3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Oponions on cab lights.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 12:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
Wow, the Vehicle is stupid!!! I think it's retarded that you have to have amber or red, or white turn signal and marker lights. I can see having a standard for brakes and reverse, but the point of marker lights is to MARK where the vehicle is. The point of turn signals is to alert people you are turning. Having all kinds of different colored light would actually get MORE attention and thereby alert drivers better than having everyone have the same colors. It is SOOOO STUPID!!!
Are red cab lights illegal? I heard they are unless they are pointed backwards...apparently it looks like a police car.

I'm all for having a standard in colors of lights. Makes things so much easier for all drivers to identify. I know we are educated citizens but if some car pulled up behind an "average" citizen with green cab lights, what would they do?

White cab lights are legal...a friend of mine has some and we pass cops all the time even in a college town where cops delight more in alcohol tickets and traffic tickets than robberies.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:11 AM

Cool

Actually, white cab lights are not legal. All lights on vehicles are covered by DOT standards.

FOWARD FACING: Only headlamps and driving lamps are allowed to be white. Only 4 white lamps are allowed to be visible at a time. Turn signals and marker lamps must be amber.

REARWARD FACING: Only red lamps are allowed on brake lamps and marker lamps. Turn signals may be amber or red. Back up lamp must be white (and not lit while in foward motion).

SIDE LAMPS: All side running lamps must be amber, except the last lamp must be red. The last lamp must be red only if it is within close proximity to the end of the vehicle.

REFLECTORS: Foward facing reflectors must be amber, rear facing must be red.

CLEARANCE LAMPS: All vehicles that are 1 ton and larger (includes duelleys) are required to have 5 foward and rearward facing "Identification Lamps". These are called clearance lamps by common jargon alone. ID lamps signify the vehicle is of larger width and/or height than a passenger car/light truck. The lamps are to be a combination of 1 lamp on either side with a cluster of 3 in the middle, positioned as close to the top of the vehicle as practicle.

Any lamp that does not conform to DOT standards (on all vehicles) is considered "glaring and dazling". It is also against DOT standards to change the functioning of manufacturer installed lamps.

Not a sermon, just a few facts to keep you guys from getting cited for what you may think looks cool.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pgcountycop
Actually, white cab lights are not legal. All lights on vehicles are covered by DOT standards.

FOWARD FACING: Only headlamps and driving lamps are allowed to be white. Only 4 white lamps are allowed to be visible at a time. Turn signals and marker lamps must be amber.

REARWARD FACING: Only red lamps are allowed on brake lamps and marker lamps. Turn signals may be amber or red. Back up lamp must be white (and not lit while in foward motion).

SIDE LAMPS: All side running lamps must be amber, except the last lamp must be red. The last lamp must be red only if it is within close proximity to the end of the vehicle.

REFLECTORS: Foward facing reflectors must be amber, rear facing must be red.

CLEARANCE LAMPS: All vehicles that are 1 ton and larger (includes duelleys) are required to have 5 foward and rearward facing "Identification Lamps". These are called clearance lamps by common jargon alone. ID lamps signify the vehicle is of larger width and/or height than a passenger car/light truck. The lamps are to be a combination of 1 lamp on either side with a cluster of 3 in the middle, positioned as close to the top of the vehicle as practicle.

Any lamp that does not conform to DOT standards (on all vehicles) is considered "glaring and dazling". It is also against DOT standards to change the functioning of manufacturer installed lamps.

Not a sermon, just a few facts to keep you guys from getting cited for what you may think looks cool.
Good info!
Old 12-03-2006, 01:22 PM

Just installed my new recon smoke led cab and fender lights. They look much better than the old smoke lights. The new cab lights have three led lights in them and they actually look like smoke lights.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Luvnacumns
was that installed - probably not - did you do the install yourself?? How hard was it??

THanks Shane
Shane, that was the price just for the lights then I smoked them myself. The install was not that bad took about 2hrs. But drilling into the roof of my new truck was not easy! The factory setup comes with the templet so that made it much easier Recon does NOT supply one. One more reason not to use them unless you already had the lights from the factory. Besides a drill and 1/4" bit you will need I think it was a 5/8" metal bit you can get them at Home Depot. I like the look and the added security of knowing that people know there is a large truck coming toward them at night.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:52 PM

Here is a picture of them at night they are just as bright and are the proper color. But in the day look almost black.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by subspd
Here are mine

I had problems with the recon lights they were not complete for someone who didn't already have them and the company took forever to ship them out. These are the ones from the factory that I added and then I smoked them my self. At night they are as bright as they were. I like the look of cab lights plus I think there is added benefit at night people always give a little more space. The big rig add lights not just because they like them it helps keep people around them alert. my truck is big and black so I want others from missing it at night. I am also going to add some running light down low on the sides to help.
Fugly!!!!!! Thats really #@*%..I guess if you like it thats all that matters. You can certainly tell that you sprayed them with paint. The new Recons are awesome and all l.e.d. Yes I will agree the old ones were not that great, but to spray an amber cab light...
Old 12-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Banned

subspd

Looks good!! I am just goona get the kit from dodge.. I have heard a lot of problems with Recon and that they're CS sucks!!! I am usually one to check three times and do it right that screw something up!! and I hate calling CS and they don't even know what to do..

Thanks Shane

I'll Post pic's when it's done..

Right now I am in the process of painting my window ventvisors, handles, mirrors and finding a replacent for the one I broke allready!!!!!! and debadging her.. Along with painting the shell..
Old 12-04-2006, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by displacedtexan
They are required by law on a dually. (Due to the width.)
Yeah, I hate that law............
I sold my dually to buy this new truck. I was going back and forth on a new dually or the SRW. One of the factors against the DRW was the cab lights!
Old 12-05-2006, 06:35 PM

A vehicle over 80 inches wide requires identifaction lights front and rear and marker lights showing the full width of the truck. The lights forward facing may be amber to white and the lights facing rear shall be amber to red in color. That is federal law. The marker lights do not have to be on the cab roof, only the id lights which are three in the middle of the cab as high as practical. Factories generally put all five on the roof.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by RAMFREAK26
Fugly!!!!!! Thats really #@*%..I guess if you like it thats all that matters. You can certainly tell that you sprayed them with paint. The new Recons are awesome and all l.e.d. Yes I will agree the old ones were not that great, but to spray an amber cab light...
Well tell us how you really feel?

They dont look 'spray painted' this pic was taken in the rain. They also have four coats of clear coat on them. I hope Recon has improved they were a joke it only took over 2 MONTHS to get the lights that were then not complete. I am not the only one who has had a horrible time with them. Maybe h*ll has frozen over and things are better.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by subspd
Well tell us how you really feel?

They dont look 'spray painted' this pic was taken in the rain. They also have four coats of clear coat on them. I hope Recon has improved they were a joke it only took over 2 MONTHS to get the lights that were then not complete. I am not the only one who has had a horrible time with them. Maybe h*ll has frozen over and things are better.

I think they look great! Good job.
chuck