3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Proposed Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proposed Upgrades?

My son wants to do a little performance upgrading to his truck, 2003 QC 4x4 5.9HO with 200k on the clock. It's all stock except he strait piped the exhaust.

He wants a little more power. We have researched a lot and think a viable path is a Smarty Jr., monitoring (boost, egt, Fuel pressure), upgrading to a HE351w turbo, 4" downpipe and exhaust, maybe an Airdog 100 system and 50hp stix (not immediately).

Tranny mods in the future, when this one gives out, its the original.

I'm afraid to even put this part but you know how kids are. He wants it to roll a little coal, if possible. Yes, yes, I know, please don't beat me/him up. He works hard for the money he does things to his truck with.

Any input or a better plan in terms of power/performance is welcome.

Thanks to all,

TXPower
Old 04-19-2017, 02:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If he's just looking for a little more power, i would just start with the smarty and go from there. But if you plan on doing the injectors and turbo, i would go with better tuning like HP or UDC pro. Build that tranny like you mentioned.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:35 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
For a small increase in power, slot the holes in the tone ring and increase the timing slightly. This mod costs nothing except time. Do a search on this mod for exactly how to do it.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I like your plan. However, I would likely do the injectors only after transmission upgrade.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:45 PM

More questions for the group. We are considering one of the Smarty's with POD, maybe a Touch or S06 so the tunes can grow with the mods my son does to the truck.

Can anyone answer this, are the POD's truly "on-demand", meaning, can he change the power setting without having to turn the truck off or go through some other elaborate process. I guess what I'm asking is can POD's be changed at the touch of button from stop light to stop light?

Also, I know the touch is a programmer and monitor all in one. Are there any monitors that work in conjunction with the S06 so he can monitor and still change POD settings? Any recommendations?

Last, on the Cummins, what are the must monitor PID's. I know EGT but what else?
Thanks,

TXPower
Old 04-24-2017, 04:25 PM

I would monitor fuel pressure, rail pressure and oil pressure.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:15 PM

CRF450R, I'm guessing he can buy a 3 pod gauge cluster and plumb the sensors to monitor each into each system fairly simply?

Thanks,

TXPower
Old 04-25-2017, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by TXPOWER
CRF450R, I'm guessing he can buy a 3 pod gauge cluster and plumb the sensors to monitor each into each system fairly simply?

Thanks,

TXPower
yes. They edge insight CTS 2 is also an option. I haven't looked into that monitor that much, but i know you can monitor more then the first insight CTS.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:26 AM

Can ya'll advise what level gallon per hour FASS we should go with that will cover his build from now till he's at 500 to 550hp?

Thanks,

TXPower
Old 04-27-2017, 11:38 AM

Can ya'll advise what level gallon per hour FASS we should go with that will cover his build from now till he's at 500 to 550hp?

Thanks,

TXPower
you won't need one, the stock pump will do just fine. But the better filtration will be a good thing to have to prolong the life of the injectors.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:55 PM

So would you recommend one of the big line kits with 2mic filter setups instead if we don't need a more powerful pump?

Thanks,

TXPower
Old 04-27-2017, 04:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
More questions for the group. We are considering one of the Smarty's with POD, maybe a Touch or S06 so the tunes can grow with the mods my son does to the truck.

Can anyone answer this, are the POD's truly "on-demand", meaning, can he change the power setting without having to turn the truck off or go through some other elaborate process. I guess what I'm asking is can POD's be changed at the touch of button from stop light to stop light?

Also, I know the touch is a programmer and monitor all in one. Are there any monitors that work in conjunction with the S06 so he can monitor and still change POD settings? Any recommendations?

Last, on the Cummins, what are the must monitor PID's. I know EGT but what else?
Thanks,

TXPower
Yes the POD is on demand, you can change it at anytime while the truck is running. POD is not like changing tunes though, it is more like re-calibrating the throttle pedal.

I find i don't change tunes much anyways, spring/fall or towing heavy is the only time i change the tune.

The Smarty Touch is a great monitoring device, the tunes are nice too.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:48 PM

So would you recommend one of the big line kits with 2mic filter setups instead if we don't need a more powerful pump?

Thanks,

TXPower
yes. Something like this. http://m.dieselfuelfilterkits.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dieselfuelfilterkits.com%2F& utm_referrer=#2970 I don't think a true 2 micron absolute filter exists after i have done lots of research on filters, so i use Donaldson P551313 which is an absolute 3 micron filter. I actually have a water separator, a 5 micron filter and then my 3 micron filter.