3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New Smarty JR software weak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This will be my first upgrade since buying my Jr. If I download the new software, will the smarty also keep the old software that I have loaded in there now? If not, how would I go back to the original software if I don't like the new one? I can't find any old software versions on MADS website.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by andes2
This will be my first upgrade since buying my Jr. If I download the new software, will the smarty also keep the old software that I have loaded in there now? If not, how would I go back to the original software if I don't like the new one? I can't find any old software versions on MADS website.
It removes the old software and there is no way to keep a copy of it. If you don't keep it somewhere else, it's gone for good. I've got copies of V17-20 if that'll help, and I'm sure there are others who have kept old tunes just in case.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:24 PM

Is there a way to save the original software to the PC before upgrading to the new one?
If not then I wish MADS would tell new buyers to download the current version when they buy it so then they can upgrade when a new one comes out but have the assurance they can go back to what they got when they bought it.

I'm sure the new one will be ok from what I've read on this thread, but I like the one I have now, v12 I think.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:02 PM

There's no way I can find that allows you to copy the software from the Smarty to a PC. I'm sure it's technically possible, but I don't have the computer skills necessary to do it without risking damage to the programmer. Most Smartys ship with the newest software already loaded, so what you get is what's most recently available. It's when you wait around for awhile before looking at the updates that you miss a few software versions. Don't feel too bad about it, I went from v14 to v19, although I actually downloaded v17 and v18 but never installed them.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:13 PM

Thanks, that's what I thought. I'll know now to check for updates more often now, and at least download them to my pc, even if I don't upgrade the jr.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:15 PM

Has anybody been able to tell if there is a difference between v19 and v20 ?
Old 08-15-2011, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Zeus1987
Has anybody been able to tell if there is a difference between v19 and v20 ?
I've got a whopping 90 miles so far, and the only thing I've noticed for sure is slightly more smoke at low boost. It's not as bad as my v14 software, but it's not as clean as v19 was. What I can't determine yet, is whether this extra smoke is from more fueling down-low (modified fuel/MAP table) in v20 or if it's from a longer turbo spool time due to more aggressive timing advance (change in timing/RPM table). I'm leaning towards more fueling as it seems to pull just as strong through the mid-range as v19 but may (stress the word MAY) pull stronger from the bottom end with very low boost levels, and the only way to make that happen is add more fuel more quickly...

More research to follow
Old 08-15-2011, 01:22 PM

If one looks on the MADS site the latest software version for the Jr is 5.13. Is that correct? Or am I looking in the wrong place?
Old 08-15-2011, 01:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes version 5.13, revision 20.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:55 PM

I just down loaded and updated my JR with the new 5.13 version 20. Time to load it and see how it works. I will let you all know how it works.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:47 PM

So I loaded up v20 this AM and had to drive out to the lake and pick up my 5th wheel. Had to gas up first so I got to try this out with some city driving, about a 1 hour highway drive and then a 1 hour tow. I loaded sw2 which I had for the old software, and as I found out later it also kept my TM and TQ settings the way I had them as well...TM default TQ 4.

All I can say is WOW!!! I am impressed. Truck runs so much smoother and shifts have improved and the throttle response in my truck has greatly improved. I actually thought I loaded sw3 by mistake.

The one thing that I did notice was that my EGT's are a little bit higher, but no more than about 50 - 80 at cruising speed.

I posted earlier that I was concerned that I couldn't load my original software back in case I didn't like this one.....no more worries there...I'm keeping this one.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am glad you are happy! On SW3 I didn't notice much of an EGT change, I originally thought it may be a little cooler but am not sure now. I certainly don't think mine is any hotter.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:40 PM

I guess I should have clarified that the increase in EGT's I saw was when I was towing....regular cruising was pretty much the same. Maybe it was because it was very warm today....only one pull so far...will be towing the 5'er again in a cuple of weeks...will monitor it again.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm still on 19 and no noticeable change in EGT's. There are 3 different spots on my way to and from work that they get to 800° and so far with the new version I still only hit 800°. MAYBE a few cooler but not enough to really matter. Definitely not any hotter though.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:28 AM

My buddy loaded up 20 yesterday and said it felt weaker to him than the 19 he had before. What could be up with that?

20 on mine feels awesome on Sw2 TM, TQ4. Feels like it just wants to take off.

Quick Reply: New Smarty JR software weak?