. Plug Smarty in the USB port of your Microsoft Windows® based computer.
Windows finds a new hardware and asks for the drivers. DO NOT allow Windows to install the default driver. Suggest instead to Windows the folder with the files extracted from driver file as Smarty driver. I have a smarty jr. and just downloaded the 5.14b update last night. I haven't transfered the file to my smarty, but will do so tomorrow. From what I remember, there is no need to go back to the stock tune before you update with the new software.

I totally understand what you are saying about having a "smoky pig" on you hands. With the Texas heat, I have to be mindful of the black smoke my truck produces. We have a new city ordinance where the PD is looking for and ticketing excessive black smoke. Living in a college town has it's drawbacks!
Old 09-03-2012, 01:29 AM

Thanks a bunch Farm Boss. I have a Smarty Sr. (S-04) so it looks like I need the REVO version 3.15B Data: R.23s from Feb. 16, 2012. Please, anybody, correct me if im wrong. I hope the REVO software will help with the smoke and not take away any power.

I think I will go ahead and put the power back to stock too, just to be safe and actually try driving the truck a little without it.....for a short while just to remind myself why I love the Smarty power. It's been a long long time since I did that... But as I recall the truck's power was like . I remember putting it back on very quickly afterward.

Does anybody have any experience to share with the latest REVO software I mentioned above?

Old 09-03-2012, 06:01 PM

OK if somebody could help me with this, I would really appreciate it. I did it once a long long time ago, but now I'm lost. I have a "folder" titled "smarty" on my computer. I downloaded the new REVO software and put it in the folder along with another older version or two that is already there. I know im supposed to "Zip" or "unzip" it somehow. I just don't remember and don't see the instructions I think I need to do what im supposed to do. Please help.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TexasCTD -

If you right click on the file that you download from the MADS website, you should see a list of choices. What you will be looking for is the "7-Zip" or "Un-Zip" option; if you have the appropriate unzipping software installed on your computer, which you should since you updated your smarty some time ago. When you "un-zip" the file that you downloaded from the MADS site, you will get a file with a ".Smt" ending - this is what you send to your smarty.

I had not done a file upgrade in about a year, so it took me a while to figure out what how I did it the first time. Good Luck!
Old 09-04-2012, 01:06 AM

Thanks Farm Boss. I downloaded the file from Mad's website and put it in a new folder. Downloaded the zip file and unzipped/zipped it into another folder. Took that file....which ended in .smt and put it in smartyusb.exe file. Plugged the smarty to the computer and sent the smartyusb.exe file with the new version to the smarty. It took a little while (20 minutes or so) and said it did it.

What I did this time seems sightly different that last time.......but the smarty and computer said it worked, so I guess it did. Thanks for your input.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:02 PM

So far so good with the newer software. It's not as smokey now. I can leave a black cloud with minimal effort if I try but I have to push the peddle further to do it....which is a good thing. For normal acceleration I just see a slight haze in this TX heat.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep, the newer Revo program isn't as smokey, but for me it feels a little weaker than the previous software versions. Experimenting I bumped up the rail pressure to level 2 and the response is back.

MikeyB