3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Newbie here, have a few questions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 08:48 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newbie here, have a few questions?

Well, soon enough I am trading in my 03 7.3 PSD on a Cummins. I am not familiar at all with the mods on the Cummins. With the Ford, I had a Diesel Innovations 4 position chip (very happy with that), 4" exhaust from turbo back, Airriad air filter, Iss Pro EV gauges (preturbo EGT, boost, and tranny temp) I think the Dodge uses a fuel box or something instead of a chip???? What do I need to get, and from who? Is there a performance shop in Houston for Dodge's ( I am sure there is, just need to know the name of 'em) Thanks for the help.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have learned in the past no matter what you do sticking with one performance shop with their own products is your best bet. Here ia a ton of links to help ya.Click here for Links

I personally like and have used in the past with no problems is Diesel Dynamics or Piers, to me they are the Formula 1 of the diesel hp boys
Old 04-08-2004, 04:49 PM

second that Gary. SSminnow to answer your question, yes we in the Cummins world refer to "fueling boxes". they are separate electronic appliances that hook in to various parts of the engine. As an interesting aside, I've picked up a sense from the industry that the Dodge/Cummins fueling box industry is a bit behind the equivalent for Ford because:

1. Ford has a larger market in diesel light trucks right now. so companies go after revenue and have a tendancy to go to market first on the Ford products.

2. Cummins presents some engineering challenges, especially with regard to timing advance. nobody can do it now with absolute 100% reliabilty without ever setting an engine code (one mfg, TST is very close but not quite there yet).

anyway, here is a link to some explanitory verbiage on fueling boxes and how I rate them. at the end of the article is a link to a comparative matrix of the boxes available to day for the 3rd gen Cummins.

pretty much you have the same approach to modification -- air, gauges, more fuel,
Old 04-08-2004, 04:55 PM
Banned

Well, guys, thanks for the info, and the links. I will be digesting quite a bit over the next few months. My 03 PSD was simple, but yet made quite a bit of power for the mods (at least I think so) On a chassis dyno it made 320 HP and 639 Ft Lbs of Torque with the DI chip, exhaust and air filter. I am hoping to get those numbers with similar mods, and from what I have read so far, seems reasonable enough.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by SSminnow
Well, guys, thanks for the info, and the links. I will be digesting quite a bit over the next few months. My 03 PSD was simple, but yet made quite a bit of power for the mods (at least I think so) On a chassis dyno it made 320 HP and 639 Ft Lbs of Torque with the DI chip, exhaust and air filter. I am hoping to get those numbers with similar mods, and from what I have read so far, seems reasonable enough.
egads, those numbers are a walk in the park. The newest Cummins 600 already makes 325 HP at the flywheel. the weakest fueling box on the market today (Van Aaken pressure box. its in the matrix) makes over 650 ft lbs at the rear wheels and about the RWHP you state.

so just do a little research and you'll find that any of the RAMs from 03 and above will be easy to reach your goals.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:14 PM
Banned

Well, that is what I am hoping (the walk in the park) A buddy of mine has an '04 CC DRW 6speed Cummins, and he pulled a 7000TT from San Marcus to Houston, and he said down low, it felt "lazy", but once at speed, it had alot more to offer. I have been as heavy as 30K, and that was really working the truck, but most of my hauling is with my 2 car hauler, so I am typically @ 17K or so. I like having that extra ummmph to her, ya know?
Old 04-09-2004, 07:52 AM

yea exactly. so -called pressure boxes are very simple in what they do, and liven up the truck in the low end. DC has been shooting at a "touchy throttle" enemy from the previous gen trucks, so the current 03+ trucks are very smooth down low and almost lazy -- so I agree with your buddy's statement. A quick, very easy fix with any available box out there and your'e set. Replace the piece-o-junk factory air box, get a box, and you're done (well dont forget guages).