3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Opinions on TST CR

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Opinions on TST CR

I have the Diablo stack + a boost fooler and I like it a lot but I'm thinking of a TST R37AP (no gauges) to get the change-on-the-fly ability. The Diablo really rocks but I don't like the way aggressive throttle on the higher tunes. I've tried every tune Diablo has, including the custom tunes and I had to do timed runs with all the tunes to figure out which ones were the fastest cuz they don't publish much power info on their tunes. Several of the crazy high tunes gave almost exactly the same ETs but the engine noises were different - some I didn't like at all. Diablo tunes also leave a big gap between the 100hp and the really high hp tunes - I want something in the middle. The TST looks like it would be very predictable and have more combos with simple 1 - 9 settings for tq and hp. I just read up on Smarty and it looks kinda confusing. They say tunes 4-9 yield nearly identical top end hp but the difference is the way it's done. That's exactly what I don't want - the Diablo is like that. It doesn't look like it's any easier to figure out the Smarty tunes than it is to figure out the Diablo stack tunes. Please tell me anything you can about TST CRs. I doubt if I will switch just to get the change-on-the-fly but if throttle response stays like a stocker or close to it, I'll do it. Craig
Old 11-06-2010, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my TST R37, I will not give it up. I have one of the first units released.

Since I have had it, up/down graded, to the 4 selectable tunes, 03 twins/05 twins/Standard/Economy.(I liked my original tune best)

With a stock CP3, you cannot run the tq setting above 2, and expect the rail not to drain early, especially on the 03 twins program.

03/05 twins program, stock CP3, set it at 5/2, Standard program you may get by with 5/3 if your CP3 is sound. If you set the tq above 2, it will tax the CP3 too hard down low, and it will never recover.

The TST may not beat your Diablo stack....It has the potential. I cannot run it(TST) at the present, my truck will not tolerate anything over 55lbs boost, Smarty keeps me right there.

Throttle response and trans shifting(auto)is like stock with the TST.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:56 PM

Thanks JJ! Stock throttle response... that's what I want. I get more than enough power (both low end tq. and top end hp) to trip my trigger, out of my stock CP3/injectors and stock clutch. I want lots of top end power with a civil feeling throttle. The Predator 100 hp makes the throttle as touchy as I want. The high hp tunes are a blast but the even quicker throttle sucks for the mostly city/mixed driving I do. Diablo says they don't add pressure but they admit pressure raises as a consequence of the duration and timing modification. I wonder if pressure really stays at stock levels with TST CRs. Craig
Old 11-07-2010, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new TST's have a pressure option(I believe), mine does not. I have an edge EZ, been on my truck since the day I drove it off the lot brand new. The EZ stays on power level 2, it's where I leave it, no matter what other tune I run.

The TST/EZ stack is still a great combo, TST 5/2, EZ 2, stock CP3, stock injectors, right at 500 pony's
Old 11-07-2010, 11:32 AM

Yeh, I'm thinking of getting a new R49, if I do it, and having all the goodies to play with. I already had gauges when I bought the Pred and I wanted to keep things seperated in case I ever wanted to change just one component but now I think it would be nice to have more features/choices. I talked to Mark Chappell when the CRs first came out and one of Marks friends at Cummins told him NOT to add any pressure when he developed his boxes. Now, it's obvious they can take a little more so an R49 would be useful. Craig