3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Aftermarket stereo with Infinity speakers... can't get it to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Aftermarket stereo with Infinity speakers... can't get it to work.

Mornin, DTR.

My stock unit's CD player took a poo, I have the upgraded sound package with the infinity sound system and the 6 cd changer.

I purchased a Sony something or other from wally world, just wanted something with CD player and an aux jack. After I hooked it up, I have power, but no sound from any speaker. I used the trouble shooting steps that the radio manual offered, that did not help, and plugged the stock stereo back in to make sure I had not screwed anything up, the stocker still worked.

I soldered the wires together from the aftermarket harness to the new radio, so I'm pretty sure I have good connections everywhere. I'm going to do a continuity check on all of the connections, but it's not that hard, and I should be getting sound from at least one speaker...

I'm just wondering if the infinity system has some weird crap that I don't know about. There was a supplemental instruction in the wiring kit that said I had to apply power to the infinity system, which I did...

Thanks for reading.

mad
Old 10-09-2011, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the infinity system have an amp somewhere that needs to be powered up?
Old 10-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

That was mentioned in the wiring harness directions, it is hooked up...

It said to hook it to the antenna power source, maybe I should hook it up to another power source and see what happens...
Old 10-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

I figured it out... when it said to hook one blue wire to the other blue wire... it meant BOTH blue wires... who would have thought?
Old 10-10-2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by madhat
I figured it out... when it said to hook one blue wire to the other blue wire... it meant BOTH blue wires... who would have thought?
One blue wire is remote turn on (for amps) and the other is the power antenna lead. DO NOT hook up both blue wires to the trucks amp turn on though.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Too late now, buddy... they're both in there and working fine. Do I need to take it back apart?
Old 10-10-2011, 05:18 PM

You should use the blue with a white stripe. Put in a CD and see what happens. The antenna lead may send a ground signal when a CD is played. (i.e., to lower a power antenna). If it does not cause an issue, I guess it will be ok.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

It sounds good to me. I had followed the directions to hook the blue wire from the aftermarket harness to the blue or blue and white wire that was labeled 'ant power' to give the amp power... that did not work, so I switched blue wires... tried every combo of single wires hooked up, then I hooked them all together, and 'viola!
Old 10-10-2011, 05:49 PM

Cool. Play a CD just to see what happens. You will probably be ok.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:54 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

I already did, and it sounds great. If the dang antenna jack in the back didn't need some weird adapter, I'd be playing everything by now.

I'm actually kinda worried about my speakers now, it pushes pretty good, better than the stock radio.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:41 PM

Cool. The reason I said to play a CD is because when you insert a CD the tuner turns off which sends a signal to the power antenna wire telling the power antenna to retract (if you had one, which you do not). Seems like there are no issues. Stock speakers blow! I recommend Focal speakers.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:24 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

The speakers in my truck are pretty sweet for stock.

I'm probably going to get something in the back, maybe a 10 or something under the back seat, but nothing stupid.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:47 PM

The infinity system employs an amp on each speaker.
You are still running on the exact wattage the factory gave you.
Your new stereo was designed to push speakers.
If you turn it up too loud you could damage your speaker amp inputs
Old 10-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Yeah... I'm getting old... I don't turn it up too loud
Old 10-11-2011, 11:16 PM

My stereo took a crap also, I put in a double din pioneer dvd, cd system. I took the infinity stuff out and put in 1-4ch 300 watt amp for the door speakers and a 150 amp for the 1 12'' sub. the rear speakers are pioneer 4 way 6"1/4 and the front are 3 way kickers. I'm going to pull out the kickers and put in pioneer 4 ways. The amp's and sub are fosgate. The system sounds outstanding. And yes i'm old but I love great sound....lol I also did the custom dash then I had it linexed it looks great

Quick Reply: Aftermarket stereo with Infinity speakers... can't get it to work.