3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New Smarty JR software weak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The throttle feels much more linear, which means that it takes more pedal to get the same power as before. He could be perceiving that as a loss of power, but thats from 18 or older to 19 or 20.

The only difference on 20 from 19 was compatibly for certain ECM's, tuning was unchanged from what I gather.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will say so far that that I'm liking it but hating at the same time. I feel it feels better but it will lay coal like crazy on a rolling take off. Probably worse then past 2 version. From dead stop to mod to heavy throttle minimal smoke. But say 15-20 mph and then have to get on it to pass someone HOLLY HECK it will block out the sun. It will thin quickly but man people behind me are running off the road. This happens with what every tq/tm setting I can try. Maybe a better turbo will help but dang. I wonder if its like as your rolling and give it some throttle there is not as much load demand(unloaded at this time) so I wonder if program sences throttle demand high and load is not if it is over fueling when there is minimal load senced. I through of that after AH64ID says it great towing leaving me to think the load demand is there to warrant the heaver fueling and not for light load demand? Just guessing`
Old 08-17-2011, 09:35 AM

Is your air filter clean? It's also HOT down there this time of year which is killer for smoke.

In the high heat afternoons above 90° I can easily roll a cloud if I get on it hard at 1300-1500 rpms.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:13 PM

Yeh air good. Hot oh holly heck it's hot 110 plus and higher humidity for sure. It's a swamp butt factor of 11. But it's a dry heat they say, not when it's humidity of 50+ and dew point over 60 it's not.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:48 PM

I would say its the temp...
Old 08-18-2011, 12:10 AM

Smile New to Smarty Jr...

Holy Crap!! This thing is great! Really woke up my truck. I am brand new to the Smarty Jr. and just did my first programming tonight (ver 20). I set it to SW2 and left it all to default. I didn't realize what I was missing. It smoked some when cruising at like 45-50 and then hitting WOT, but for normal driving I didn't notice any smoke at all. It will leave some nice tire stripes when you want it to!! I am going to have to figure out how to do all the TQ and TM settings and POD, but for now I guess the default is good.

Spideygill
07 5.9 CTD QC AT 4WD Nitto Terra Grappler 295/70/17s
Old 08-18-2011, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Found another new thing to like about this set of updates: When you roll into the throttle at 2200rpm and 10psi, you instantly hit 30psi and it pulls hard all the way to redline. I'm thinking it might actually pull beyond 3100rpm, but I got scared
Old 08-19-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by riddle family
My buddy loaded up 20 yesterday and said it felt weaker to him than the 19 he had before. What could be up with that?

20 on mine feels awesome on Sw2 TM, TQ4. Feels like it just wants to take off.
Well my buddy switched the torque management and he said it felt better. Was running 3 2 2. Switched to 3 4 4 and he says it feels much better. Did Smarty possibly switch the settings on accident again?
Old 08-20-2011, 06:05 PM

I got mine loaded finally.
I left it on 3 2 2. It acted like a gasser.
When in the past, i stepped on it a bit hard to get out of the way, the motor would just power it's way through with no problem.

With this new program, twice when I did as the in the past, it would downshift to low, and rev out like a gas motor...It did run smother tho.

I towed this weekend, so put it on 2 D D. NOW it runs like it did before.

I a couple of weeks, i'll go back to try it on 3.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:55 PM

Well still not liking the big black burst. I was up in cooler country this weekend and didn't help. Maybe I got a weak turbo or something. Got plenty of fuel. Maybe time to up grade to 2012 and forget all this messing and just drive it.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by quadman20
Well still not liking the big black burst. I was up in cooler country this weekend and didn't help. Maybe I got a weak turbo or something. Got plenty of fuel. Maybe time to up grade to 2012 and forget all this messing and just drive it.
I'm going back to v19 for just this reason...seems like there was much less smoke. v20 is almost as bad as v14 was.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:10 PM

weird. I've noticed about the same amount of smoke on v20 as v19
Old 08-23-2011, 06:23 PM

Must very truck to truck as some say good and other bad. I towed this weekend on sw2 tm default tq defualt and had black cloud at take off felt like a long time till spool up.People were running in the other lane to see. Today changed tq to 4 only change and now it wants to rip my head off once I touch the throttle. I guess I figured it would be less sensitive. I mean all I have to do is rest my foot on the peddle and it takes off. Think going to go back for now.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:38 PM

I'm on V20, TM 3 TQ4 POD 99 and love it. Still about as much smoke as with SW3, TM 4 TQ2, but truck actually feels more responsive. Don't like the smoke, but guess I'll live with it. I change oil every 5K. Also, still have stock tranny so don't beat on it. Have never had skinny peddle to the floor, LOL. Old man enjoying the CTD, just wish it was in a better body with more comfortable seats. Oh well, will work the seat issue later.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:34 PM

Well more testing on settings and so far here's were I'm at. SW3 TM D TQ D OK not as good as 19V seemed slow on the boost hence heavier smoke on take off. SW3 TM2 TQ 4 little difference and slightly less plum. SW3 TM4 TQ2 alot better response but still slow to spool heavy plum. Had to tow so now testing towing setting for both daily and tow. SW2 TM D TQD felt like SW3 TM/TQ D and heavy on plum at take off slow to spool as well. SW2 TM D TQ 4 well lets say throttle is BAM! minimal plum on take off and almost instant boost at take off and at a rolling throttle havent seen my gauge move that fast in awhile. Crusing @65 then giving throttle BAM! she' moving almost instant boost response. Also a side note I notice EGT's increase faster but also fall quicker but so far never off the chart. Also truck is the smoothest it's ever been on this setting. I'm using mechanical gauges just for those that to know. Sw2 TM2 TQ4 not much better then any other still slow spool. Out of all so far SW2 TM D TQ4 feels way stronger then any SW3 so for. I sure hope we don't have crossed levels again. So just thought I'd share.

Quick Reply: New Smarty JR software weak?