3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Airdog design?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Airdog design?

Has anyone put on the new Airdog pump since they changed the pickup design? Drilling through the OEM canister and using your stock pickup tube...... or something like that? I am about to order one, but would like to know if there has been any issues with them, and how in the heck it still works if your stock pump goes out????
Thanks

Jason
Old 07-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

100 or 150?? The 100 is much easier to install than the 150..
Old 07-07-2009, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by cincydiesel
100 or 150?? The 100 is much easier to install than the 150..
Not sure. I spoke with Rich at GDP today, and talked to him about an Airdog. He said they just came up with a new fuel pickup design. Something about drilling through the top of the canister and the tube sitting in the fuel bowl. He wasn't quite sure how it worked because the way he see's it, if the stock fuel pump goes out, he didn't know how the Airdog would pick up fuel in the bottom of the tank being that the Airdog tube only sat as low as the fuel bowl. Without the stock pump working, fuel wouldn't even get to the bowl.???

. I'm not sure how even the stock pump quite works, but this is just what he told me. So don't quote me. He said he talked with Airdog and never really got a straight answer. He asked me if I would post on it and get info from guys that have used this new kit. So, here I am.

Thanks

Jason
Old 07-08-2009, 04:53 PM

No one has installed an Airdog lately?
Old 07-08-2009, 05:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You talking about this one?

http://www.dodge-diesel.org/aiiideflwiad.html
Old 07-08-2009, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by rip 112
Um, that looks like the one. Question is, has anyone used it yet? Like I posted earlier, I'm not familer with the fuel system back at the tank. I have heard others talk about it, and in the event that your stock pump takes a dive, there is no way this one can draw fuel. Help me understand. (and Rich).
Thanks
Old 07-08-2009, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently installed a 150 on mine and i drilled the canister lid. no problems. The stock pump does not put fuel into the canister (only returned fuel) it takes it from the canister. The purpose of the canister is to limit fuel movement around the pump and keep fuel there. My stock pump is turned off (actually i used the factory circuit to energize the airdog relay) and i have drawn my tank all the way down to a gallon or 2. One thing i will tell you though is not to use the return line setup they give with the kit. Buy an additional draw straw for in the canister. Use one for draw and one for return. The reason you want to return the unused fuel to the canister is so you dont draw all the fuel out of the canister and starve the pump (this applies for less than 1/4 tank of fuel). If you think about it these pumps are designed to move 150 gallons per hour. At that rate you can pump all the fuel out of your tank in about 12 minutes. There is no way your engine can use that much fuel that fast. All that fuel has to be put somewhere and that somewhere is returning it to the tank. The canister is not that big and can be drained quite quickly. Do some searches on here and you will find alot about it. My .02
Old 07-08-2009, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by aborgardt
I recently installed a 150 on mine and i drilled the canister lid. no problems. The stock pump does not put fuel into the canister (only returned fuel) it takes it from the canister. The purpose of the canister is to limit fuel movement around the pump and keep fuel there. My stock pump is turned off (actually i used the factory circuit to energize the airdog relay) and i have drawn my tank all the way down to a gallon or 2. One thing i will tell you though is not to use the return line setup they give with the kit. Buy an additional draw straw for in the canister. Use one for draw and one for return. The reason you want to return the unused fuel to the canister is so you dont draw all the fuel out of the canister and starve the pump (this applies for less than 1/4 tank of fuel). If you think about it these pumps are designed to move 150 gallons per hour. At that rate you can pump all the fuel out of your tank in about 12 minutes. There is no way your engine can use that much fuel that fast. All that fuel has to be put somewhere and that somewhere is returning it to the tank. The canister is not that big and can be drained quite quickly. Do some searches on here and you will find alot about it. My .02
Thank you. That helps a lot. I have read and read the issues with the 1/4 tanks, taking fuel from the canister, returning it, etc... I just didn't understand how the new system worked, but you summed it up for me. I guess I was also a little confused on how the (new) draw system worked due to information I recieved from an Airdog dealer. Again, thank you.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sure. One more thing to keep in mind. take note of how far the canister head pops up when you remove the retainer. This will come in handy when you install the draw straw, since it will need to be cut to length.