3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Opinions on hose replacements

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on hose replacements

My truck has 110K miles and all original hoses. Any opinions on whether the below hose kit would be a good investment or a waste? Asking price for everything is $425. I've blown the factory intercooler hose off three times while towing grades. Thinking this might help. Thoughts appreciated...

Here is a link to the page for more info:
http://www.mrbobsdistributing.com/dodge.htm
Attached Thumbnails Opinions on hose replacements-hoses.jpg  
Old 06-24-2009, 04:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The big advantage to silicone hose is that they last a long time. Your's lasted 110K miles. How much longer do you expect to drive this particular truck?

If you're blowing off turbo hoses, you need a better clamp and a better retainer lip.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:25 PM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
I replaced mine with silcone hoses several years ago. Not those as they werent out yet at the time but by a company called SPA and there was a group buy on them. In any case I changed mine out at around the 100k mark and the stock ones while they werent leaking or anything some were very soft and spongy in places, particularily the lower rad hose. My lower pass side boot was worn very thin in one spot from rubbing on a sensor (ac I think) it was probably within a month or two of going all the way through. The Silicone hoses were awesome. Much much heavier duty. My set did not come with new clamps so they were extra for the spring loaded clamps. Very nice clamps. That looks like a lot of money for hoses. However if you were to price the individual hoses especially the charge air boots from the dealer the price is very good. Be prepared to possibly wrestle on the charge air boots they are not like the flimsy stock ones. I personally would not hesitate to do them if I felt the stock ones were used up/worn out. My silicone hoses now have 150kish on them and while they are a bit dirtier on the outside than from when I put them on they do not appear to have softened or gotten spongy yet at all as I have checked them thoroughly just recently.
If you plan on keeping the truck for quite some time I would do it but as a previous poster noted if you arent planning on keeping it for the long term I might pass on them.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:55 PM

I plan on getting the max I can out of the truck (ie: another 150K). Sounds like the hose swapout could be good preventative maintenance. The clamps look better than stock and some of my hoses feel pretty weak/squishy.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:08 PM

seems like alot just for rubber boots and clamps
Old 06-24-2009, 06:50 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
all my hoses are original OEM215000 miles
Old 06-24-2009, 08:24 PM

Looks like a nice set, a bit on the expensive side, but not if you compare it to OEM parts from Dodge.

Another source is Diesel Power Products, I purchased just the boost hoses and clamps from them, along with a Cool Blue Hose to replace my AFE torque tube. They were all heavy grade silicone and available in blue, red, or black, and less $ than the Mr Bobs. I would contact Bryan@dieselpowerproducts.com, it's usually beneficial to shop around.