3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Newbie to Diesels

Old 03-13-2017, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie to Diesels

Yesterday I started a thread in the 1st gen cummins section. Wanted to learn more about diesels. As the day went my buddies sent me a picture of this truck and it's guys within my budget. It's a 2003 model 5.9 automatic truck.
If I buy this truck what mods can I do for towing? I'll be constantly TOWING a 20ft open trailer with a 3200 lb camaro on the trailer. I plan on towing to bowling green Kenkucky randomly and down to Baton Rouge Lousiana and maybe even Florida. All those states are 6 plus hours away from me.
I'll only have 3 grand left for modifications.

Again im a LS guy and don't know the first thing about diesels. It's embarrassing but it's the truth....

What Programmer?
What cold air intake?
What exhaust system? I want a quiet exhaust recommendation. I love my music and I want to hear my music on the way to events and going back home. What else can I buy for mods. Remember 3 grand is all I have for mods but I want to maximize the truck. Truck never will be raced!! That's what I got my camaro for. Thanks for the help as always.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:01 AM

Here's the truck... advice welcome
Old 03-14-2017, 08:53 AM
EDR

I suggest you do a search for programmers and the other options you're looking for. Lots of good information on the site.

I use a Smarty Jr. programmer. It has several options and wakes up the truck. Easy to install, but takes a bit of effort to get the files loaded onto you computer.

I have the stock intake with a good filter. Works well for me.
I did install a borla cat back system, but mainly because I got a good deal on it.

To get more feedback on the truck you're looking at it would be helpful to include the mileage, motor and tranny condition (stock, rebuilt, etc.), repair and service history, options, etc.

You may want to ask what to look for on an 03 as many members will have ideas on issues to look for.

My advice would be to find a good truck, have it inspected at a shop before buying, and get a programmer like the Smarty. Then put the rest of the money in the bank to cover future maintenance costs. A set of injectors will cost you $$ and many owners usually have to have theirs rebuilt or buy a new set at some point.

Good luck.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:13 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to DTR.

The above advice is good. Frankly, based solely on the information you provided, I would do no more than pick up a smarty jr and leave everything else stock.

You'll get no better performance from either the cold air intake or the alternative exhaust except that you'll be lighter in the wallet. The aftermarket exhaust will likely be louder unless you get one that has both muffler and resonator.

The load you describe is a light one for the truck. There are only three issues to research off the top of my head that may cost you some $$. All of these are mileage and usage dependent-- or, how many miles and how hard was the truck used.

First is the canister mounted fuel pump. They have a tendency to go after the 100k mile range. Second is what shape is the transmission in? Especially if you have the 47re vs the 48re. The torque converters being the weak link there. Finally the injectors. The injectors are expensive and can get finicky after 100k miles on up dependent on how it was driven, did previous owner have a pressure box installed (one way to get more power... Banks, Edge EZ, Power Puck are examples, but not the only ones) as they shorten injector life.

Let it idle and pull the oil fill cap on top of the valve cover and put your hand over the top and check for excessive blow by as well. There will always be some (with all diesels) but if it's really pushing your hand away, it may need a compression check.

Good luck on your purchase, I am sure you will enjoy it!
Old 03-16-2017, 01:36 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Tusky
Yesterday I started a thread in the 1st gen cummins section. Wanted to learn more about diesels. As the day went my buddies sent me a picture of this truck and it's guys within my budget. It's a 2003 model 5.9 automatic truck.
If I buy this truck what mods can I do for towing? I'll be constantly TOWING a 20ft open trailer with a 3200 lb camaro on the trailer. I plan on towing to bowling green Kenkucky randomly and down to Baton Rouge Lousiana and maybe even Florida. All those states are 6 plus hours away from me.
I'll only have 3 grand left for modifications.

Again im a LS guy and don't know the first thing about diesels. It's embarrassing but it's the truth....

What Programmer?
What cold air intake?
What exhaust system? I want a quiet exhaust recommendation. I love my music and I want to hear my music on the way to events and going back home. What else can I buy for mods. Remember 3 grand is all I have for mods but I want to maximize the truck. Truck never will be raced!! That's what I got my camaro for. Thanks for the help as always.
if it was mine, i would just tow with it the way it is and go from there....maybe you won't have to do any thing!
Old 03-16-2017, 02:38 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
I would agree with John, use the truck before you start adding things to it. If you are accustomed to LS gas engines you are already leeps and bounds ahead with the torque an inline 6 Diesel engine has.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:32 AM

Guess ill leave it stock.... kinda hard to do being a gearhead.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put on a modded 351 turbo off of a 04.5 and newer truck. Not too pricey but flows better, improves mileage and drivability. I'm a six speed guy so save up some tokens to get your tranny built. If you want to tow get a 6 spd.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by CRToney
Put on a modded 351 turbo off of a 04.5 and newer truck. Not too pricey but flows better, improves mileage and drivability. I'm a six speed guy so save up some tokens to get your tranny built. If you want to tow get a 6 spd.
Good info on the turbo..... haven't heard of that trick there. I'm a stick guy as well but honestly my camaro is a stick. I want to save my leg energy for my car at the track. Hate my leg to be tired from clutching the truck then I'll have to clutch my camaro as well.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:25 AM

Questions..... Anyone makes a towing torque converter for these trucks ? I keep hearing the transmission is the weak link on these trucks. Will a torque converter upgrade help keep stress off the trans ?
Old 03-25-2017, 12:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Tusky
Good info on the turbo..... haven't heard of that trick there. I'm a stick guy as well but honestly my camaro is a stick. I want to save my leg energy for my car at the track. Hate my leg to be tired from clutching the truck then I'll have to clutch my camaro as well.
The NV5600 is super easy to slip shift, even better when loaded.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:07 PM

I have a pair of 3rd gens, both 2005 model, both 4 doors, one 2500 short box the other 3500 dually 8ft box. The 2500 is hopped up, bigger turbo, injectors, & trans mods it kicks like mule - like shake the trailer on the ball - hard. The 3500 is pretty much stock. I have 16ft open trailer and haul cars like your Camaro typically. I also have a 16,000 to 18,000Lbs 5th wheel. The mods on the 2500 are fun except when you hook up a really heavy trailer. With the car trailer you and tromp on it and pass. But with the 5th wheel it feels like your going to snap the hitch over time, just not a good feeling.
You don't need to do anything to the truck to haul what your planning to haul even when I tow the car trailer with the 3500 you for get that it is there.

I also picked 2005 model year for a few reasons one being the 48RE trans, You'll want to do some home work on that meaning the 47RE Vs the 48RE trans.
I would have gotten manuals but hard to find and if you do find one you pay for it, as such I've grown to like the auto's They keep the engine in the power band, and auto down shift to hold speed on down hill / engine brake.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:02 PM

I just want it pull the car at 70 mph No problem. That's the speed limit here on the highway. Sometimes 55 mph.

I do however wasnt to do some "safe mods" to the truck for TOWING.

I know the 6 speed trucks are better but i just want to get in the truck and go without clutching. I'll be clutching the camaro at the track enough.