3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Projector Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Projector Headlights

I reading a post about the 2nd gen headlights and how bad they are and somebody wanted to changed to 3rd gens. I ofcourse thought the 3rd gens were much better than the 2nd gens headlights. But I think I am being fooled by the fog lights that I didnt have on my old truck. So I rode around last night with out the fogs on. These things are as bad as the old ones. Anyone running projectors and hae you had any issue with condensation? Or any lamp out lights
Old 01-12-2007, 06:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm waiting to see the results of this.....
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...7&page=1&pp=15

MikeyB
Old 01-12-2007, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Projectors suck big hairy ones. I have ran, and then threw in the garbage a set. I am now running a custom set of factory ones, with silverstar bulbs, and a britebox with fog light. Thats the ticket. I was testing them out tonight on the way to my daughters, I also have a set of liteforce, which I used to have to run if I wanted to see anything, not now,, in fact I couldnt even hardly tell they were on

Kevin
Old 01-13-2007, 01:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Silverstar Bulbs. Are they plug and play or do you have to modify the harness to make them work?
Old 01-13-2007, 02:04 AM

I think the normal lights are enough. I ride to work in the morning before dark every day. If I had suped up lights ....great I can see fine..currently I have stock lights and I can see fine. I want to assalt people with super lights. For the most part it's not nessesary and it makes my commute horrible. I guess it's all fun and games till a 9,000 lb smashes you cause you think your cool head lights blinds the driver of this particular rig!
Old 01-13-2007, 03:27 AM
Banned

Silverstars $uck...

Just do a Search on them and you will see all the unhappy members.

Either leave them stock or go with HID's.

Yes its still leagle to run HID in a projector housing if you want to get technical and its illeage to drive over 55mph while towing but we all still do it.

These ebay projectors have been discussed a few times with no too much performance to brag about. Now HID's on the other hand are the only way to go and affordable saftey insurance at $225
Old 01-13-2007, 04:00 AM

ge nighthawk's are the way to go, the philips aren't a bad option either but I would stay away from silverstars they just get tooooooo hot . mod the fog bulbs to fit and do the wire trick (or on a 06+ enable on the ecm) to get the headlights and fogs on at the same time. then upgrade the stock wiring to a heavier gauge.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Speaking of wiring upgrades, anyone tried this kit? http://www.suvlights.com/product_inf...roducts_id=115

I noticed my passenger side headlight is slightly dimmer than the driver side. With the Silverstars and the Nighthawks.

MikeyB
Old 01-13-2007, 01:01 PM

In the instructions for the britebox they suggest only using sylvania products (ie silverstar) They say that they have tested most brands and find that the ge's and phillips seem to not last as long due to thinner wires. I am running the silverstars and do not find that they run any hotter. Also with the britebox it pulls power from your battery so that you dont put your wiring at risk

Kevin

IMHO the britbox is worth every penny, now I can see in the ditches and see the critters before they jump on the road
Old 01-13-2007, 03:18 PM

Does the brite box do anything if you don't have your hi-beams on? From what I've read it looks like it only runs hi's and low's together. I want way brighter low beams.
Thanks,
Darrell
Old 01-13-2007, 03:26 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric Logan
Silverstars $uck...

Just do a Search on them and you will see all the unhappy members.

Either leave them stock or go with HID's.

Yes its still leagle to run HID in a projector housing if you want to get technical and its illeage to drive over 55mph while towing but we all still do it.

These ebay projectors have been discussed a few times with no too much performance to brag about. Now HID's on the other hand are the only way to go and affordable saftey insurance at $225
I installed Silverstars on my 96 and was happy enough with the results. It's not a night to day improvement (ha-ha) but for spending under $50, it was worthwhile. To be fair, I'll admit I installed a relay kit at the same time and ran its feed right off the back of the alternator for the least voltage drop.

Still considering a swap to sport quad lamps, but I'll think about it for awhile.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dalbery
Does the brite box do anything if you don't have your hi-beams on? From what I've read it looks like it only runs hi's and low's together. I want way brighter low beams.
Thanks,
Darrell
I put silverstars in my fog lights too, to me it seems to be very good on low beam, I only used to be upset at high beam,, but not anymore

Kevin